Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees 2011, 27/05-05/06, planning

Tuesday morning Eric and Louise found us a great place to stop for cheap fuel, shopping, coffee and pastries in Sant Julia de Loria, much emptying of the wildsmith wallet took place here securing [strike:31pd9h2a]bribes[/strike:31pd9h2a] prezzies to take home :roll:

IMG_2067.JPG

Did I mention the climbs?

IMG_2069.JPG

Got back at 20:30 yesterday after covering just under 2300 miles in total. A brilliant trip, halinka and I really enjoyed it. Thank you Jon for organising such a great trip and Gav thanks for those roundabout tours.

Pics will follow soonish, need to sort through them and post the best ones.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Later in the day (Tuesday still) we found a nice place to stop

IMG_2080.JPG

so Gary could have his birthday lunch

IMG_2083.JPG

and later passed through the remote village of Lletto. I can't remember if this was abandoned or the one with the solar panels Gav?

IMG_2095.JPG

and had some fun with a little washed out section

IMG_2125.JPG

Thank you, thank you, thank you for these wonderful photo's, Jon! I can see you now, on top of a mountain and bursting into song......."The hills are alive with the sound of Land Cruisers".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come back safe now.

John and Sharon

The Dudes

I'll sort through the photos and put some up as well.

Regarding the price of diesel, it was in the region of E1.38 to E1.42 a litre in France (motorway), E1.28 in Spain and a cool E1.08 in Andorra. With the rate of exchange (E1 practically equal to £1) as it is, the price in France is pretty much the same as it here.

Unleaded was more expensive throughout and lpg iirc was in the region of 90 cents a litre.

We wild camped on Tuesday night except for Eric and Louise who went on to a hotel in the next town

IMG_2156.JPG

the road out on Wednesday morning was twisty, we did lots of zig zagging all week

IMG_2159.JPG

this track had some traffic but plenty of passing places

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There were a few washed out sections to make us pay attention but nothing tricky

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

We took a 5 minute walk to the view point mentioned in the road book which gives some pretty impressive views, I think Gary has some fancy panoramic pictures of that? Who's this, I think he's an imposter because his passport picture shows someone completely different :mrgreen:

IMG_2213.JPG

I don't recall there being much mud but we were like children with a new toy when we did find some :)

IMG_2214.JPG

Which arrived here first, the rock or the trees?

IMG_2217.JPG

Water, got to splash it apparently with no encouragement from me :liar:

IMG_2219.JPG

Wednesday came to a premature end due to road closures but we ended up at a really nice camp site with a pool that apparently wasn't too cold

IMG_2227.JPG

on to Thursday and I remembered to get a pic of these funny gates we'd been encountering all week. We can't work out how they keep stock in because you just drive through them and surely a cow can figure out to just walk through ...

IMG_2234.JPG

along one of the tracks we found out what / how the log piles we'd seen are made

IMG_2238.JPG

On to Friday, a nice little overgrown track we nearly missed so don't take any shortcuts Andy ;)

IMG_2242.JPG

This was a nice picnic spot off the track

IMG_2243.JPG

Nice little ford

IMG_2253.JPG

and another

IMG_2265.JPG

Nearly at the sea

IMG_2276.JPG

I'll make an album for the rest and post a link but that's about it from me, over to the others :thumbup: I logged 4058km door to door but we had an expected diversion on the way down to Dover and an unwanted traffic induced one on the way back from Dover :roll:

Great pics.

Really looks like a trip that has to be done at some point :thumbup:

photos getting better and better!
some tricky bits, but look no worse than the "old post road"/"happy valley"

some of those ford crossings look long, did you spec them out first or just go for it!

quite a variety of terrain covered too.

Not sure i will spend 3 nights in Andorra though, looks more developed that i expected.
will prob have 2 non-driving days on the trip, to do some mountain biking, one on RB1 and another on RB2 - so if there were any nicer campsites worth stopping at for 2 nights let me know.

Nice trip, beautiful country views!
Haven't been in these places yet, those pictures surely woke some appetite to go there and drive some of the routes.
:thumbup:

Bless you Gary! This has really made my day, seeing these wonderful pictures (and as a professional photographer I have to give credit where credit is due). What really impresses me is that you don't have to do much modifications on a standard Land Cruiser to make it expedition ready. A snorkel
and a decent set of tyres and lots of money for the B&B's and a successful Euro tour could be had by all. Maybe that's a bit simplistic but it's reassuring to know that it's at least within my reach.

John

The Dark Dude

Back