Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Paranoid about injector seals.

I think at 40k miles I would be less inclined or worried about it, but at 250k I think I would get them done.

My injector seals have now been replaced. Parts replaced and part numbers are as follows:-

96721 - 19017 SealX4 £2.25each
11176 - 30011 Seat Injection NozzleX4 £2.44each
90904 - 30013 GasketX5 £5.78each
23256 - 30010 Ring, Fuel Injector Back-UpX4 £3.50each

The whole job including parts, labour, and VAT came to £229.99. I am pretty pleased with the result. I just have to wait for the new tailgate to be delivered then it will be back to the dealer for fitting.

Here are a couple of photos. One is obviously the copper seals that were removed. They are actually in pretty good nick. The slight blackmarks are merely gunge. It is obviously a mystery as to why some seals fail and others don't. Anyway, I now have peace of mind as I plan to be keeping this cruiser for a good number of years. The other photo is a printout from the parts catalogue which the friendly parts guy let me have. If anyone would like a photocopy just pm me with your address and I'll be happy to oblige.
cars020.jpg

cars014.jpg

Hi Hutton,

Thanks for the good photos, and the diagram.

£230 well spent I hear you say.

Graham

You're welcome Graham, and yes, I would say that it is £230 well spent. :D

Thanks for the part numbers and photos.

Does anyone have any thoughts on having the injectors ultrasonicly cleaned and flushed. I just wondering if it's worth having them done while they are out.

Hutton said:
You're welcome Graham, and yes, I would say that it is £230 well spent. :D

I've just got a quote from a Lodon Toyota... £95 an hour + VAT = £456 :o :sick:
That's excluding parts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
I've just got a quote from a Lodon Toyota... £95 an hour + VAT = £456 :o :sick:
That's excluding parts.

And they say that the Scots are mean! :)

Seriously, it seems weird that the same job can cost so much more in another dealership. The only way that costs should be so different is if your dealer is going to do something in addition to the simple replacement of the seals. I can't imagine however what would cause such a difference in price.

Crispin, you're very welcome to come for a break and get your seals changed in Whiskyland!

"Seriously, it seems weird that the same job can cost so much more in another dealership"

it must be the labour rates.

I got quoted £650 for a full-service for our subaru forester by the Aberdeen dealer about 5-6yrs ago.
so took it down to Forfar and got same service done by the main subaru dealer there for over £250 less.
it was worth the extra fuel costs. this cost difference was mainly due to labour rates.

now I do the servicing of the subaru (and LC) myself

The Difference in price, could be the cost of replacing the high pressure pipes as should have been done be for safety..

Nope, this excludes the pipe and seals (which I have already paid for ±£25 IIRC) Pipes are £25 excl each...

Think I just need to say f-it and do it myself. What could go wrong :whistle: :whistle:

Actually, maybe a road trip is an idea :violin:

On a six pot 80 series 12v 1HD the job of changing injector seals took me 25 mins from start to finish

An hours labour max for a less competent mechanic on a four pot 1KZ I'd suggest. Unless you have to take something else apart to get them out?

Just a quick question,

Do the injector seals on a 2002 D4D need to be changed or are they different :think:

Sorry for hijacking post :thumbup:

I think it took me around 30 minutes to get to the injectors. The plastic covers, intercooler, and bits of loom are all in the way. This is where I got stuck. The fuel lines onto the injectors could not be undone. It's a large ali nut with the pipe coming out the middle so a ring spanner is not able and a slotted ring spanner just splits open and slips ( :doh: ) rounding the head. Once that is done then it would be the rocker cover off and injectors out. Guessing you could get them out in under an hour if you were better than I :oops:

As for replacing, cleaning and putting back, around the same I would guess.
The 80 injectors are outside of the engine aren't they? The 120 has them drowned in oil.

GP -
They apparently changed from copper (bad) to Ali (good) around 04/05 if memory serves. Mine is a 53 (jan '04).
Do they have to be changed? Hutton has proved they do not always, and in fairness, probably most often not, need changing.

hmmm thanks!, case of beers to follow :thumbup:

Will organise pipes.

Hi all,
Have a 207 Prado. Ran into trouble when starting it and a god awful sound could be heard followed by a big cloud of white exhaust smoke. Gave me a heart attack as its been well maintained at Toyota dealers and had 90k kms on the odom. Happened intermittently from then a few times over the next month. Dealer said not a major concern if its white smoke. A month of two later I had parked my car for a few hours (again a downhill slope) and upon starting it up had the same problem as the first instance.

So I investigated it and it lead me on the path of injectors and seals. Took it to a different Australian Toyota dealer and they replaced the seals with the aluminium ones. They took pictures of the four injectors and clean up no.1 injector as it was covered in oil etc.

Cost me $470 Australian. They said its up to the owner at every valve clearance check (40km) to advise the dealer if I wanted them to inspect the seals again (at a cost of course :))

Advice to all Prado owners in the affected time range. Get your injectors/seals checked! Otherwise haven't had any other troubles with it.

Paul

Don't think smoke us a symptom of the seals. Yours sounds like the injector was dripping diesel into the cylinder when off. The "seal problem" us the deals stopping the compression and combustion gasses coming out into the head cover.
Would leaky engine oil dripping back in not make blue smoke?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My Landcruisers seals were done under warranty including taking the sump off, new oil strainer, oil & filters etc before i bought it.

Done at approx 57,000 miles in 2012

Last edited:
Back