Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my grey 80

Drove a few Shropshire lanes recently and the tyres seemed to work pretty well. Still happy with their road manners so :thumbup: so far.

20140418_184223.jpg

Nice camp site :eusa-shhh:
Yep, great facilities :icon-cool:

Been fiddling with modifying a Gav bash plate. Standard support leg would clash with the new exhaust routing and the plate seems to sit lower than I remember so I took 18mm out of the angled part to move it up and made a cross member from some 1.5" OD 5mm wall tube I had handy.

20140421_203117.jpg

20140422_195559.jpg

Driving lanes - surely not Jon! ;)

Looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Replaced the generic seat covers with some Escape Gear ones.

20140519_101320.jpg

20140519_101355.jpg

Think I need to put some generic covers over them to keep them clean :lol:

For a while I had noticed a bit of a clonk from the drivers seat sometimes when I shifted about in it so I took it out to investigate. Turns out one of the runners had broken, probably a fatigue fracture I don't think I'm that heavy :whistle: Getting the runner off was pretty easy because it was in two pieces and pretty much fell apart. Getting the new runner on took a bit more thought.

To remove a whole runner I think the sequence would be undo the two bolts that connect the runner to the movement lead screw, slide the runner back far enough to expose the 3 bolts and undo those, then slide the runner the other way to expose the single bolt and undo that. Then you should be able to move the runner far enough for one end to come off and let the roller bearing out, then slide it right off the back letting the other bearing out. With the rollers out you can slide the runner out the back.

Old runner removed:

20141101_134742.jpg

Broken runner, bearings and replacement runner:

20141101_134950.jpg

Fitting the replacement runner was the reverse of removing a whole runner :icon-smile:

My driver's seat rocks about too Jon. I always put it down to the seat being in a generally collapsed state.

You've prompted me to have a look now, maybe it's the same problem :thumbup:

I'm going to start my shopping list for when the lads come out this way next year :whistle:

Runs and hides...

I'd really love to be able to move my seat back just another inch at least. From your dabbling with these bits Jon, do you think that's possible?

Mine are manual Jon. GS Farmer's version. Gives me some ideas though. I'm sure I could do something. That's pretty involved I have to say and you need the bracket. But all the bits in the installation guide must surely have some merit for the manual seats.

Many thanks. Another gem.

I need to be able to carry a few things on the roof of the 80 for a bit of DIY that a rack would do much better than bars so I've put a roof rack on it and will see how I like it.

20141126_140631.jpg

20141126_144440.jpg

The central sections of the front and back upper rails are removable to carry long thin things. I started off ordering an ARB tradesman rack and leg kit but the rack they thought was in a European warehouse wasn't and the eta became longer than I was willing to wait so I used the ARB legs to bolt my own rack to. I like the design of the ARB legs but they're not cheap - they cost more than the rack materials.

JW,

Since installing your rear ladder, do you actually use it? I've seen many a truck with one and wondered about its real-world usefulness. They always look too short and upright to be used safely.

It's hard to make sentence with the words "ARB" and "cheap" in it without the word "not" in there somewhere.

I have ARB bumpers front and rear plus an ARB full length rack, and they cost as much as the truck did. That's why I was so disappointed with the bumpers rusting like they did.... :icon-rolleyes:

Roof Rack Jon? Surely not. Roof bars, that's the way to go :lol: I know because someone told me.

I'm lining up a new Patriot rack. They are good people to deal with. I prefer the flat type rack but having taken a load of wood to the bonfire the other week, the basket type on the green one was handy. They do a ladder too which I may have. Why? Because the new roof tent has a rear door. I think it could be a handy way up and in.

Chris

Since installing your rear ladder, do you actually use it? I've seen many a truck with one and wondered about its real-world usefulness. They always look too short and upright to be used safely.
I use the ladder quite a lot for getting up on the roof, usually to tie things down and occasionally as a viewing platform or to get at the caravan roof to clean it. I used it to get in and out the back door of the Airtop roof tent a few times and I used if for opening and closing the Hannibal folding tent we had. The steps on mine are not super generous but enough to use quite safely even when wet and muddy I just have to make sure I've placed my feet properly.

Roof Rack Jon? Surely not. Roof bars, that's the way to go :lol: I know because someone told me.
:lol: bars for a tent, rack for firewood / diy :icon-biggrin: I could have just bolted an 8x4 sheet of ply to the bars but I fancied a rack :whistle:

Last edited:
Just get the weight of the patriot rack before pulling the plug. They are uber heavy chris and the basket really really kills the fuel. I dont mind what it like on fuel but with the bars was shocking.

You basket looks great jon. Like how tight the arb feet are to the roof.

Stu

Back