Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Max 3000 rpm help

Any pointers to location of this?

Assuming this is meant for me , i don't have an 80 i'm afraid so i can't be specific but in principal i must assume there is a pipe coming off the turbo housing and leading towards the pump .

At 2200rpm your turbo cuts in and demands more fuel from the pump via a vacuum line to a diaphragm which in turn increases flow in the pump . If this mechanism isn't working then at 3000rpm your running on diesel fumes .

An air leak in vacuum line or diaphragm is my bet .
20161211_161633.jpg

That be the diaphram on top of pump?

Thanks again lads

Really stumped now, changed fuel filter housing with the silver 80 (which is goin like a train) no difference now it got so bad it struggles to get 1400/1600 rpm

Really stumped now, changed fuel filter housing with the silver 80 (which is goin like a train) no difference now it got so bad it struggles to get 1400/1600 rpm
Could
Could the fuel system be clogged up thru sludge drawn up on your drive out before changing filter. if definitely no fuel leak alowing air in or turbo hoses colapsed inside I'd be tempted to try another filter but top it up with the fuel system cleaner directly in the filter before fitting . had similar trouble with my 70 years ago . no promise but cured that. Cheers gav

Could

Could the fuel system be clogged up thru sludge drawn up on your drive out before changing filter. if definitely no fuel leak alowing air in or turbo hoses colapsed inside I'd be tempted to try another filter but top it up with the fuel system cleaner directly in the filter before fitting . had similar trouble with my 70 years ago . no promise but cured that. Cheers gav
Forgot to say let it idle for 20 or so mins after this.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Il give it a go gav, at the minute il try any thing.

Gallon jar of clean derv and set beside pump and drop lift pipe in it. Would rule out anything from there back?

How robust are the pumps does anyone know

Is the throttle opening fully ? You would need someone to look under the bonnet whilst you press the pedal to the floor.

Am operating the throttle from engine bay.

Goin to try a gallon jar of derv in beside filter and direct feed from there

Some system cleaner straight into new filter has showed signs of life, not out of the woods yet tho but vast improvement.

Must of been gunked up real bad

Some system cleaner straight into new filter has showed signs of life, not out of the woods yet tho but vast improvement.

Must of been gunked up real bad
Fingers crossed Lexie. Hope you sort this.

The most common problem I have come across is the plunger on the filter head and the gunk in the tank filter.

Mine tank filter looked like the one in the photo, though perhaps not as bad?

There are three filters on the 12 valve unsure about the 24v?

The tank plastic one, the large one under the bonnet where the hand primer is, and a small thin bronze gauze in the inlet side of the pump, this has very tiny mesh.

Now to the filter head. The diaphragm sits in the same place for years and then we change a filter and start using the diaphragm to draw up and present fuel to the pump. The rubber which has perished and draws in air, during our search for the fault the diaphragm gets some extra pumps and the problem gets worse and you end up chasing your tail.

Incomplete burning of the fuel will be white, this is often seen when starting a cold diesel engine where a glow plug is not working, the engine misfires until the chamber warms and combustion is complete. The LC engine may well be direct injection but air will cause the same symptoms.

I tend to clean the gauze in the pump, get a clean fuel container of diesel and put it on the roof of the car, gravity feed it direct to the pump, this will help eliminate cracked pipes leaking clips etc.

If the problem is still there then the diaphragm in the top of the pump needs to 'see' pressure from the turbo, it has been mentioned above check the small pipe that runs across the engine to the top of the fuel pump for leaks, that activates the diaphragm inside the pump, if the diaphragm is torn then again insufficient fuel will be delivered.

Probably unrelated but there is a spring in pump that when worn can cause a loss of power when accelerating. Mine has this problem but it is barely detectable, the diesel pump builder said it if gets worse best to go for a reconditioned pump......cough!

Fitting a pressure pump at the tank end can hide air leaks but is a 'band aid' to an up and coming problem.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Ask Dave how to get the filter out of the pump. Sounds like that defo needs checking.

The most common problem I have come across is the plunger on the filter head and the gunk in the tank filter.

Mine tank filter looked like the one in the photo, though perhaps not as bad?

There are three pumps on the 12 valve unsure about the 24v?

The tank plastic one, the large one under the bonnet where the hand primer is, and a small thin bronze gauze in the inlet side of the pump, this has very tiny mesh.

Now to the filter head. The diaphragm sits in the same place for years and then we change a filter and start using the diaphragm to draw up and present fuel to the pump. The rubber which has perished and draws in air, during our search for the fault the diaphragm gets some extra pumps and the problem gets worse and you end up chasing your tail.

Incomplete burning of the fuel will be white, this is often seen when starting a cold diesel engine where a glow plug is not working, the engine misfires until the chamber warms and combustion is complete. The LC engine may well be direct injection but air will cause the same symptoms.

I tend to clean the gauze in the pump, get a clean fuel container of diesel and put it on the roof of the car, gravity feed it direct to the pump, this will help eliminate cracked pipes leaking clips etc.

If the problem is still there then the diaphragm in the top of the pump needs to 'see' pressure from the turbo, it has been mentioned above check the small pipe that runs across the engine to the top of the fuel pump for leaks, that activates the diaphragm inside the pump, if the diaphragm is torn then again insufficient fuel will be delivered.

Probably unrelated but there is a spring in pump that when worn can cause a loss of power when accelerating. Mine has this problem but it is barely detectable, the diesel pump builder said it if gets worse best to go for a reconditioned pump......cough!

Fitting a pressure pump at the tank end can hide air leaks but is a 'band aid' to an up and coming problem.

regards

Dave

Thanks dave.

Any info on filter in pump? I swapped filter heads with another 80 which is goin like stink! No difference but got results last night after a system clean.

Also ran straight from a gallon jar beside pump no difference so that in turn rules out from filter head to tank.

Ps ..
Had banjo bolt off inlet feed and no gauze

Ps ..
Had banjo bolt off inlet feed and no gauze

That is not good! Is it possible a PO had taken it out? Given the tight tolerances these pumps run at I am surprised the gauze is not there. Trying to think back, IIRC it is under the stop solenoid?

EDIT: Yes on my earlier post I did say on the inlet but now thinking back it is under the stop plunger.

regards

Dave

Not 22602 by any chance ? Goin square eyed lookin for 22603 lol

Back