Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Manual 90 reverse gear does not want to engage ?

Shayne

Guru
Reverse gear on my trucks seems to be out of sync , when the trucks cold selecting reverse is not usually a problem but i have noticed after only a short run it doesn't want to go in and i've sorta subconciously learnt to slip the clutch a little to make it catch . Today after 60 mile round trip the problem seemed much worse . 4 attempts at a stop failed to make it engage , but given i where i was (blocking entry and exit to a trading estate) i lost patience , gave it a welly full of rev slipped the clutch and rammed it into gear causing that grinding noise we all recognize as someone abusing a gearbox . 10 minutes later i arrived home and messed about a bit going back and forth where i do my usual 3 point turn and everything seemed fine ?

Should have said i have reciepts for a brand new clutch fitted a month before i bought it (3 months ago maybe) and all other gear changes are spot on . This is a 5 speed manual swb 90 .

Well, mine does that really often, too. I think it's normal though since the reverse won't have a synchronizer by design. What you should do when that happens is:

1. leave the stick at neutral position
2. release the clutch fully
3. rev up a bit (just a quick press of the gas pedal)
4. fully press clutch pedal and try shifting to reverse again

That always works for me.

I have the same problem with my KZJ70 sometimes and I do what tsviatko does but also find it works if you depress the clutch, swift into and out of 2nd and then into reverse.

Thanks fellas its just one of those things we call character then . I just wanted to be sure i wasn't ignoring a small problem until it became a BIG problem .

Back