Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

so this morning we did a bit on the landy and managed to get the axle back on. but we realised one of the studs for the diff needs replacing, so we decided to leave it till weve got a new stud.

axle going on.

P1000722.jpg

so front inner arches.

P1000718.jpg

P1000720.jpg

P1000721.jpg

removing my truck from the spray booth.

P1000723.jpg

P1000724.jpg

out.

P1000731.jpg

:dance:

P1000725.jpg

P1000726.jpg

P1000727.jpg

P1000729.jpg

masking tape and newspaper removed.

P1000730.jpg

P1000732.jpg

P1000733.jpg

i then tried starting her but she wouldnt even turn over. :thumbdown:

yesterday she went first turn having not been started for a week. but not today so i used the bobcat to push her into the yard ready to start on the reassembly.

my first thought was maybe the batteries were dead, so i put them both on charge and began fitting bits.

got the fuel filler cap on.

P1000734.jpg

rear number plate light.

P1000735.jpg

front badge and side repeater.

P1000736.jpg

followed by passenger side inner wheel arch.

P1000737.jpg

P1000738.jpg

engine bay side.

P1000739.jpg

fitted battery trays.

P1000741.jpg

and batteries.

P1000743.jpg

ironman snorkel.

P1000744.jpg

fitted other inner wheel arch.

P1000745.jpg

door handles.

P1000747.jpg

rear vents.

P1000748.jpg

front grill and side lights which are now indicators.

P1000750.jpg

winch tray.

P1000751.jpg

wired up winch.

P1000752.jpg

needs my front ARB style bumper on to finish the front end off nicely.

P1000754.jpg

rear lights arnt working so i need to trace and fix that fault before i screw the lights in.

P1000756.jpg

P1000757.jpg

P1000760.jpg

P1000761.jpg

P1000762.jpg

P1000763.jpg

P1000764.jpg

she still wont bloody start. :thumbdown:

the batteries are both fully charged and the starter is brand new. the ignition turns on and everything works apart from she wont turn over. anyone have any ideas on what it could be? is there a solenoid or anything for the starter?

how do i go about bypassing this ignition circuit and wiring in a switch to turn the engine over?

im thinking that might be my best option, as i will be fitting the new engine soon.

electrical faults is the thing i hate most about vehicles. :evil:

need to get it sorted ready for laning in the lakes next sunday. :thumbup:

Ben, hats off, this is better than any bestseller :) looking forward to the finished shots. What's the next project?

Looks good Ben :thumbup: :mrgreen:

P1180254.jpg

If your starter looks like the one in the right of the picture (lump on the side) this is the solenoid. This should have a larger cable going to in (finger diameter) & a thiner much lighter wire going to it (shoe lace or less), this one is the feed from your ignition & is normally conected to the starter via a spade conector. Remove this & take a feed directly from your battery to the male spade tab on your starter solenoind. Just splash it on to start with, this should turn over the starter. If not you may have an earth problem, get a jump lead from the negative of your battery & clamp it directly onto the body of your starter (avoiding all other cables, terminations & conectors!!!) If Still nothing suspect dirty solenoid, remove starter, strip & clean test on floor with foot on top :D

If you don't have a starter with a lump (solenoid) on the side of it then follow the heavy cable (finger diameter) back from the starter till you find the remotely mounted solenoid, then follow the same proceedure as above :D

Would be good if you have a volt meter of some kind to see if your getting 12v comeing out the end of the solenoid feed wire when you turn the ignition key :)

And check your fuses :thumbup:

Good luck :)

thanks Simon. :thumbup:

hoping to have my truck some near how i want it by xmas. :text-merryxmas:

so engine swap, after Lincomb, then finish rock sliders, build back bumper and the get them both powder coated. also want an X-ENG hand brake, KAM lockers front and back, and new wheels. :thumbup:

hows your engine swap coming on?

id still like to see some pics of how your rock sliders are mounted, particularly the exhaust side. ;)

Steven, thats a huge help, thanks mate. id forgotten your a sparky by trade. i suspect it is an earth fault, so i might try the jump lead to negative terminal on battery, to body of starter first and see if she turns over. :clap: :thumbup:

i will report back later with how i get on. would be nice to be able to start driving to work and back again. :pray:

ben said:
hows your engine swap coming on?

id still like to see some pics of how your rock sliders are mounted, particularly the exhaust side. ;)

Am collecting the cruiser a week today, they are just finishing the wiring this week, looking forward to firing it up!

Will make sure I send you the slider pics when I pick it up.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You may need the famous "Clicky Starter" fix. The solenoid contacts get burnt back and won't pass current to the starter in the end. Just a thought. Plenty of "how-tos" on the forums.

thanks lads. :thumbup:

i used Stevens technique and my truck now starts perfectly, after lifting the bonnet and touching a wire on the battery + terminal. :lol:

might put a switch on the dash if i get time.

i still cant get any rear lights working though. :thumbdown:

ive got headlights main beam, side lights, and front indicators, and everything else works, like electric windows, sunroof, stereo etc. but no headlights, reverse, brake, rear or rear indictor lights. :thumbdown:

ive checked all the connectors i can see and they all look ok. i was careful when welding not to burn any wires so i dont think that is the problem :think:

its just wierd that everything was working ok before and now isnt. :doh:

im getting very tempted to get the new engine fitted. :)

car electrics are the work of the devil. :(

few pics. ;)

cut the ignition wire to the starter and fitted a new wire.

P1000767.jpg

taped and cable tied.

P1000769.jpg

so now ive got 2 wires next to the battery, one for the glow plugs and one to the starter.

P1000770.jpg

P1000771.jpg

got the bumper fitted.

P1000773.jpg

P1000774.jpg

having to work outside in the rain now ive lost the workshop. :thumbdown:

P1000775.jpg

sexy red diff cover now fitted on Mitch's truck.

P1000776.jpg

P1000777.jpg

yesterday i did some more underbody protecting.

P1000778.jpg

rear arches.

P1000779.jpg

P1000780.jpg

P1000781.jpg

all done.

P1000782.jpg

P1000783.jpg

back lights fitted.

P1000786.jpg

rear number plate fitted.

P1000788.jpg

new bottom tensioner pulley, courtesy of Mr Carl. :thumbup:

P1000789.jpg

P1000790.jpg

the old one was completely knackered and i was worried it might jump off and through my rad.

P1000792.jpg

P1000793.jpg

added front number plate.

P1000794.jpg

still got loads of electrical problems. ive used 3 different auto electricians in the past ond have not been impressed with any of them, or the £50 an hour they charge. so im dammed if im going to pay for any of them to look at it. :thumbdown:

Mitch recently bought a good electrical tester thingy from the snap on man, so i will use that and try and trace the wires back from the fuse box, and see where they stop being live.

any advice on trying to trace these faults?

its the rear lights i really want to get working.

the starter, glow plugs, and over charging can all wait till the new engine goes in, although im sure all those problems are linked and i think its the charging circuit regulator. :roll:

Hi Ben

Have you tried giving your rear lamps a seperate earth ? ie take a feed straight from the battery .With all the bodywork you have been doing and the body sealants there is a strong possibilty that you have lost an earth to the lamps . check your wirring as you have added the european lamps and i know you will have had to modify the original wires .

Garry

thanks Garry, i think it was a dodgy connection to the lights. :)

thanks Mike, its getting there. :thumbup:

i did some more on it last night. first i used a screw driver to scrape all the mud out of the bottom seam on the front doors, before using Henry to hoover it all out.

P1000795.jpg

i was then able to give them a good coat of waxoil. i also did inside the sills after removing the 4 large rubber bungs.

next i turned my attention to the electrical problems.

this is the German made tester ive been using.

P1000796.jpg

P1000797.jpg

looking underneath the dash in the drivers foot well around the fuse box there were a lot of wires, relays, and fuses that didnt look original, and was obviously an old alarm/immobiliser system.

P1000799.jpg

also spotted one little green wire on my loom that must have rubbed against something, as the outer sheaving had been damaged. so that is one possible fault found.

P1000800.jpg

so back to removing all the alarm crap.

P1000801.jpg

P1000803.jpg

theyd splices wires into my loom left right and centre.

P1000804.jpg

had to remove the ignition cowl to get to the last few wires.
one of my main ignition wires had been cut in half and had different coloured alarm wires going to each, so i had to reconnect this wire.

P1000805.jpg

P1000806.jpg

old alarm crap out.

P1000807.jpg

i then put the tester probe into the connector going to the starter and got to Mitch to turn the ignition key, and the tester lit up saying live.
so i reconnected the ignition to starter wire and she turned over on the key and fired straight up. :dance:

i do remember ripping one wire out when i was stripping her down. i thought well the old alarm is dead so i dont need this old wire in her. :doh:

next i decided to try and get the back lights working. so i checked that the wires coming from the back of the fuse box going to the rear lights had got power when the lights were turned on. i then moved to the back of the truck and checked one of the connectors to see if id still got power, which i did.

P1000808.jpg

after messing with the connectors for the back lights they all started working. :dance:

P1000809.jpg

P1000811.jpg

but then after id put it al back together, the passenger side indicator stopped working, which could just be a bulb. i will investigate further tonight.

so the other main fault i need to fix is the headlights, as ive only currently got side lights and main beam. also need to get the stereo working.

so its getting there but still lots to do before im ready to drive it up to the lakes this weekend to do some laning. :thumbup:

I ripped the aftermarket immobiliser out of my KZJ after it comked out (the one and only time in 8 years) when I was 200 miles from home and towing a big caravan. Haven't missed it . . . :D

One of the problems I've had with the rear lights is a dry joint to earth on a bulb holder - it was a b*gger to find! Just a thought.

John_McCartney said:
I ripped the aftermarket immobiliser out of my KZJ after it comked out (the one and only time in 8 years) when I was 200 miles from home and towing a big caravan. Haven't missed it . . . :D

One of the problems I've had with the rear lights is a dry joint to earth on a bulb holder - it was a b*gger to find! Just a thought.

thanks John, back lights all sorted now. :thumbup:

fitted the guard that protects the bottom of the rad.

P1000812.jpg

P1000815.jpg

fitted the steering damper.

P1000814.jpg

P1000816.jpg

investigated the rear indicator that suddenly stopped working. the bulbs all looked fine the other day, but when i removed the bulb from the indicator that wasnt working the bulb had turned white. replaced the bulb and the indicator is working again.

P1000817.jpg

refitted both rear door cards.

P1000820.jpg

cut a corner off each of the lids for the rear storage boxes so that they dont foul on the back of the front seats if the seats are reclined all the way back. the bits i cut off i screwed down onto the corner of the box, so that when the lids are closed the boxes are sealed.

P1000818.jpg

bolted some lash down points to the side of the boxes to secure the spare wheel down from.

P1000821.jpg

P1000823.jpg

P1000826.jpg

cut some strips of rubber matting to line the bottoms of my storage boxes.

P1000822.jpg

P1000824.jpg

filled the boxes back up with all my recovery gear and tools and spares that in always carry.

P1000827.jpg

P1000828.jpg

plan for today is to fix the non working headlights, remove, bend and re-fit the transfer stick.this should then allow me to refit the centre console, something i havnt been able to do since fitting the bodylift and finding the transfer stick catches on the back of the transmission tunnel. and any other little bits and pieces that need doing, ready for laning tomorrow. also need to fuel her up with 90litres of veg oil. :thumbup:

Looking good dude - did I miss the engine transplant bit?? :lol:

thanks mate. new engine is going in after Lincomb, about mid october hopefully. :thumbup:

finally got everything done today! so im now all ready for laning tomorrow. :dance:

i removed the transfer stick lever.

P1000829.jpg

got it in the vice, and used a length of scaffold tube to bend it.

P1000830.jpg

i also gave the centre console a good clean up ready to be refitted.

P1000831.jpg

while cleaning it i noticed that the coin slots are actually switch blanks.

P1000832.jpg

an ashcroft/ARB/KAM diff lock switch or 2 is going to fit perfectly there.

P1000838.jpg

centre console back in.

P1000839.jpg

P1000840.jpg

refitted the rubber skirts that stop crap being thrown over the engine by the front wheels.

P1000841.jpg

P1000842.jpg

managed to remove the glass in the replacement rear door, remove the tinted glass from my old rear door, and using a piece of cord and some help, managed to pop the tinted piece of glass into my door.

also filled the holes from the spare wheel mount with rubber grommets, and re-attached my landcruiser badge.

P1000843.jpg

P1000844.jpg

investigated the faulty headlights, and found both the bulbs had blown. fitted new bulbs and the now work perfectly again.

P1000846.jpg

so im now all set for laning tomorrow. :cool:

leaving at 5.20am. :thumbdown:

Excellent read Ben .. :cool: :cool: .. glad you've finally got there :cool: :cool:

try not to break it out laning tomorrow

Back