Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My HDJ80 Overland Build

Michael Clark

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

New member here. Owned a 100 series for years but sold that and bought a 96 80 series to turn into an overland vehicle with a trip to Africa planned next year.

When I bought her:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

First job was to drop off at Overland Cruisers for health check and thorough going through, so new shocks/springs fitted, safari snorkel, front calipers, axle rebuild, fluids etc...

Then I fitted the wheels and tyres, replaced the rear diff actuator and ripped out in the insides ready

IMAG0205.jpg

Currently underway:

Ive bought a bundutop roof tent and decided Im cutting a hole in the roof (half the roof) to allow for some seated headroom in the rear of the truck and also to access the roof tent making it more like a pop top than a roof tent

Also bought some front and rear steel bumpers from a company in Poland with rear swing out carriers.

All rear seats have been taken out along with all plastics. Water tanks will go behind front seats.

Got a long range sub tank which will fit where the spare wheel goes

Will have a bench seat with fridge (Waeco CD30) and storage underneath on the right of the vehicle and then on the left some units with pull out cooker etc... Will also double as another bed if I snore too much for the wife upstairs!

Lots of other plans but thats enough for now.

Hopefully some more experience 80 owners will throw in some advice :)

Welcome aboard Michael, and (as Chris said) your very smart looking 80... :thumbup:

... and does that mean you have a very smart set of alloys and 2nd & 3rd row interior leather seats for sale?

Welcome Michael that’s a smart looking cruiser you got there. Nice mods too looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks all.

Chris - Julian recommended Pedders with a view that ill likely be having to upgrade before long due to the extra weight - so the Pedders will probably be for sale too before long. And yes an 80 in the best colour ;)

Clive- yes I have very good 2nd and 3rd row seats (leather) and refurbished alloys with nearly new Cooper Tyres. Let me know if you are interested

Welcome.
that is a great looking 80..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As for the 80, yes looks nice. Previous owner tarted it up a bit but its all amazingly clean underneath.

I filtered my search by MOT history and ignored all the ones with rust issues at MOT time. This was the only one that didnt have any! And true enough, its great underneath

wecome mark.
i guess your the guy thats already dropped me a message previously.
beautiful truck..

have you any photos of the roof tent you went with?

A nice truck and nice tent. Looking forward to your trip details. Welcome.

Nice looking truck Michael. Perfect for your planned trip to Africa.

Interested to see how the roof tent access is going to work. Presumably you're also going to cut a hole in the floor of the roof tent?

Looking forward to watching this build.

Nick

Welcome and v interested in the build out and the trip route.
best

Well, I wanted access to the rooftent from inside the truck, and also to create some headroom inside the truck when sitting down. I also wanted to be able to remove the rooftent and use the truck without.

So decided that Ill cut an approx 1000x1000mm hole in the rear roof section, leaving the sunroof in place. I felt its not worth the effort to cut the whole roof as you need length for the sleeping platform anyway, there isnt much "livable" space up the front and would retain some strength (and would be an easier job all round)

Ill also cut a matching hole in the roof rack and roof tent floor.

There will be a custom aluminium frame bonded around the aperture and a steel bar welded and bonded to the forward section of the original section for strength.

Then another frame will join the roof tent to the apperture (it will actualy not be physically joined, just a weather seal between them).

When I want to remove rack and roof tent, I have another "top hat" cap which will go over the aperture and clip down

Probably make more sense when I get photos

Trip is with 7 other vehicles and a guide/leader. Ship to cape town and then travel north to Namibia and Botwsana

You should probably be speaking to Lazz given that he's done that trip and more in the area. Very helpful and knowledgeable. He's pretty much got the T shirt on that one.

Back