Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need Help! Challenges in increasing the torque/power in a 2004 1HDFTE

Not good enough! I kept the Unichip initial settings. What is your opinion about all these?
I haven't looked into tuning at all -- happy with the standard "go". Takes me anywhere I need, at legal speeds (low in Norway).
But I do like to read success stories, and have observed that several people in Norway and Australia have succeeded in gaining quite a bit of power and torq by changing exhaust, turbo and I/C, and adding a chip.
I think that the differences between the 4-speed and 5-speed (auto) versions will affect the functioning of a tuning chip.

Ok so did you celebrate it before install? Then you need to check actual vacuum by using vacuum gauge and a t piece. You need to identify the voltages required and sent by the ecu to see if they are controlling the vacuum properly

I had calibrated max close to factory specs. To exclude any doubts I gave up to genuine VNT control and I use a VNT controler from these guys : www.tuning-diesels.co.uk
My opinion is that VNT on our big 4.2 engine is worthless, except when you want to squeeze all the potential.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you asked the question on the Ozzie Lcool.org forums?

Lots of Gturbos on there with Unichips.
1000Nm at all 4 wheels is not uncommon so it can be made to work.

@CruiserMania I would be very interested to have more detail on what has and has not worked and on current achievements as looking at the same route that you have taken so far. Can you pm me?

Hello,

I think you go wrong direction with modify the electronic controlling of fuel delivery.
As far i know the fuel increase on 1hd-fte is possible only with oversized injector, or maybe
tuned+ refurbished Fuelpump
Many Australian users have +70 or +100% Injectors and they can reach typically 300-350HP.

Gturbo also sells them are package (Turbo+injectors+ECU)
There is a Fuel pump refurbisher ADS Injection, they refurbishing the existing pump for 1700Aud, however its not clear if they do any modifications on it. They are also selling 120% Injectors for this engine.

https://www.gturbo.com.au/product/1hd-fte-injector-upgrade-bad-boy-extreme-manual-only/

https://www.facebook.com/ADSInjection4880/

https://www.gturbo.com.au/product/1...mance-package-turboinjectorspre-tuned-module/

I think you have the euro3 version with MAF, i am a beginner, but going to do the same steps as you, because i cant find a pre 2002 version in good condition, which could be seamlessly equipped with the Gturbo kit.
Could you please help me with sharing your expirence ?
Where did you find a unichip programmer in Romania ?
How many HP is your car actually ?

Best regards,
Adam.

@IvanD @Adam770

The euro HD-FTE is different from the Aussie one. They don't use a MAF sensor and the ECU firmware is different. I had quite a long exchange with CruiserMania and he recommend using local EU products as there would be better support. He tried the Aussie systems and had created issues which were quite costly to repair. He eventually sourced an Aussie ECU but I am not sure of the outcome.

I have the following from Gturbo which reiterates the issue.

Hi Andrew,

Firstly I’m terribly sorry for taking such a long time to reply to your enquiry.

Actually since your model is a vnt turbo, the tuning is quite complex to do the job properly and the factory ecu behaves completely differently to what we have here. It’s not something we can assist with from here unfortunately as we never received this model and therefore we don’t have the research needed to guarantee you a solution you would be happy with.

We have in the past retrofitted an Australian ECU and added a Vortex Green. However we are limited in our ability to give good customer service/backup that we would normally give and therefore I would fear the success of the project.

So..... I’m really sorry but we can’t help you on this one.

All the best with it, it’s a great project.

Best regards,

Graeme Bentink

What is needed is for some one who can determine if there is a physical difference between the EU and Aussie ECU and can the firmware be copied from Aussie to EU ECU, in effect make the EU model behave as if it was a Aussie one.

Last edited:
As far as I know nobody has ever been able to tinker with the 100 series ECU. That's why external controllers are used, instead of adjusting the maps inside the ECU.
I have found only two controllers available in Europe that support the 1HD-FTE - Tunit (Tunit Petrol & Diesel Performance Tuning - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]) and Adonis (Adonis Technology - Unités de Gestion Moteur & Reprogrammation - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club])
I have heard mixed reports about Tunit. Seems like it's a generic thing that boosts fuel across the board with little regard to 1HD-FTE specifics - like cutting off fuel when shifting gears to protect the auto.
Adonis looks like the real deal, but last time I was able to track down prices - it was about €2000 for the chip!

Unichip supposedly has European dealer - Unichip ECU Mapping Chip Distributor | Unichip Europe - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] based in teh UK. I haven't contacted them yet. Unfortunately I am in Bulgaria, so it's very unpractical for me.

When looking into this initially, I was expecting the same as you, that it should be relatively easy to increase the power.

The list of items I was looking at were/still are -
  1. Uni-Chip
  2. Gturbo - Grunter
  3. PDU intercooler
  4. possible need for new injectors
  5. not clear on the injector pump as its a mechanically driven pump but is controlled electronically
On the ECU, if the EU ECU is physically the same as the Aussie one then it should be possible to clone Aussie code to a EU ECU.

Would need a spare EU one and an Aussie one to do this though and a ODB tool with J2534 tool, as below, or an Eprom read right tool for about £15. But its risky so not pursued this at the moment.

Autel Scan tool

Tech Stream

Last edited:
Nice. If they have made it play nice with the EU ECU that would be my top choice!

hello sorry for the delay, I have already solved this problem for some time. my 100 develops 77kg of engine torque at 2110 rpm and 283 hp at around 3100 rpm all at 1.3 bar pressure. I still have an oversize turbo and original injectors. there are several upgrades and changes to make. but everything is possible.
My mail Is [email protected] write me there of you Need.
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG-20200718-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20200718-WA0031.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 118
Hey, it would be great if any info is also availbale here for the sake of future visitors.
Did you use a Unichip? Who tuned it in Italy? A few words on what you had to do would be greatly appreciated.
You mentioned you put a bigger turbo? I wonder what the safe limit on the stock VNT turbo is? For the Australian CT26 it seems to be about 18psi.

you're right, the forums are made for this .. but this morning I was running to finish some other changes to the car.
I have a toyota hdj 100 from 2000 manual gearbox slightly modified over the years, I travel a lot and when a few races happen.
I'll list what changes I've made to make it a lot of fun.
I have an air / water intercooler, I had the original turbine overhauled with an impeller of the same size but in avional and reinforced the bearings with the HD ones of the CT26, I made a change to the accelerator pedal bringing it to 88% (original is about 65/70%), two years ago magically after more than 300.000km my pump left me, so I dismantled everything and with great difficulty I reconstructed it .... and here I realized some limitations for the European version euro3 .. modified and reassembled. very prompt delivery from the lowest engine revs, I built a steel hull creating a downpipe divorce, and it is fantastic.
a bit like acting on the lda of a mechanical pump, all without the use of electronics yet .... in the result I shot before you find the result with 2 tests with the control unit off and 1 with the control unit on. where I have 250hp @ 3423 rpm and 56 kg @ 3013 rpm, but already 50kg @ 1800 rpm. an excellent result with 1.1 bar of turbo pression. and 283hp @ 3258rpm, and 77kg @ 2110 all at 1.3 bar pressure with MWR control unit on.
until last week I was mounting an adonis raid version control unit, now I am in contact with a person I recommend, professional and very competent. who sold me a new electronic kit improved by them and I'm very happy with it.
the gentleman is called Manolo willy of the MWR 4x4 in spain, email [email protected]. on facebook mwr4x4, telephone 0034656547449 ... you can contact him via whatapp and tell him that you are a friend of Dave from Italy ... in addition to the control unit that I recommend, he has many other excellent solutions that I will soon try. as dense injectors with slightly oversized, variable geometry turbos, and the famous kit to transform the 100 rigid axel of the patrol gr.
the gentleman is called Manolo Willy of the MWR 4x4 in spain, email [email protected]. on facebook mwr4x4, telephone 0034656547449 ...
you can contact him via whatapp and tell him that you are a friend of Dave from Italy ...
in addition to the control unit that I recommend, he has many other excellent solutions that I will soon try. as denso injectors with slightly oversized, variable geometry turbos, and the famous kit to transform the 100 rigid bridge of the patrol gr.
I hope you understand everything, I used the translator. my next upgrades will be the injectors (mine have 350,000 km) and I can't wait to try the variable geometry turbine. I am not looking for CVs but I love motor shooting and my next target is 90kg of torque ... regards Davide

Attachments

• Inked20160414_175729_LI.jpg
    Inked20160414_175729_LI.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 112
If you can get 750 - 1000 Nm Torque and 350 Hp then I would be very happy and stick at that .
1000Nm is going to start ripping things apart .....you are correct in assuming there is probably something controlling the torque below 2000rpm , no doubt to ensure gearbox longevity .....we use similar on high HP Ag stuff with full power and torque often limited by several parameters as otherwise it will simply twist the trans apart ......again we are using Common Rail and either Full Powershift or Vario gearboxes but still have to limit Torque and HP at lower revs and gear ratios , if you get 375 hp and 1200Nm then for sure you will find the weakest link in the power train , fix that and the next bit will break , eventually you will need more power due to the increased weight and parasitic power loss and the process starts again.....good luck sounds fun
Them are super Power.. how did you get It?

Back