Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OBD2 protocol & airbag light

John Packham

I've searched the site but not spotted an answer to this question.

I have a 2005 diesel (they're always diesels in France) with a flashing airbag warning light. It just started doing it - I haven't been dismantling anything...

I plugged my OBD2 reader into the port under the dash but get a "Linking Error".

So, is the airbag light a common issue and if so what's the cure and does anybody know which OBD2 protocol these vehicles use?

Can't answer you on the airbag light, other than to say that mine was on when I screwed up the spiral switch under the steering wheel.

As for OBD II - nope, the 2005 model only talks Toyota, although it does use the same connector. Only went to OBD II in 2007 (I think) in Europe. Which is a pain, because the Aussies seem to have proper OBD II data-streams on their 120's - even those that still had the 1KZ-TE motor. Different laws, I guess. :twisted:

Gary Stockton said:
...Only went to OBD II in 2007 (I think) in Europe.

I had read that there was an EU directive requiring all diesels from 2004 on to be OBD2 compliant.

But

I've now read the relevant EU directive (yeah - get a life) and it seems to say (I'm no lawyer) that diesels from 2004 (existing models) must have an OBD system... but it doesn't state a standard or protocol requirement.

Onwards and upwards!

Annoying because my 2001 Pug is OBD2 compliant.

Yup, was 2004 where they (Diesel engines) were supposed to support it. Can't argue the "an OBD type system" though. Mine is a Jan 2004 (still 53 plate) and it does not speak OBD2 or CAN. I've had numerous readers (only every buy from ebay if there is a return policy ;) ) which could read both my wife's cars and could not speak to the LC. Mr-T speak it though and their techs are adamant that the device is OBD2. :snooty:

If you whre in the UK I would offer to help with my reader but seen as you are in France it might be a little difficult.

If you ever inthe UK and still have thelight let meknow and we can make a plan.

FYI Toyota here charge you silly money just to get it on their machine and then you have to take their word for it as to what the problem is.

I just stumbled on this old post of mine... the airbag light went off about a couple of weeks later and is still off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back