• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
could you insure it as a rally car until its a campervan?

Can you not drive it here 'on holiday' from the continent? That's how my blue one arrived. Could it be registered and insured in France, come over here, park up and be SORN?

I know that the forum on Stan's Overlander site wrestles with this stuff. They might have some ideas. I have read about registering and changes of use battles.

I don't know if it is practical or even legal but would a set of trade plates be an option? If it is only to move it from place to place during the build phase, before getting it registered as a camper, then it might be OK.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys:

Problem is that its not registered for the road as it is a race vehicle. So driving it here "on holiday" doesn't work. More over, trying to register a race truck in France, and then having to re register it will be a nightmare. I've looked into that already.

The trade plates I've considered too, I even have my own set of trade plates now. However, it has to be road worthy first, with a current valid AVT, and insured. The trade plates only cover the for the truck having no tax.

VOSA are all over the ports on entry and this truck will definitely be pulled for inspection as soon as it lands. (directly from VOSA head of enforcement at Dover)

It is undergoing a voluntary CT test in France today, so at least I'll have a European equivalent. If the only solution is low-load it here, then that's what I'll have to do.I've overcome bigger hurdles than this, so no real sweat.

Any Class 1 HGV drivers on here? I only have class 2

Anyone have any other suggestions, I'd be delighted to learn.

Reactions: Ben
Any Class 1 HGV drivers on here? I only have class 2

220 off road you say ... just googling now how to become a class 1 HGV driver. :smilingimp:

Sounds like bit of a night mare but I'm sure you will get there.

I have a class 1 lazz.

Used to have a lowloader as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was always under the impression that the trade plates covered both tax and mot.

On a commercial it mustn't carry a load.

Also can be used for unregistered vehicles

The trade plates I've considered too, I even have my own set of trade plates now. However, it has to be road worthy first, with a current valid AVT, and insured. The trade plates only cover the for the truck having no tax.

The vehicle has to be road worthy yes but I'm not sure about registered. Dealers use them to move brand new cars around before they are registered.

Really looking forward to following this build.

Maybe a bit left field but what about getting the existing back removed and shipped on a flatbed (cheaper than a low loader) and temporarily mount a caravan on the back? Wheels and suspension etc removed but as long as the securing is sufficient... Then it's a camper and registerable, etc.

Regards,

Rodger

Nice one Lazz, looking forward to seeing this build.

Yes definitely show the project. And yes please some more photos.

How about asking a few questions on one of the American RV forums?

They have to deal with trying to insure / tax / MoT bigger stuff.

You could try an importer and see if they have any suggestions.

A very nice truck.

I have to admit I do keep looking at something similar - only tyre kicking...but that's how they all start!

http://www.jsharples.co.uk/man-18225-4x4-ex-mod-army-flatbed-/189

Guy,

Yep I also just started by tyre kicking.

I had a look at that very truck and nearly bought it. It is in pretty good condition with a perfect wheelbase for a 5mtr box.... Only thing that stopped me was that it is RHD and I wanted a LHD truck.

On the truck front, I think I've cracked it.. Will know early next week.

Ok, truck and initial paperwork now all sorted !!

Got type approval certificate
Tacho fitted (temp)
Limiter installed (temp)
Got Insurance cover
Got French CT
Got emissions certification sorted
Got flights to France booked
Got ferry return booked
Got UK MOT booked.
Got new Garmin 770

Now all I need is the truck.... roll on 14th !

Errm don't forget your fuel card old chap.

Errm don't forget your fuel card old chap.
Rather graciously, the French seller just emailed me to say he has filled up one of the diesel tanks with derv. 460l, for my drive home !!

Who says the French have no class!!

Should get you to Calais then .....

Back