Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Congratulations and best wishes to you both. It looks like a cracking place to live and everything is falling nicely in to place. Good luck to you and you are living proof that hard work DOES pay off:clap:
Ian

Congratulations again mate.
Only the kids get away with waking the missus that early lol.
House looks great and nice to have green around you.

Fantastic news Ben. Congratulations to you and Bec. Funny how things can work out sometimes. I wish you many happy years together. Fantastic area by the looks of it. Good luck finding work though with your skills and work ethic you won't need it.

Best wishes for the future from Lynn and I.

Congratulations guys, well done.
I had a hail storm come through when I was going to propose to my wife! sometimes the disaster makes for a good story later. The good old Gold Coast, the Vegas of Australia. Get ready to fix lots of rusty cars, the humidity up there gets into all the panels and rusts from the inside out. Beautiful beaches, plenty of night life and theme parks to keep you busy.
how did you go with the truck license? are you hiring a truck for the mission up?

Congrats Ben and Bec.A good partner is what every man and woman need.All the best .

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I'm leaving Piranha a week earlier than originally planned so we can be in the new place for Christmas. I've got the truck practical test next Saturday and once I've passed that I can hire the biggest truck Budget do and hopefully we can fit everything in and just do one load. :pray:

Then we will drive for 12-14 hours the first day then stay in a motel. The following morning we will drive the rest of the way and then unload the truck and sleep our first night in the new place. Then the next day drive for another 12-14 hours back towards Melbourne, then stay in another motel. Then on the last day drive the rest of the way and take the truck back. 40 hours of driving + unloading the truck in 4 days is going to be pretty tiring! :sleeping-sleep:

Then we will drive LJ and Bec's car up and take our time a bit more and camp instead of staying in motels. Thinking of getting the Astra trucked up for about $700. :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can you buy a (car or car sized) trailer and tow it up there? Either keep or sell the trailer. Or hire one that can go back to a local depot once you are there?

I've been thinking about this for weeks now and sadly this is the best option.

In an ideal world the hire truck would have a towbar! But none of them do! They say it's because of the tail-lift but I think that's crap and they just don't want people towing.

If the trucks had towbars Bec would support me in wanting to buy a really great trailer I've seen second hand for $2000.
We will have to buy one as soon as the 13 month lease is up on the new place anyway, as we will need a big trailer to carry building materials when we start renovating.

If the truck had a towbar I could trailer the Astra up behind the truck on the way up and then on the next trip, trailer Bec's car up behind LJ. That's what I wish we could do!

Ok I could still buy the trailer and tow the Astra up behind LJ but that means sending $2k of our savings on buying a trailer when neither of us have jobs yet to go to.
Ok the trailer would be an asset where as $700 to get the Astra transported is money gone, but atleast we will still have the other $1300 in the bank!

Returning the truck to a depot up there isn't viable as the amount of money they charge is enough to cover them to fly some one up there to drive it back, so it was like $1500 extra!

An idea I had the other day was if I could hire a trailer up there and get it in the back of the truck for the journey back down to Melbourne then I could put it on LJ with the Astra on and tow the Astra up and then drop the trailer back off up there.

The only problem with this plan is getting the trailer into the truck up there. It would have to go in on angle or even stood on it's side and as I don't have any contacts up there or access to a forklift it would be difficult!
This end would be easy as I would just go to Piranha and use the forklift to get it out, but up there I'm not sure who I could use!

It's a logistical nightmare really but we will get there!

Another option I've got is I could leave the Astra down in Melbourne for a few weeks/months and then fly down and drive it up. But when you factor in the cost of flights and fuel driving back up + All the dicking around at airports and then 2 days driving back up + the cost of a motel for a night, $700 doesn't seem too bad! :think:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Another thing I've been thinking about is how to safely transport all these little guys.

DSCN4665_zpsvyllhgmk.jpg

I'm currently thinking of putting them in a strong water tight plastic box with a lid, on the back seat of Bec's car with a towel over the box to keep them in darkness.

But with no baffle in the box I worry they may swish around too much.

I suspect we may loose a couple but I'd like to think most will survive. :think:

Or sell the Astra and buy something when you get up there?

Piece of perspex secured in the box with some good sized holes for fish to swim through? Would baffle the box a bit.

A lot of driving to do, need a cb to keep in contact.

What about driving one the cars when take the truck load of stuff up? Both come back in the truck then pick up LJ and the other car?

Or sell the Astra and buy something when you get up there?

If I was in the UK still I definitely would!

But over here things are a bit different in that everytime you buy a car, even a second hand one you have to pay tax which is a percentage of the vehicles value! OK you can ask the seller to lie and put down a lower value on the paperwork, but even so its still an absolute rip off!

Also cars are twice the price here than the Uk. :thumbdown:

Selling it would be an option but then I really dont know what I'd replace it with and I actually quite like it. I know its nothing special but its nice to drive, smart enough for my needs without me having to worry about parking it anywhere or pranging it and it blends in nicely and never gets a second glance unlike LJ which turns heads all the time.

I also know its mechanically sound and having just done the timing belt and fitted new tyres should be good for a few years.

Its also slightly attached to it in that I bought it within the first week of landing here and I've had some great times in it. The huge road trip I did with my mate in it up to Queensland was the best road trip/boys holiday I've ever been on! :icon-biggrin:

I'd like to keep it for a few more years but I wont be keeping it forever! :think:

LJ will never be sold!! :eusa-naughty:

I want to fit a new body in a few years time, maybe even a soft top one and completely rebuild it. :icon-cool:

But.........................

There is going to come a point in a few years time when hopefully kids come along and suddenly we cant take LJ away camping, the 3 or 4 of us!

When that happens LJ will have to be parked up for a while and we will need a bigger 4wd.

Toyota are going to stop selling the mighty 70 at some point, sadly thats undeniable! :cry:

Maybe they will replace it with something equally as amazing and I really hope they do!

But if the way the LandCruiser evolution seems to be heading is to be followed, then it will be getting softer, more car like, less utilitarian, weaker and certainly a lot bigger! :angry-screaming:

At the moment.......................If Toyota announce tomorrow they are stopping production of the 70 and the replacement looks as crap as I imagine it will be, I will be off to my local Toyota dealer to order one of the last 70's and that will then become my daily drive/weekend trip car! :icon-twisted:

Then the Astra really wont be needed, but until one or both of those things happen I want to keep the Astra. :think:

I think I've already sold Bec on the idea of a brand new 70 the only hard part will be deciding what to get!

I'm thinking duel cab ute would be most practical but then the length of the wheelbase is huge so they have a ridiculously big turning circle. I like the 5 door wagon which obviously had a smaller wheel base and much better turning circle and that would be more practical with kids in some ways. :?

One issue I would have is I would want the top spec model but I dont want the factory difflocks, I'd rather fit Eaton E lockers. But I dont think I could spec that model without the factory standard lockers. :think:

Anyway....................the Astra isnt for sale yet. :lol: :thumbup:

Piece of perspex secured in the box with some good sized holes for fish to swim through? Would baffle the box a bit.

A lot of driving to do, need a cb to keep in contact.

What about driving one the cars when take the truck load of stuff up? Both come back in the truck then pick up LJ and the other car?

Yeah not a bad idea my only concern is if we go over a slight bump and they get washed against the edge of the baffle and injured.

Maybe putting them in a couple of smaller boxes might be better. Or maybe even put them inside a 20 litre plastic water jerry can. :think:

I want to get a handheld UHF so Bec can tell me when she needs to stop again for the toilet! :icon-cool: :lol:

Regarding her driving the Astra up as well as her car.........................

That would be the easiest and nicest solution from my point of view but.....

She has only ever driven autos! I've been teaching her to drive manuals and shes getting a lot better and more confident but she doesnt feel like she can drive all that way.

If I'm honest I think shes going to struggle to drive hers up, without having to then come back and her do it all over again in the Astra!

She has never driven for more than 3 hours before and I think she is going to struggle so much driving for that many hours! Thats why when we drive LJ and her car up we can do it slower and maybe take 3 days to get up there.

Thats why I really really really wish we could find a truck with a towbar because then she wouldnt have to drive at all! I could do it all and tow both her car and the Astra up! :thumbup:

Baffle in the top with lots of small holes? Slow the water movement up top might keep the water more stable, less risk to fish hitting it. Might help keep the oxygen mixing with the water too?
I'll text a mate who sells aquarium fish see if has any tips

Yeah long way if not confident driving a manual. Plenty stops are the way forward. It'll be a great road trip!!
Sure a man of your talent could knock up a tow bar in no time at all lol.

Yeah good thinking. Thanks mate, let me know what he thinks. [emoji106]

Most pet shops in Australia fly fish around, but it's pretty pricey and their not expensive tropical fish so not really worth it. [emoji3]

Mate knocking a tow bar up was one of my first thoughts when they said the trucks don't have them! [emoji48]

I would be in a legal shit storm if anything went wrong though! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's just said good bags and strong boxes, 1/4 fill the bags with water and add oxygen to the bag. He said basically a fish needs enough water to cover it and plenty oxygen.
Tie the bags with elastic bands.
He said they'll go over night no problem. Transports fish all over the uk including tropical.
Put bags in box and make sure won't roll around.
If few days might need to re fresh the oxygen in bags, can use a bucket but can stress them.
If need any further advice he said I just need to ask :icon-biggrin:

Awesome thanks mate. :thumbup:

We will grab some bags from our local aquarium shop. :icon-biggrin:

Bundera

Hi All,
Need some help with my suspension
Has anyone tried to fit castor correction bushes on a Bundera?
I bought a set , to suit my 2 inch lift but the rear trail arm fouls on the rear locating bracket ,not allowing me to line up the bolt holes.

Hey Ben Congratulations to you and Bec on your engagement.:clap::clap:

Enjoy the different lifestyle up that way mate. Couple of places worth a look.
Minion Falls up near Byron bay from memory.
Also check out a quiet little place called Brunswick heads. We have stayed in a little Caravan park on the river that runs out to the ocean. Name of the Caravan park was Massey Green Caravan park.Great little camping spots on the river.:icon-cool:

Lots of folks make up triangular tow bars to tow their cars behind motor homes.Seem to work ok if you have a good chassis on the car.

Back