Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

I saw a Nissan Navara painted in something similar the other day, At first i thought it was just badly painted with a Emulsion long Pile Roller..It was Matt Black.. Looked like you could hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't Chip... Like i said in a PM to you. I wish i was brave enough to hand paint my 80 in Total sea salt Immersion Marine paint.... Last forever!...... Depends if you want Buffed up shiny or Toughness....... Getting it wrapped is an option. They are tougher than you would think and a lot of folk are doing it now...

I painted a Baja beetle with that stuff once, self leveling, looked like glass when it dried and we litterally chucked stones at it to see what would happen, nothing, not a scratch, put it on with a roller and some brushes too.

Hey guys still struggling to get the above... Anyone able to help? Is there another part of the forum where it'd make sense to post this too? Any breakers anyone can recommend? Would Toyota likely still be able to supply the parts?

If someone can tell me if removing the aircon will affect the running of my engine or not (like in some Mitsubishi's) and the answer is 100% it wont affect it at all, then you can have the lot off me when I remove it.

Crushed my 1kz-te aircon condenser and continued with the trip to adding about 3000 miles no problem at all .

Having air con on affects fuel consuption when on so it saps around 4 ish hp and you will have to get a smaller belt but saying that atleast wait until the forcast heat wave is over then make up your mind if you want Betty Swallocks

Yah, it's more likely to be a problem within the electronics/electrics rather than the physical components. I'm crap at auto electrics but looking at the spaghetti diagram I noticed the idle up function is shared by both the aircon and the engine running so there's a possibility the computerator will run a check on whatever switch/sensor to do with the aircon/idle up and go "doh" I think it's the v6 GDI shogun, if the aircon is Kaput the engine either wont run or runs like a dog. Or maybe that is just intermyths. Either way some afirmative or negative answer is required before I rip it all out so I can move the alternator up to the compressors location.

Upon that confirmation of it's impending redundancy you can have whatever you want from the pile of crap I pull out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm thinking thats a 1KD 90 your talking about otherwise known as the D4D ?

I can't be sure Matt but my 2001 90 has idle up , aircon and the 1KD engine which is much more complicated than the 1KZ because of electrics .

What works for one won't work for another so maybe you should post up a pic and we will know at a glance which engine you have

AC on the KZ can be removed with no detriment to my knowledge. You won’t need a smaller belt because the AC belt is entirely separate to the alternator.

mines been disconnected for year as I find I don’t need it even in the Sahara at 35+ degrees. Keep toying with converting the compressor to inflate the tyres though

I can't be sure Matt but my 2001 90 has idle up , aircon and the 1KD engine which is much more complicated than the 1KZ because of electrics .

What works for one won't work for another so maybe you should post up a pic and we will know at a glance which engine you have

It's a KZJ-TE

AC on the KZ can be removed with no detriment to my knowledge. You won’t need a smaller belt because the AC belt is entirely separate to the alternator.

mines been disconnected for year as I find I don’t need it even in the Sahara at 35+ degrees. Keep toying with converting the compressor to inflate the tyres though

Disconnected Electrically or physically you both?
Yeah dude I'm from Australia and why cars have AC in the UK baffles me, either way people crank it up and it feels like the arctic to me. Such an odd concept, moan that the summers are garbage here, then when summer actually turns up crank the AC up to "Siberian Winter" setting, lol

Disconnected Electrically or physically you both?
Yeah dude I'm from Australia and why cars have AC in the UK baffles me, either way people crank it up and it feels like the arctic to me. Such an odd concept, moan that the summers are garbage here, then when summer actually turns up crank the AC up to "Siberian Winter" setting, lol
Why? Because anything over 25c is far too hot!
We also have something called traffic in the UK. Sitting in that at such balmy temperatures is no fun at all...

Umm anyway if you'd like a thread about pros and cons of aircon @Matt Vee could you go and start one?

Now... Back to the build!

N/S upper arm and steering knuckle out... Lower arm ready to come out when steering rack comes off which will be after I get the other side disassembled.

Decided if I'm doing this truck I'm doing it so new steering rack it is.

So that meant I chopped track rod end off with grinder as putting in new track rods along with new steering rack along with new ball joints and new arms... Only but joy being replaced is steering knuckle albeit the wheel bearing will be done.

Tomorrow evening do the o/s then Thursday steering rack. Hopefully by then josh will have done polly bushes in arms so those can go back in.. Then push upper ball joints out of knuckles along with hubs.. New balls in.. New wheel bearings in.. And as the book of lies says... refitting is the reverse of removal!

Also means the pedders/monroe shocks and springs can go in.

Awesome.

IMG_20190723_202255.jpg IMG_20190723_202258__01.jpg

Surely it makes sense to clean up and paint what you can see before you bolt it all back together . I did a half assed job on the mrs 90 just because i had the shocks out but because i used zinga theres no rust to be seen maybe 2 years later even if i did go over it in cheap thin black paint .

Surely it makes sense to clean up and paint what you can see before you bolt it all back together . I did a half assed job on the mrs 90 just because i had the shocks out but because i used zinga theres no rust to be seen maybe 2 years later even if i did go over it in cheap thin black paint .
You're right mate and I should've said that was next on the list before it goes back in. Need to order some raptor paint.

Why? Because anything over 25c is far too hot!
We also have something called traffic in the UK. Sitting in that at such balmy temperatures is no fun at all...

I'm in the UK atm dude the traffic horror is real but still can't stand AC. Heating in winter , now I love that stuff, lol.

Umm anyway if you'd like a thread about pros and cons of aircon @Matt Vee could you go and start one?

Now... Back to the build!

Dude if you read my posts, you'll find I am offering you my complete air conditioning system if that question can be answered, so it is on topic for your thread.

Back