Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overheating

adrianr said:
ATF and its your transmission cooler i would think.

built in to the bottom of the main radiator .. ?????

i'll get a pic

That's right! I would be worried about where the rest of the thermostat is if I were you...

pic of the rad .... i've put the pipe on the two little ones to stop the red oil like stuff comming out

006.jpg

You will need to top up the ATF when you put the rad back on ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Red Oktober said:
right .... is that any atf ...or a specific type
Dexron II is probably good enough if you're looking for minimum spec. Otherwise put something fancier in ;)

Andrew Prince said:
[quote="Red Oktober":wjb2gad3]right .... is that any atf ...or a specific type
Dexron II is probably good enough if you're looking for minimum spec. Otherwise put something fancier in ;)[/quote:wjb2gad3]

cheers Andrew :thumbup:

Carl

I have spoken to Toyota about whats best to use, basically Dexron 2 as mentioned - mineral is fine when the gearbox is mated to a 2.4 (its not really stressing the gearbox is it!), a semi-synthetic is arguably better, a fully synthetic is a waste of money - too much atf left in the torque converter so the fully synthetic is pointless.

Comma do a mineral atf. Halfords in Newton Abbot will have what you need.

I'm not overkeen on the little wire clips that Toyota used, jubilee clips ok, or even better are the jubilee clips used on gas pipes which dont deform the rubber hose.

Where is the rest of the thermostat?

If that is what you found when you opened it up, you've found the problem at least !

The only place it could've gone is in to the top of the rad, maybe have a poke around with a metal coathanger, make sure its not in the top.

I was over your way on Wednesday, didnt have a number as I would've called in.

Cheers

Pete

Cheers pete ...

there's nothing rattling inside the rad at all .... and i have heard of the guts of the thermostat being removed and the seal left as a cheap fix. ...

the pic of the stat is how i found it,

i'll be gettin new jubilee clips any way cos i don't like the sprung clips that are on there now

will flush out the system and the rad in the morning till the water goes clear .....

any ideas where the filler is on the auto box ...

Just had another look at the picture - if the stat has didintegrated in situ then the bits must still be in the block, not the rad.

I dont understand how that can have happened though, the stat wont just fall apart, I wonder if it was broken previosly and they refitted it so the seal was ok, no sign of sealant which I would expect to see if no stat in place.

Fill the Atf through the pipe where the atf dipstick is.

Pete

wobbly said:
Just had another look at the picture - if the stat has didintegrated in situ then the bits must still be in the block, not the rad.

I dont understand how that can have happened though, the stat wont just fall apart, I wonder if it was broken previosly and they refitted it so the seal was ok, no sign of sealant which I would expect to see if no stat in place.

Fill the Atf through the pipe where the atf dipstick is.

Pete

looks like the stat has been dismantled by someone rather than disintegrated by the water

where's the atf dipstick :oops: :oops:

Its the orange dipstick just below and to the left of the battery when viewed from the front of the car.

Pete

wobbly said:
Its the orange dipstick just below and to the left of the battery when viewed from the front of the car.

Pete

right ... think i know where that is ....... ...

Seems to be ok at the mo Pete,

engine gets up to normal running temp quicker than it did before. ... and the heaters are blowing hot air rater than just warm air.
haven't bypassed the rear heater yet, but i will do soon

Cheers Carl

Hi Carl

Good result then.

I test my truck on Halden Hill - right towards Newton Abbott - from where the road splits at the bottom, go up the hill, pretty much flat out you should be doing 48mph in 3rd and no sign of overheating, i dont do the a380 side as its not as steep but is a lot longer so speed tends to drop off!

Cheers

Pete

wobbly said:
Hi Carl

Good result then.

I test my truck on Halden Hill - right towards Newton Abbott - from where the road splits at the bottom, go up the hill, pretty much flat out you should be doing 48mph in 3rd and no sign of overheating, i dont do the a380 side as its not as steep but is a lot longer so speed tends to drop off!

Cheers

Pete

i know that hill very well Pete ... it's "Telegraph hill" ... the other side is Haldon hill (A38 Devon Expressway) goes past Exeter race course ...
not a hells chance of getting 48mph up there ...ours is down to 27mph by the time you get to the layby half way up

our 78 is booked in for a good service for Tuesday ...will see if it's any better after that

you use that hill to test yours .... you must be close to there then ...... we're about 1/2 a mile from penn inn roundabout

You're right about the name - I lived in Dartmouth so always came up from the Newton Abbott end first, thats why I call it Halden Hill.

I live in Somerset now, but in-laws still live in Dartmouth, so am up and down regularily - I use a company in Kingsteignton to rebuild pool pumps, and of course....the Magic Kingdom of Trago :cool:

When its being serviced ask them to check the operation of the water pump , must be a reason why the previous owner dismantled the stat - it was obviously overheating and they've done that as a quick fix bodge (my truck had exactly the same bodge - mechanic found the water pump wasnt working properly).

Pete

Ahha yess ... the kingdom known as Trago :lol:

thanks for that tip .. i will ask them to check the water pump as well

Back