Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Parking problems

Looks Stonking Shayne. And surprisingly small next to the 90. Will it be an overlander or true offroader? Shouldbe handier for longer trips without a trailer

Looks great btw. My favourite colour. You'll appreciate the extra bulk on long journeys.

I've clearly missed something here, but it would appear that Helen has had an early Christmas prezzie. Though I can't say the photos do it justice. A link to the thread you 'hijacked' might help Shayne :)

I had no intention of posting it up while its still in its stock state Rich because i need an exhaust and mentioned it on a recent turbo swap thread i let the cat out of the bag so to speak .

As said there's no specific plans for this one and i will just see how it evolves , numb fingers (cold) have killed my enthusiasm for messing with the trucks of late so everything is on the back burner .

Like as not it will just be a heavier version of my truck , she told me she needed the extra seats so she could take all the kids out but twice already she managed to fill those seats with her drinking buddies and promoted me to taxi driver :icon-rolleyes:

For me without a lift and much bigger tyres it simply has no road presence . It also feels too heavy but i'm inclined to think that is a plus and a negative in equal measure . It doesn't notice 8 rather heavy adults on board at all and drives just the same as it does with empty passenger seats ....... but ...... it wouldn't get any faster at doing what it does if i stripped out all but the essential weight .

As time goes on i guess i will start looking at the turbo which needs to get busy at much lower revs , its not more power it needs so much as earlier access to it me thinks :think: i don't know i've never really paid much attention to the 80 series threads so i guess i have a lot to learn and i need to do a lot more miles before i get a feel for things and what it needs .

Can't reset the timing belt light , i think the button is broke , it does have a new belt , and the glow plug dash light stays on , but i'm sure i can find the answer to both problems on the web somewhere when the weather and my enthusiasm for fettling improves .

And no Nick my best truck won't sacrifice nothing for this newcomer :eusa-naughty:

Well then, now the cats out the bag, how about telling us how/where you got it, etc. And while you're at it let's have those photos. :). From what I can see it looks nice, late, 24 valve and, well, black (of course!).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
97 UK spec manual Amazon 24 valve in the right colour , i've known about it for a few years and it says something about the condition of the truck that the previous two owners were to scared to drive it in case they got it dirty :o :wtf: :laughing-rolling:

…it says something about the condition of the truck that the previous two owners were to scared to drive it in case they got it dirty :o :wtf: :laughing-rolling:
Ahh, that explains why Helen doesn't like it then. It's most probably in dire need of an Italian tune up and sluggish as anything. Mine was after 9 years of pootling round Fukushima! A month of heavy right foot Wynns Eco Diesel and it was much improved. It's been even better since the long blast to Romania and back. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Shayne the cats out the bag lol .......Looks like a nice addiction to the family certainly a different beast then that you may be used to.

It definitely needs a good motorway thrashing Rich but i think i will pull the intake apart and remove what crude i can before i do that .

It's not so different Dervis , if i put 4 large adults in the D4D 90 it actually drives very similar to the 80 but neither have the urgency of my truck , its hard to explain - its almost a 2-stoke V 4-stroke comparison . If i sling the 80 about like i do mine it just accepts it whereas my 90 actually revels in it you can almost feel it grinning :lol:

I don't think the 80 is down on power , if i watch the speedo it might well be on par with mine but the speedo never interested me much , for me its all about how it delivers that power and instant throttle response is the key to that , a big ask of a 3 tonne truck .

The 24v isn't quite as responsive off the mark as the 12v to be fair. First time I drove one I thought it was broken. At lower revs it feels a bit held back, but if you actually press the pedal a bit more it does go. Having had the 12 and 24 at the same time, it was often like driving two completely different vehicles. Torque from both engines is huge across the range though. It's pick up that's slightly different and of course the 12v's were usually mated to that excellent auto box.

In terms of tyres for that beefy look, it's not necessary to go that large. Changing the off set or fitting spacers does seem to fill the arches much better. You can go to 35" without re gearing the diff as it's a manual. I run 315 x 17 on mine. But if you try 315 x 16 it has the effect of making the tyre look like a massive donut.

Yeah dreaming 37's but reality bites because whatever else it becomes it will still be a daily driver so i've a reasonably firm idea of where i'm going with wheels and tyres .

Truth is i can't find much enthusiasm for anything of late , the windows are slow and i have Ballistol sat on the table in front of me - its been there unused for a fortnight . I need to look at lowering the brake pedal to suit me and there's a squealing belt when its cold which wasn't cured by tightening . Under the hood could do with a tidy up removing and painting a few rusty brackets and the like . It will all get done because the truck is most definitely a keeper and i'm not disappointed at all , i just don't want to go at this one with a half arsed "it will do for now" approach .
Parking is a problem and there's a bit of a race on within the family over who takes the D4D home which is unlikely to be won until next year but that suits my mindset , the last thing i need is Rudolf running off with my tools so yeah next year sounds good .

On the Windows Shayne, They all run slow. Ballistol isn't the answer, I've tried it. New rubbers help but are only half the job. @Chris discovered that Milners window motors and mech solve the problem. I dare say a search in the 80 section will show up the thread.

I've got a darn great tin of Ballistol on the shelf in my garage. Can't think what to use it on as it pongs so much!! :? My advice would be don't bother with it, get on Amayama for a start and Milners when you're ready. Rubbers are about £30 each plus import and shipping.

Just make sure you save some money for a set of gullwings. :whistle:

+1 on the Milners motors, the last one I did it was cheaper to buy the smaller motor complete with window mech than the larger motor alone. Not a big job to do either and the window fair whooses up and down afterwards.

I'd steer you away from 37's Shayne. Having had them. Fine for an out and out dirt machine, but just add too many negatives on a daily driver. You'd need to re gear with auto diffs really. You'd lose quite a bit of power. 37's are also tremendously heavy and takes some stopping. I used to get through a set of front pads every 1000 miles.

Yeah dreaming 37's but reality bites because whatever else it becomes it will still be a daily driver so i've a reasonably firm idea of where i'm going with wheels and tyres .

Truth is i can't find much enthusiasm for anything of late , the windows are slow and i have Ballistol sat on the table in front of me - its been there unused for a fortnight . I need to look at lowering the brake pedal to suit me and there's a squealing belt when its cold which wasn't cured by tightening . Under the hood could do with a tidy up removing and painting a few rusty brackets and the like . It will all get done because the truck is most definitely a keeper and i'm not disappointed at all , i just don't want to go at this one with a half arsed "it will do for now" approach .
Parking is a problem and there's a bit of a race on within the family over who takes the D4D home which is unlikely to be won until next year but that suits my mindset , the last thing i need is Rudolf running off with my tools so yeah next year sounds good .
Youll feel different when the suns on your back come spring..

Give the boost compensator a tweak to get more low down response.

The Ballistol is the "it'll do" i want to avoid , and you got it Chris that's exactly the reality that bites . And your bang on the money too Chapel my income and my pastime are both weather dependent and with not much i can do about either at this time of year i've just kinda gone to ground . Roll on next year when i can enjoy putting my stamp on the truck , and i will enjoy it ;)

Krown coating should buy me some time and i hope save me some time when i start working on the 80 as it reminds me of a sort of industrial WD-40 which might save some snapped bolts . Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries to show the end result :doh:

DSCF2719.JPG
DSCF2720.JPG
DSCF2721.JPG
DSCF2722.JPG
DSCF2723.JPG
DSCF2724.JPG
DSCF2725.JPG

That was hardly rusty to begin with Shayne! :tearsofjoy:

Aye well there's nothing under there that a wire brush wouldn't sort and inspecting the body we could find only a little surface rust under a front indicator and a pea sized hole behind a rear mudflap . So to de-rust and paint can just add a couple of hours as and when thing's need attention .

I'm looking at this suspension because i can't find a 4" alternative

http://www.pedders.co.uk/4-inch-lif...ser-80-series-abs-fitted-models_p24719388.htm

And i'm wondering about the caster correction plates i've seen mentioned on the forum , would that mean i don't need the correction bushes included ?

Back