Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Never Mind Russia....

Bonkers, but try explaining what those floats are for when trying to get through the Russian border! They had it easy.

I had some pants like Norms!... What a cracking, enjoyable video:thumbup:

That has to be the ultimate adventure! No mobile phones, no gps, make your own wheels, raft, etc,etc.., minimal kit, live off the land. Those guys obviously knew their Cruisers inside out but what a great way to spend a few months. Loved the broken leaf spring fix with the log.

Fantastic video, thanks for sharing it. Brave and clever!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would feel like a cheat trying to do this trip in an 80 series with modern accessories. I think the most impressive thing was how they used the current to traverse the river. I wonder how much other archived footage people have of similar that just hasn't found its way online!

I would feel like a cheat trying to do this trip in an 80 series with modern accessories. I think the most impressive thing was how they used the current to traverse the river. I wonder how much other archived footage people have of similar that just hasn't found its way online!
Im sure there are hundreds of the home made movie type films locked away in drawers, Especially Aus/ S.Africa Reminds me of the missus and I exploring Europe sleeping and living in the back of the old Colorado, Cooking on an old stove we got out of a caravan, and sleeping on rolled up sponge... And navigating by MAP.. Just finding somewhere nice at the end of the day, and wild camping..

Brilliant, what a great trip and video. “Ferry glide” is using the current to propel you across moving water. I remember the ferry at Arley not far from Bewdley, that had a wire strung across the River Severn and a pulley on a cable to the boat. It was not much more than a raft but it ferried people, and later trucks and cars across the river for donkeys years, just by swinging the tiller one way and then the other way for the return journey.

Here’s some old photos ...

0674EAFE-9662-4DAB-91D1-93B98FDF7E0A.jpeg

Circa 1939...

507CF6DE-512D-4D06-AEB7-0A5FEFA3127A.jpeg

Circa 1910

CF74CA73-D4C4-4C92-86CC-47E049CF4321.jpeg

Circa 1955

Can’t delete this one.... 67724593-EE43-4965-8216-99F5BE65A7B3.jpeg

Brilliant Clive... Id liked to have been around in those times, the perfect Time,, and just freeze it and stay there.. love the old cars under the arches..

Brilliant Clive... Id liked to have been around in those times, the perfect Time,, and just freeze it and stay there.. love the old cars under the arches..

Ha, ha, yep. I remember it in the early 60’s I’d be about 10. When my parents used to rent a caravan at Bewdley, and later in the 70’s as a 17+ year old exploring places in my 1955 Austin A30....

That was great. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that or something like it as I remember the pontoons.

Amen to that.

Neither was I. :lol:

Ok, ok, I’ve got it, I’m an old fart... :lol:

But life was much simpler in those days, a high tech mod on my A30 was swapping out the trafficators for winking turn indicators... :lol:

Sorry GW for the threadjack....

Ok, ok, I’ve got it, I’m an old fart... :lol:

But life was much simpler in those days, a high tech mod on my A30 was swapping out the trafficators for winking turn indicators... :lol:

Sorry GW for the threadjack....
And you didn't have to take it back to Austin to get the ECU calibrated so the on board diagnostics could tell the computer. that you'd swapped an indicator:thumbup:

This was me crossing a river in Croatia on a ferry that used the river current to cross.

Croatia ferry.JPG

In Albania, they still use them as well. Maybe it's not by the current... Driving around there felt like a 30 years setback. But nothing as epic as the guys in the movie.
P1120522.JPG

Back