Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not the normal tyre question....

Need two new BFG's thought I'd look for 4..... have you seen the price lol :wink:

I have coopers on mine for just over year. Done about 15k miles. I'm really happy with them. I've not done serious mud, but a hit a couple deep mud traps on my recent trip, had no problems. Not had the chance in snow yet, so I cant comment.

I be more than happy to invest in another set in the future. Also I saved £250.00 on a set of 5.

G.

I have coopers on mine for just over year. Done about 15k miles. I'm really happy with them. I've not done serious mud, but a hit a couple deep mud traps on my recent trip, had no problems. Not had the chance in snow yet, so I cant comment.

I be more than happy to invest in another set in the future. Also I saved £250.00 on a set of 5.

G.
Which coopers in particular Gary....

I've had brand new MT's be poor in the wet tbh. Age and hardening will be a factor. Harder compound when new will have an effect too.

Siping in tyres is there for wet/icy/snow conditions, solid rubber tread blocks have less grip then ones with siping.

From what I've read the coopers are a bit softer then the bfg too.
Named after a chap called john who worked on a boat and cut slits in his boots iirc.

ive long been a advocate of dedicated winter tyres.

Most of the sipes on the coopers dont actually go anywhere, so I wonder how/where they eject the water? Marketing bullshit, as usual.

Always been in favour of bfg at's with good results, tried coopers and was let down badly with split beads in the first week. Used to have bfg mt's on my last 80 in the uk but found them useless in the snow and ice especially in very low temps in the romanian mountains so looking around again for this 80, and will probably be bfg at again but this time staying with standard size instead of the usual switch to 285's that i cant see the point of anymore, despite them listing at a cheaper price new.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a cooper ST let me down with a split bead in the first week too. Quite dramatic. I need some new tyres for the Hilux. I've a set of 275 16 BFG ATS with hardly any miles on them on 80 alloys. I tried to fit them to the Hilux with spacers as the 16" rims wouldn't clear the calipers. Nope. Far too much catching on the wing liners. Probably need to sell those and get some 17" rubber to go on the original wheels. Not looking forward to that invoice.

When we had our 120 series, I had BFG AT.
They were 10,000 miles old when I got them, so almost as new.

I put on some thing like 60,000 miles.
No cracking to report.

They did need over and above normal inflation pressures.
Mine were very happy with around 40 to 44 psi in.
Depending if the caravan was in tow.

Would I have them again.?

yes, most defintly.

Not the cheapest, but do give a lot of confidence.

Graham

on the subject of tyre pressures, what do you lot normally run on the road without compromising comfort and even wear?

I used to run around 30psi on my Nankangs, but having upgraded to the Toyos I'm now 25-30psi as they have much stiffer sidewalls. They're also bigger and heavier than my previous tyres, and the ride is noticeably harsher with them above 30psi.

Also, my truck is around 2 tonnes, not 3+ tonne, so they're a heavy tyre for a lighter truck anyway.

Owen

I'm running Maxxis AT 771 tyres on mine due to the low price.

18 months in and all good so far.

Shayne's gone for Toyo, open country to replace his cooper STTs, they're a mud tread and look great and he says the perform great on asphalt, too. Worth a look.

Shayne's gone for Toyo, open country to replace his cooper STTs, they're a mud tread and look great and he says the perform great on asphalt, too. Worth a look.

The sizes listed would mean going 13.50 wide for me.

Another shout for the bfg. I run the 285/75/16 personally don't like smaller as they don't look right on the 80. I'm not running silly tyres to save 5mpg.

I do a fair bit of heavy towing as well as lanning all weather driving. They aren't great in the mud but you get mud tyres for that ;)

I've never bought a new set they have always been second hand. I've got a set of old ones now that are cracking.

I've heard of some people get 100k out of a new set. For the upfront cost. Yes it's high but in the long run a worth while investment. Jmo

I am also looking for a new set of tires. I am again tending to/go for bfg muds.
This mainly because in my favorite tire size for the 80 (255/85/16) I have not yet found AT's.

Most of the sipes on the coopers dont actually go anywhere, so I wonder how/where they eject the water? Marketing bullshit, as usual.
And some dont even go that deep. Ive had a set of maxxis bighorns where the sipes were less than halfway.

Back