Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New user map

Right folks,

So on your posts now there is a new link called "View me on a map" This will show up if you have filled in your location details. Everyone's location has been moved across so now the map looks pretty. When clicking on a link, it will zoom in to that person and put them in the centre. More work to come on this.

If you location does not show up, check your settings in UCP (User Control Panel)

See the thread in Forum FAQs for more info.

Crispin, just a thought is this show me on a map button just available to members?
Works great by the way

I was just being nosey and looked at Steve's (sae70) as he is also from essex but i dont know if its delibrate or not but he is all the way over in the usa in a place called Essex near new jersey :lol:

Joe

aye. I turn out to be in Florida lol
Nice turn, but Scotland is a wee bit more wet..lol

Happenned to me too. i was put in a street called Cruden bay in Virginia :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Aye I had to put in "Cruden Bay, Scotland" to get it to locate me. I could have put in my actual village name and there would be no doubt it would have dropped the marker on my house but as we live in a very sad world where nobody can be trusted on the net I had to use my local town. :roll:

Ecoman said:
Aye I had to put in "Cruden Bay, Scotland" to get it to locate me. I could have put in my actual village name and there would be no doubt it would have dropped the marker on my house but as we live in a very sad world where nobody can be trusted on the net I had to use my local town. :roll:

agreed. Big brother is watching too much as it is..and other low lifes...If I would put inmy exact coordinates I'd have the same. Loch Lomond will do

Julian said:
Crispin, just a thought is this show me on a map button just available to members?
Works great by the way

Nope, it's viewable to the world the same way your location normally is in the profile. If you remove your location this this will be hidden.

As for the ambiguous place names, I do a lookup on your address the first time someone views the map after you have updated the address. should that person be from the US, Google will assume the closest match is the US one.

Hi Crispin

This view me on a map is brilliant, but take you as a example, I click the link on the site and I get poss 30 or more people showing up, so How do I know which one is you, I have to put the cursor over each one to find you.

Can it not be done so if I click you, then on the map you are a different color ? (if you know what I mean)

Yup, that is possible and on the cards.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Yeah and stop hiding! I could not find you either

Rudolph said:
Ecoman said:

agreed. Big brother is watching too much as it is..and other low lifes...If I would put inmy exact coordinates I'd have the same. Loch Lomond will do
Agreed as well :clap: I've entered the post code of the Police station in the main town nearest to me, about 3 or 4 miles away :lol:

It has stuck the marker right on top of the roof :lol: Good luck to anyone turning up there to get a better look @ Fiery :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

I just put in the 1st 4 figures of my postcode.

My icon on the map is actually a couple of miles from where I am, I tried changing the location in my profile from Morden to Merton Park, no difference, and then to the first part of my postcode but the icon is still in the first place that it showed :confusion-confused:

Chas go to

http://maps.google.co.uk/

try typing in your post code until its as near as you like, then use that in your profile.

Remember to leave a space between the first part and the 2nd as in

AA10 7AA

AA10 get you near, AA10 7 gets you closer etc.

Hope that works.

Chas, what Matt said is sound advice - that would work.

I've updated your profile though to say "Merton, Greater London SW19" which is what google suggested and it work.

Well something has changed, instead of being 2 miles South of my location I am now 2 miles North, I do get around don't I. :lol:

If you put "your street name, morden, uk" in, what happens? It should work.

Back