Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OCCASIONAL STARTING ISSUE

timtim

Can anyone help with this one please ?
It happens about one in ten times when starting from cold, not necessarily from freezing, just a cold start.
Normally she starts instantly with the first touch as all Landcruisers should, but sometimes it doesn't quite catch, then it is a pig to get going. Engine will spin for about 15 seconds then run very lumpy for about 5 seconds, after that she's fine and maybe not do it again for 2 or 3 weeks.
Never done it with a warm engine.
It's a '93 import, 90k mls, diesel auto.
Filters and fuel all fine.
Any ideas :?:

Possibly fuel draining back to tank. Early signs of lift pump failure perhaps?

Chris

Mine does this and have narrowed it down to fuel running back from pump,occurs if car has been stood still for a couple of days and or low on fuel(less air in system if full of derv i presume).I leave the tank cap un-screwed by half a turn(with it on tight i got a whoosh of air when released).
under the bonnet use the priming pump to draw fuel forward,you can hear it gurgling and should go hard when it is full of fuel again.
you will need a pump refurb to fix the problem i would imagine.
cheers gary

The fuel tank filler cap is a common one and there are quite a few threads running on that one including a "how to" by Rob. I also did the tank breather on mine which helped but that was more to do with a power problem. On a similar note, the fuel tank strainer is a known issue to get dirty.
I only mention those as they are relatively easy free checks before you need to start attacking major mechanical or expensive items.

Easy cheap way to see if it is fuel drain - google non return fuel valve 12mm get one of those cut fuel line under bonnet shove that in line. Cured mine in a heart beat lift pumps are like £70!

C

The diaphragm in the manual primer pump gets small pin holes in it, this allows the fuel to drain back to the tank, loose clips on the pipes will cause the same symptoms. The start and cut out is the small amount of fuel in the pump firing the engine, a few cranks later and the lift pump pulls the fluid back up and the engine starts. It is quite a common problem and I have seen anti syphon valves fitted and electric 'pusher' pumps used to mask the problem. The electric pusher pump can also stop the fuel warmer working as well so something to think about with the cold weather the UK has at the moment.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
After Chris's tip on non return valve ,i got one off ebay and fitted yesterday,ive just put another £100 of diesel so will have to wait a while to see if prob has been sorted.

cheers gary

Where did you fit the valve? The best place would be between the tank and the filter, that stops the problem I mentioned where the manual pump diaphram lets in air.

regards

Dave

Back