Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not another new torch. I need professional help.

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
OK so look, I'm at the checkout at Go Outdoors paying for my new tent. Oh, ahh, right. Errm. OK so look. I'm getting into the motorbicycling thing and I've been camping with it but I was finding that my Vango Banshee was just a bit too damn small to live in. Sleeping in it was fine. But cooking and so on, nah just too small. So I'm at the checkout with this new tent (number 13 or 14 I think) anyway, I spot these nifty torch things on the till and before I can say how many Lumens are these and what is the burn time on alkaline batteries and can they be recharged, are they water proof and is the magnet a special magnet.....

I'd bought one and was in the car park. Go figure. So what is it? Is it bright?

It's a NEBO Big Larry. It's heavy, very solid, takes 3 AA's and is so bright it's criminal. The LEDs are covered by some sort of resin can't so you can't see them. The result is that the light has no centre to it. It just throws a flood. It's nuts. £13. What?

Now the picture really does not show the brightingness. Honestly, you can't look into the lens. It has high and low power and then flashing signal red which is tres cool.
Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 20.29.41.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 20.29.54.jpg

I know this affliction. For I am also a victim.

I bought the lil' Larry last time I was at Go Outdoors. I also have a raft of various LED torches around the house and in use for work. All of which were bought obsessively.

I really do like Nebo torches (I also have a Twyst), and that is why, when I head to Go Outdoors this weekend I'm highly likely to buy lil' Larry's big brother, and I'll hold you directly responsible!

There's probably a help group for this. FA.

Flash-lights Anonymous.

Got probably a dozen LED Lensers already. It's not about brighter; it's about different. And for £13

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK so look, I'm at the checkout
I feel you pain amigo.After years of suffering (petzel & maglight were my downfall) im now maintaining with a 3.99 lidil head torch & a larger hand held from Aldi.Torches have a habit of going missing or being water tested or dropped so 13 quid is a great purchase.
If you need further help try ringing 0800 LAMPLINE where sympathetic advice is available 24/7 ;)

Got one of these from my local wholesalers at Christmas. Used it so many times as the magnet is so strong you can pull a small car along with it (well almost). The LED you speak of is known as COB and seems to be available in many forms from flat sheet to fillament style strips.
For area lighting this is one cracking good torch. For lighting down tunnels and such (projecting) it’s completely useless, but then it’s not that sort of torch.
My one desire would be USB charging but it’s not used up it’s batteries yet.

Chris, you got a better price than I did by £2

Ii never said it was the best ever, or the ultimate torch, but just that this technology is moving so fast that you can have the sun at night for the price of a fish n chip supper for two. I think that as a break down torch it could be fantastic. Because it floods not spots and it's magnetic as you said Rich, it's going to light the area that you are working on. Problem is that Landrovers aren't magnetic.....

I've got one of these in my 80 Moggy bought on the recommendation of Andrew St Pierre White, it's brighter than a bright thing, to bright to be of use really unless you want to use it as an aircraft searchlight and although it is rechargeable that can only be done from the mains, a 12v charger would be handy. I wouldn't recommend it.
Too expensive for my money anyway but some of their standard battery ones are more sensible pricing and look good, but I can still get a 3d cell maglite for a third as much so that’s probably what I’ll be getting, I’ve had one before and it was good both as a torch and self defence!!

Back