Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

moan of the week.

Are you going to do a Moan of the week, Every week CG.. ? Lets say every Friday night, or first thing Monday morning.... I like 'em':lol:.. Beats me banging on about the rust on my 80. Or something iv dropped inside my rear axle...:doh:

It really varies with the autoroute that’s used. Some are very inexpensive while others are down right extortion. I believe there’s one from just north of Carcasonne area up towards Caen which is (or at least was in 2001 :whistle:) €12 or so and cut a huge chunk out of the journey.

For work we use the autopay sensor so I’m not sure what the cost of our frequent forays into Europe cost, but I know travelling from nice to Calais some years ago cost nearly 200euro. I drove from Brittany to Calais last August and spent a very small amount of time on the motorway because we were running late, the cost was about 40euros for a relatively short period, I was shocked at the cost. Compared with our VED it’s astronomical.

In general though, I would agree that the condition of our roads leaves a lot to be desired, and things like the (notso) smart motorways is just sticking a band aid on. Congestion is a feature of our cities being so close together relative to other countries. There’s very little clear space between them.

The condition and congestion though is a separate matter to my OP which was that our motorways are better constructed, lit and safer than most.

I think that the high cost of tolls per km for some of the short journeys is to discourage the use of them for short sections - which is where the traffic jams build up quite often in places like Nimes etc, as traffic comes on for one or two junctions.

Back near my parents in the UK, there is the running joke that the A49 sign results in people driving at 49mph...

totally agree, the more you detach the driver from the driving function, the more dangerous they become. I think a lot of modern 'driver aids' actually reduce safety
I agree, then you jump in a motor that doesn't have "driver aids"
I call it "soft close toilet seat syndrome". there great until you stay at some ones house that doesn't have one, and you go for a pee at 2 am..

Try getting out of my lane on to a main road with 40 mph limit with all the old farts half my 72 years of age nose to tail and I'm not looking forward to tagging on the end of the queue because I can't overtake for at least 10 miles until there's a dual carriageway. Even driving my 500 bhp Ultima was ruined as I could not overtake a 1/2 mile queue safely.

I have the occasional race with a kid around Birmingham. You can tell when they want to race at the lights, but they have no experience and I usually win in my 1.4 tsi Golf. I went round a roundabout so quickly that the puncture warning light cut in. The computer could not believe there could be that much difference in wheel rpm at that speed. The kid won that time as I had to stop to check the tyres and reset the computer. Racing old farts is much more difficult lol.

lol. sounds like you drive like my old man frank.

Are you going to do a Moan of the week, Every week CG.. ? Lets say every Friday night, or first thing Monday morning.... I like 'em':lol:.. Beats me banging on about the rust on my 80. Or something iv dropped inside my rear axle...:doh:

I could probable do one everyday higgy..:)

might make it moan of the month, just so im not labeled a moaning t###.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now that is one of my main once, specially when using cruise control. You get a quarter way past them and then suddenly they start going faster until they either notice that they are doing 12mph more then what they were or they keep going until you pull back in behind them.

Or police that deliberately drive 5mph under the speed limit . I got a nod from one once as i pulled into as service station and they were leaving , i had a meal and coffee and a smoke before setting off again . About 45 minutes after leaving i pulled up at a roundabout junction alongside the same copper :scared-eek:

He just smiled and shook his head , must guess he assumed i only stopped for a pee :whistle:

CG,
Could you please comment on the -12mph drivers who accelerate when you're trying to pass them...
Ha! Or the ones who brake just as you gather a bit of speed to overtake.. what's that about? ?

They’re all rife round here. The -12s that speed up, those that brake (fairly rare) and the ones that box you in. The latter being the most annoying.
I can add two very rare but bad ones. Tgevtwit that overtakes a long line of slow traffic with nowhere to pull in when I’ve already passed the lead vehicle in the opposite direction. On a single carriageway A road.

Then as a pedestrian, crossing a road with traffic held on lights around the corner to be driven at by a car that continued to accelerate so I had to quicken my pace or be run over. Then to get tooted by the 30 something female driver. Great, how nice of her.

I'm still scarred by these tolls too. I feel they have gone down in recent years though ... as they don't seem as painful in France as they used too.

It’s the anaesthetic, it’s started to work, when driving in FRANCE, my old Duchess and I swerve away from the toll roads by using Michelin maps( others are available) which show the main roads as red, secondary main roads in yellow and minor roads in white, well, the white roads are the ones to use, often in straighter lines (Roman maybe?) and not a lot of traffic, we tend to see a lot of bikers and they are like family.( so no problem) We obviously can’t do the whole trip like this but good sections can often be a winner short cutting around towns etc. But it means a bit of pre trip effort and it’s quite fun. Often the red roads are just full of roundabouts and traffic lights and we try to avoid these also. This is no good to anyone who is on a mission of course, but for the hour or two it takes longer, well, the money saved on the tolls and the better fuel economy ( by driving 12 mph under the limit, don’t panic I’m only joking) almost pays for the evening meal somewhere nice. Just a thought, best regards to all, Bill Westley,

It’s the anaesthetic, it’s started to work, when driving in FRANCE, my old Duchess and I swerve away from the toll roads by using Michelin maps( others are available) which show the main roads as red, secondary main roads in yellow and minor roads in white, well, the white roads are the ones to use, often in straighter lines (Roman maybe?) and not a lot of traffic, we tend to see a lot of bikers and they are like family.( so no problem) We obviously can’t do the whole trip like this but good sections can often be a winner short cutting around towns etc. But it means a bit of pre trip effort and it’s quite fun. Often the red roads are just full of roundabouts and traffic lights and we try to avoid these also. This is no good to anyone who is on a mission of course, but for the hour or two it takes longer, well, the money saved on the tolls and the better fuel economy ( by driving 12 mph under the limit, don’t panic I’m only joking) almost pays for the evening meal somewhere nice. Just a thought, best regards to all, Bill Westley,
I set the sat nav up for avoid toll roads. The 60 only does about 65 anyway so as with you, I'd rather take a couple of hours extra, save the money, and enjoy the scenery! I see enough of European motorways in my day job!

Changing tack here, if I may.
Does anyone else get irritated by people saying ‘Can I get..x,y,z’ in a cafe or restaurant?

‘Can I get a double espresso to go’ no need the girl serving you will get it for you. Or
‘Can I get a double cheeseburger with fries’ “sure, help yourself, the buns are warming in the oven and the cheese squares are in the fridge. Next!”
:angry-screaming:

Whatever happened to ‘I’d like a double espresso to take away please’ or ‘could I have a double cheeseburger and fries please’.

Is it just me?

Hey Rich, did you mean

Am I the only one whom ....

Does anyone else get irritated by people saying ‘Can I get..x,y,z’ in a cafe or restaurant?

‘Can I get a double espresso to go’ no need the girl serving you will get it for you. Or
‘Can I get a double cheeseburger with fries’ “sure, help yourself, the buns are warming in the oven and the cheese squares are in the fridge. Next!”

Whatever happened to ‘I’d like a double espresso to take away please’ or ‘could I have a double cheeseburger and fries please’.

Is it just me?
My biggest grumble is the fuel station/ super market.. A couple of cars including myself were waiting for a BMW to shift so we could fill up.. After ten mins i thought fuck this and went into find the Driver.. Shouted the usual "does anyone own a green BMW reg No bla bla bla!" ... And there she was Oblivious to life in general pushing a half full trolley round the Friggin CO-OP... She hadnt even paid for her fuel. She just parked at the pump and went shopping.. She got a round of fucks of a few other folk, But she didnt give a Damn.. Unbelievable :angry-screaming:

Is it just me?
No, it's not just you Rich.

Remember young man, it's a limit not a target. You won't get there any quicker you know!

When I was doing my HGV training, it was impressed upon me that in a 30 zone I should be driving @30mph, in a 50 @ 50mph, etc, etc. Indeed it was made very clear that if I drove too slowly, I would be penalised by the examiner.

I failed the first test for doing 22mph in a 20mph zone ! "Not under control " (still don't know how he judged that on an analogue speedo from the passenger seat)
At the same test centre, an examiner was at the very same time also failing a driver who was doing 45 in a 50 zone for not "making progress" !

It seems that for HGV's at least, it is indeed a target.

Back