Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

IMG_7517.PNG

Screenshot_20170323-192838.png

That's a screen shot from the website @clivehorridge

It's a well made item, it'll get mounted to the wheel carrier.

The website says it's for a jeep door but why should they get all the good stuff lol

Likely that will fit my larger of the two ambulance doors, would be a nice touch.

Thanks for posting Gary, now to decide....

Safety item :think:

mmmmmm

Well little table update.
Got on and made a frame that attaches to the frontrunner table. Seen here with no spare wheel. Nice simple frame which slots into part of the Kaymar designed for a spot light, need to drill it at the bottom to attach still.

20170423_202622.jpg

This will have a bolt in the already fitted captive nut to secure it.
Not some of my best welding I'll admit but nothing a grinder won't fix.
20170423_202646.jpg

The top is left open as I have a large fishing umbrella that fits perfectly inside, perfect to cook under when it's raining.

20170423_202712.jpg

It fits over the lower tailgate when down
20170423_202748.jpg

With the swing away at full extension it's out of the way to access the boot and the drawers.
20170423_202759.jpg

The Coleman fits on nicely with a small amount of space around it. There is then the pull out wooden table for prep etc.

It fits close but won't touch the body, if it does I've got bigger issues!!! The wooden table can't be left on as it will hit the fog lamp, I could remove the lamp and seal the hole etc, sliding the table out and storing in the boot is easier.

When the spare is back on it hides the table nicely from view too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got a bit of time after work, drilled holes in the Kaymar and tapped a thread in, I was expecting to insert a rivnut but it's made of quite thick steel. The frame is pretty solid now it bolts on.

Drilled the rest of the holes in the frame to mount the table.
Quick clean and sprayed some primer on. Spayed some cavity wax in the swing arm.

Away with work for a couple of days then just need to finish the fridge slide and paint it all.

Got a bit of time to splash a couple of coats of paint on the table frame, spare time is lacking at the moment!
Quite happy how it's turned out.

20170429_175155.jpg

Bits of fridge slide which is in progress on the bench, few holes to drill for the bearing runners and some bits to weld together.

It ideally all needs powder coating, along with the roof rack and the winch mount which are looking a little tatty. It's getting time to get it all taken off and been getting some bits done in the body shop, back there in a couple of weeks and due a bill!

Got few bits to trim off, a splash of paint and make a base for the fridge, most likely from ply wood. I have a fridge slide for very little cost. The steel was an old bed frame Emma's grandma was throwing out.
Will put some inserts in the drawer top to bolt it in place.

Everything seems to take ages at the moment, can't use the grinder when the kids are in bed, currently get home about an hour before they go to bed, cut the bits for this a week ago and only just got to this stage!
20170429_212124.jpg

20170429_212052.jpg

Tidy mate. Very tidy. What do yo think these are going to retail at?

Arf arf.

Tidy mate. Very tidy. What do yo think these are going to retail at?

Arf arf.

Cheers, will look better when trimmed the slide and painted, got a couple of spring bolts to hold closed.

I reckon a fortune, if charge Labour per week from start to finish :lol:

I've made both items for less then 50 quid and it's been a bit of much needed stress relief

I really should consider utilising the lads at work :think::think:

Got the slide all painted and bolted together, drilled some holes and put some inserts in the wood, one functioning fridge slide.
Will need to get some conduit or something to protect the power cable and some straps to hold it down.

20170505_204818.jpg

20170505_212155.jpg

I can comfortably reach into the fridge, the back end is a bit higher then normal as no spare wheel, nothing in the drawers, no high lift etc. Loaded back up it'll be even better to reach in.

Well couple of little jobs to sort storage out, now mounted pry bar and breaker bar to the drawers using tool clips.

20170511_210323.jpg

20170511_210306.jpg

Will see how they go off road and possibly mount a few other items in otherwise wasted space.

Got the tailgate stripped down ready to eventually get sorted out, corrosion has spread across under the seal.
We're going to cut off the lower lip and weld in some new steel angle section.

We had the glass out before to have a look, changing jobs etc meant I had to postpone the repairs and my mate got busy and struggled to fit me in.
It's a favour job so no complaints here.

Well the 80 is in the body shop, 2 little bits to sort on the tailgate has turned into cutting off the lower lip inside and outside due to spread.

20170513_093053.jpg

Tailgate off and ready for attack

20170513_103149.jpg

As a few know I'm more then happy to tackle this sort of body repair myself, I'm owed quite a few favours from a mate so I'm cashing in. He also restores cars for a living along with normal body repairs.

20170513_105730.jpg

Half cut out to avoid the panel distorting
20170513_120648.jpg

Some new metal going in
20170513_125544.jpg

20170513_130219.jpg

He's rebuilding the inner and outer right across them a coat of paint.
Been getting a few other bits sorted out over the last couple of weeks too.

I've now left it in Steve's capable hands and will pick up on Wednesday evening all done.

nicely done. Will have to pull my rubber seal off rear window as well as can see some rust 'weeps'. will await the damage report

It'll be worth a check and see how far it's gone, this had spread since we originally had a look. Mines a low miler and a young one, it does look like the paint had been damaged when the glass had been tinted, making a common issue worse.

He'll paint the full panel rather then a local repair too, masking off the long badge and the Amazon badge though, one is expensive and the other isn't available! The Toyota badge will come off easily and can buy one if breaks.

Had to buy new bits for the rear wiper as seized together.

Love the clever tool storage at the sides of the drawers. :thumbup:

Good your getting the tailgate rust sorted before it spreads any further! :icon-biggrin:

How do you think they damaged it tinting the glass?

Did they remove the glass to tint it then? :think:

Nice to see your body shop guy has all his safety gear on for welding! :lol:

Love the clever tool storage at the sides of the drawers. :thumbup:

Good your getting the tailgate rust sorted before it spreads any further! :icon-biggrin:

How do you think they damaged it tinting the glass?

Did they remove the glass to tint it then? :think:

Nice to see your body shop guy has all his safety gear on for welding! :lol:

I'll see how the tool clips hold up off road with the 2 heavy items, if it works I'll add other items.

You could see marks all the way round the tailgate frame where the seal had been removed (looked like screwdriver marks :icon-rolleyes:), the tint goes all the way to the edge of the glass too. Previous owner had the windows done. We took the glass out before and could see the marks when we assessed the rust (it spread quite a bit in a few months) the inner skin was ok before and now it's had to be cut out.

Yeah closes his eyes to do a quick spot weld lol, think he was topping up his tan.
He's old school and even offered to use lead instead of filler to smooth the tailgate after welding!
I told him it already weighs enough and a skim of filler is fine, it won't need a lot anyway.
It's him and his son and they're always busy.

Back