Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

more shropshire laning

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
had a day out laning around shropshire again today.

the day started well, until i got to the first lane and discovered it had been totally graded and had 100+ tonnes of stone laid down it. :thumbdown:

PICT0001.jpg

carried on though and the next few lanes were good, although the river crossings were very shallow.

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

did what must be the muddiest green lane in shropshire next.

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0030.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

my truck didnt end up as dirty this time.

PICT0042.jpg

did a few more gentle lanes heading towards Church Stretton.

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

i rounded the corner on the next lane to find a tree had fallen across the lane. a quick shout on the CB and my mates in what theyve christened there "lane rover" had the chainsaw out and made quick work of shifting the obstruction. :clap:

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

then one more lane before doing one of my favourites that drops right down into Church Stretton. it was only a few weeks since id last driven it, but yet again it had changed quite a bit in places due to the water erosion it gets when it rains and turns the whole lane into a stream bed.

we stopped in Stretton and had some food and a cuppa, and the suzuki boys made there way home, as one had broken a front shock and the other had destroyed a starter motor. the guys in the range rover had already left by this point.

so me and the lads in the lane rover continued over towards Craven Arms and did the big river crossing before heading over towards Lydbury North and doing a few other good lanes.

PICT0048.jpg

PICT0049.jpg

we decided to try a few new lanes. the first few were fairly gentle with a few steep climbs, but on well surfaced mountain pass's.

we then got to a lane that started off like any other normal lane.

PICT0050.jpg

we soon got to a gate, and the lane ahead didnt look like it had been driven for a very long time.

PICT0051.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

for the first few hundred feet it was very over grown with grass and brambles 4ft high.

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

it was like driving through a jungle, with just the hedges down each side to show us the direction of the lane. :)

we soon entered a wooded section and the track continued towards the valley below.
there were lots of fallen trees and logs that needed chain sawing out of the way.

PICT0057.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

it was very tight in places with all the trees, even for my little 70 which usually excels in tight wooded sections.

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

i thought that there was probably a reason that people hadnt driven it for a long time, especially as there are lots of green lanes in the area that are clearly well used.
then we got to it. :?

the one side of the track was about 3 or 4ft deeper than the other, with a very steep drop of 6ft or more to the side of it.

so we filled the lower side in with lots and lots of logs and branches, and then carefully with some one in front spotting us, we crept are way down.

PICT0067.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

all in all a great day, and this new unused lane was great. plan is to go back and drive it the other way as it will be a lot more challenging and technical going up hill. winches will be essential. :twisted:

we then did a few more lanes heading back towards Shrewsbury. :thumbup:

Awesome mate! A friend of mine often tells me how good the lanes round Shropshire are, from the look of your pictures he is not lying. :thumbup:

Superb work Ben san - looking forward to coming along sometime :mrgreen:

thanks lads. :thumbup:

was a great day! :cool:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice lanes :mrgreen:

Saw your latest posts on SS :whistle: Also nice :thumbup: :D ;)

Looks like you had a good day Ben. I can't place that last one you posted pics for, where's that?

Jon Wildsmith said:
Looks like you had a good day Ben. I can't place that last one you posted pics for, where's that?

that does surprise me, i was expecting you to know it.

it is between Sarn and Churchstoke. the lane starts on Pant Hill and drops down past a disused quarry. its marked on the OS map as a UCR.

looking at the map, theres a lot more UCR's around that area that i havnt driven, so i might go back this weekend and do some exploring. :thumbup:

lol there are lots of lanes I have never got round to Ben, there are always 'new' ones popping up just when you think you've seen em all :) I'm not seeing a UCR there but that could just be my maps being out of date or something.

Back