Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

May have an axle problem

Anthony Oreilly

Country Flag
ireland
I took my truck to get the brakes done my new yellow pads they didn't fit them, called me in to have a look and said you may have an axle problem guess what I do
IMG_1639.JPG
the mount has come away from the axle and the arm things the 2 longer ones the bushes are no good. Whats best to do? repair, new axle or what, the truck has only do 142000 miles, drives well engine and box do a good job.

Hard to see full detail there but if you were to weld it, you'd really need to take the axle off - which is not as huge a job as you might think. And in fact half of what's holding it on seems to have come apart. But you could end up chasing the welds around like a herd of cats. That's not going to be cheap. It does look rather manky under there. I'd say that you'd be better with a new axle. Get it prepped and coated with something whilst it's off and make it as good as new. You might get an axle with everything in it - diff, shafts etc or you might get just a casing. You'll need new bushes of course to do a decent job. It would help if you were a bit nifty on the spanners obviously.

Looks nasty! And there's a crack appearing on the top if the diff housing. I would have a word with our @karl webster if I were you to see if he's got a nice axle you could purchase.

Did not fit my new pads due to the fact the metal from the old pad has eaten the disc. must have metal worm on my truck.

I had a similar problem on my front axle on my previous 80. Ended up putting a refurbished axle onto it and all new seals etc for piece of mind. You can get it welded but the other side might be the same. Plus if you weld the bracket on even a few mm off it will screw up your wheel alignment, and with no adjustment there its not good.

Think I was £240 delivered for the front.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As Chris mentions - its fixable but its going to take time and effort to do properly.

A second hand unit if you need the truck on the road without downtime - or a good weekend with lots of grinding discs, new metal and a mig welder.

Personally I would go second hand to keep running and if your old one is salvageable then take time and do it up properly with additional strengtheners (standard lower radius arms need more weld imho) - then give the hubs and handbrake a birthday.

Is that massive crack around the diff housing actually right through or does it just look like it in the photo? If so I've no idea how it kept any oil in there!

For the price you’ll pay, swap it IMO.

There’s plenty available, complete or just the casings. You’ll need new bushings anyway, so treat the girl to a replacement and have years more fun in your 80...

Well thank you for your help on what to do I think the best way forward is a replacement axle or just the shell, now need to find an axle then need to find a workshop oh and some money. May have to sell the family jewels or put my wife out to work.

I could find an axle case no problem and also have a guy who could fit it fairly cheap if he can fit it in. Drop me a pm if you need.

PM. That sounds good to me what sort of money for the shell/axle and labour also where? thank you.

PM. Bearing in mind that now I can't drive it No rear brakes, not that bothered about the axle for a small journey as I've been driving it about like it.

PM: Hi Karl, I'm in Oxford. £120 for and empty axle shell is that plus delivery or collected, how much do you think it will cost to fit?

Is there a reason why you have replied on here and not via pm Anthony?

Anthony has been a member since Oct 2017 surely you can see the logic in a public reply Karl as he can't know yet you are the forum's go to guy for 80 parts .

Your in safe hand's Anthony :thumbup:

Back