Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Navigation on a tablet

nivapilot

Country Flag
england
Hi Alan

Unfortunately, after admittedly a quick glance, I would have to say that neither of these would be suitable. At least not without the added expanse of an external GPS unit (If available at all). You really need to be looking for one with built in GPS. Samsung Galaxy Tab would be my choice but the iPad is just as good however there are cheaper units available with GPS. There is lots of information on what is needed to get them set up for navigation weather using them for Turn by Turn mapping (Like a SatNav) or using OS maps for laneing etc.

See these threads for more info
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/46526-iPad-Nav
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/43472-iPad-Galaxy-Tab-or-something-else
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/43374-Scrapping-the-Stereo

If they have Bluetooth you can pick up a rechargeable GPS puck for about £12 off of eBay. I have a copilot one and it works a treat.

You can get the Versus on amazon for less than £90.00.

Apple 7" tablet is apparently on its way, cost £199.00 or less, so about the same as comparable samsung.

The versus gets decent reviews, downside being battery life, so if you can get a cigarette charger should be ok with external gps.

Pete

If they have Bluetooth you can pick up a rechargeable GPS puck for about £12 off of eBay. I have a copilot one and it works a treat.

My apologies Alan. I did not know that these were available at that sort of price.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's ok Chris.
I'm still going from site to site, and back again, checking details.

like the versus 7 hasn't got bluetooth, or gps...........the kindle doesn't have any other way to transfer files, other than wireless....so I need to make a list of what I would like from a tablet and start checking again.....Thanks for all your input so far lads....much appreciated.

Hi Alan

I went into PC World today and had a look at the Versus.

Its a nice looking unit, not at all plasticky, and it worked well enough.

Battery life is an issue I think.

At £99 its better than some of the £100-120.oo units, although it doesnt take micro-sd cards, it uses TF cards (not sure what they are).

Samsung are offering £30.00 cashback on the 7" tablet, which brings the price down to £169.99 - that comes with a gps chipset and at the moment looks to be the best at that size, I reckon they are trying to grab market share before a 7" apple comes out.

Pete

Chris Green90;[URL="tel:335956" said:
335956[/URL]]However absolutely useless if you havent got a 3G 4G or whatever connection.

Ahh yes good point,

however note: even using your 3g abroad, it initially searches & sets the route, then turn 3g/data off & it will navigate but only using basic route info & the zoomed in mapped data is just a basic map, handy to know to keep data usage to a minimum.

I thought TR (trans flash) were micro SD cards?
The smart phones all (may be not all) seem to use TF.

May be I am wrong?

Gra.

Attachments

• micro SD.jpg
    micro SD.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 212
  • TF card.jpg
    TF card.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 226
I dont know if micro-SD and TransFlash are the same thing, the guy in Currys had never heard of TF, but if they are then its not an issue.

Maybe not relevant, but the other issue with the tablets, even when they run on Android, is that not all give access to the full app market (possibly also called google play?).

The 10.1" Samusng has a £50.00 cashback deal, bringing the price down to £250.00, its not the very latest model, and it also has the gps chipset.

In the iPads favour, I have a (crap) iphone 4 which I can set up as a mini-hotspot, so could buy the wi-fi model with gps chipset, and tether it if necessary, whereas I dont think I can do that with the iphone 4 and samsung combo.

Pete

In the iPads favour, I have a (crap) iphone 4 which I can set up as a mini-hotspot, so could buy the wi-fi model with gps chipset, and tether it if necessary, whereas I dont think I can do that with the iphone 4 and samsung combo.

Pete

You can tether any device to a iPhones hotspot. I tethered my windows laptop to my wifes iPhone, so can't see why you can do the same with a Android device...

A wifi hotspot works like a wifi router, you can connect any wifi enabled device to it regardless of who its made by or what software/OS it runs, though saying that Ive always found it difficult connecting apple devices to anything other than apple devices but thats just apple being difficult.

You can tether any device to a iPhones hotspot. I tethered my windows laptop to my wifes iPhone, so can't see why you can do the same with a Android device...

Hope your SWMBO knows you're busy chewing into her data allowance :lol:

All good stuff here lads, thanks
I too have been back to PC world today, seen the offers on samsung units, spoke to a very nice man who told me about the new Kindle Fire unit, and he also tells me that in the next week?, windows will be launching windows 8, and a whole new game will be set in motion, with loads of new tablets coming on the market, with the possibility of lots of deals.......heres hoping.

I'm watching this with intrest
In the market for either a tablet or a net book.

Back