Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question about LC 100 4.2 TD

vencel

Country Flag
hungary
Hello,

I am very new to the forum, but I decided to buy a Land Cruiser 100 Executive.
I would like to ask for some information and advice.

I looked on used models and found one which was manufactured in 2004. It is already the facelift model with 5-gear automatic transmission, but it still has the DIFF. LOCK switch on the dashboard (to the left of the steering wheel on a LFD version).

I've read on the internet that Toyota uses VSC in all LC models from 2000, but seller claims it does not have it, but it has a 100% differential which is better than VSC.

I also checked VSC on the net and it seems that VSC is very useful when driving on road and 100% diff. lock is useful on terrain, so the 2 things are not meant for the same.

I would really appreciate if anybody could give me some information if this car should be equipped with VSC or not, or how can I check its existence in the car?

Do you find the VSC necessary in case the car is mostly driven on road? Do you find the 10% diff. lock option better than VSC?

Thank you!
László

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is a European version 100.

One more question: how it is possible to check if the automatic transmission has 4 or 5 gears?

Thanks!

2004 diesel 100 series did not come with VSC. VSC is Skid Control, and designed to take over when you can't cope yourselves. Diff lock is for regaining/keeping traction. You still need either diff.lock or Atrack even if you have VSC.

The 5 speed box has a gated shifter (moving right/left as well as forward backward), while the 4-sp box has a shifter that moves only in a straight line.

Thanks a lot for your answer!!!
Can you perhaps tell me from which year LC 100 was equipped with VSC by default?
Is VSC a must have nowadays?
Which is better, Diff.Lock or Atrack?

Thanks!
László

2004 diesel 100 series did not come with VSC. VSC is Skid Control, and designed to take over when you can't cope yourselves. Diff lock is for regaining/keeping traction. You still need either diff.lock or Atrack even if you have VSC.

The 5 speed box has a gated shifter (moving right/left as well as forward backward), while the 4-sp box has a shifter that moves only in a straight line.

Maybe one more question: in the ads I mostly see "Executive" as model name, but here on the forum I mostly see "VX". Are these the same?

Back