Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not mainstream... but a classic

I remember watching this MB promo trip on the Canning Stock Route go horribly wrong. Parts had to be flown in to keep the convoy of brand new Gs going.

Yes, if you read Quiet for a Tuesday (his book), he had to crawl back to Germany from Algeria in limp mode and then it took a virtual strip down to find the fault. Model before would have been a broken throttle cable at worst.
Iirc it took a few goes to get it sorted as well.

Heres a photo. its older than i thought. its on an old X plate whatever year that is. 90k on the clock.

IMG_5823.JPG

Last edited:
Funny how Jaguar Land Rover had "no choice" but to axe the Defender as it was too boxy for modern regs. yet the G-Wagon still keeps rolling off the line.............................

One of the factors leading to the defenders demise was the lack of supply of engines on top of the labour intensive construction. With the right ammount of R and D it could have followed the G Wagen's path to re invention.

Few body panels ( I know a G Wagen breaker) bit of welding and she's back on the road. Is it the 5 cyl 3 litre diesel engine Karl?

Exactly andy.
yep its the 3L 5 pot.
id like tje om606 engine with tje turbo and manual pump. easily get the to 500horse im told.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Exactly andy.
yep its the 3L 5 pot.
id like tje om606 engine with tje turbo and manual pump. easily get the to 500horse im told.

I know a guy who is into this putting high performance diesels into G Wagens. He's a not very active member on here IIRC.

One of the factors leading to the defenders demise was the lack of supply of engines on top of the labour intensive construction. With the right ammount of R and D it could have followed the G Wagen's path to re invention.
I had high hopes when it went to ford that at last it would get a decent Diesel engine, something like an iveco, but sadly it never happened.
Now it’s owned by Tata I wouldn’t be surprised to see them being made in India in a few years, like a lot of old British motors and jeeps. Maybe that was behind the sale all along.

I had high hopes when it went to ford that at last it would get a decent Diesel engine, something like an iveco, but sadly it never happened.
Now it’s owned by Tata I wouldn’t be surprised to see them being made in India in a few years, like a lot of old British motors and jeeps. Maybe that was behind the sale all along.

I can't see them making the defender in its last incarnation again, everywhere is getting regulated on safety issues and the Defender is way behind.

Except India, that are still producing cars from the 1950s!

Are you talking about the Ambassador? Which they stopped making about 5 years ago. New Indian cars have to be Euro 6 compliant from this year. And are already Euro 4. So they're what, about 4 years behind us?

Are you talking about the Ambassador? Which they stopped making about 5 years ago. New Indian cars have to be Euro 6 compliant from this year. And are already Euro 4. So they're what, about 4 years behind us?
Really, didn’t know they were that up on it, Euro 4 yes but didn’t expect euro 6 yet.

I can't see them making the defender in its last incarnation again, everywhere is getting regulated on safety issues and the Defender is way behind.
Jim Ratcliffe, owner of Ineos, is planning on building a new defender. He tried to buy the rights from Land Rover. They said no. Now he is moving ahead on his own and may redesign a new “defender” from scratch. He is talking to Ford about taking over their Welsh assembly plant. Billionaire with a passion so likely to happen.

Jim Ratcliffe, owner of Ineos, is planning on building a new defender. He tried to buy the rights from Land Rover. They said no. Now he is moving ahead on his own and may redesign a new “defender” from scratch. He is talking to Ford about taking over their Welsh assembly plant. Billionaire with a passion so likely to happen.
Santana always made a good version, still on leaves with an iveco engine iirc

Santana always made a good version, still on leaves with an iveco engine iirc

Extremely prone to rust, though, weren’t they? Probably didn’t help that the importer was in Dundee if memory serves so many of them started life on farms in Scotland.

Extremely prone to rust, though, weren’t they? Probably didn’t help that the importer was in Dundee if memory serves so many of them started life on farms in Scotland.
So were landrovers!

Back