Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear main crank shaft seal. Gear box out?

Nothing wrong with Blue Print. They do a very useful catalogue for most automotive service parts.

Roger

What's the latest Martin, all sorted?

At last its now all sorted. That box is very heavy. Never do i want to touch that again. Went for a little drive tonight and it feels great. The clutch feels really nice and the now with new oil in the gear box it also feels nice and smooth.
hears a few picks, boring to some but hear goes.

C27D0EFE-F5FB-47BC-99C6-98365788494D-2214-0000039B3EFF5B1B.jpg

very leaky
771967F4-1ED5-4DD8-8C60-2B02E3039CA2-2214-0000039B6182E86D.jpg

rusty old clutch
E376E209-C339-47C6-A992-042662CD8734-2214-0000039B851BE38B.jpg

new fitted clutch
640E54C7-4F29-4015-8991-F176D2FC1548-300-00000040BB9C06D6.jpg

off to a pay and play day this weekend so lets see how it goes

I don't want to upset anyone here but the end of the c/shaft does not appear to have an input shaft support bush/bearing.

Should it have?

Roger

Very well noticed, put it this way, it did not have one before. Impressed someone saw that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As you said Martin, that is a very heavy and badly balanced, g and t box combination, and I wouldn't want to think you were going to have to do the job again. Had the old bearing broken up? That'a either rust from a shattered needle bearing, or phosphor bronze from a solid bush.

Roger

As far as im aware it didn't have one, there wasn't one in there when i Removed the old clutch and there was no sing of any small bits of mettle that may of broke up. Are you telling me that I may of missed it and the little pesky bearing jumped out onto the workshop floor in the middle of the night? I have had this sort of thing in the past, little bit like a ditch jumping out in front of me when I was 17, and a little bit like life today, little pixies come in wile I'm at work and do all the washing and cleaning. Put it this way if I have made yet again another fuck up I'm not going to do that job again in a hurry, and if I do then it's only when I'm fitting a huge V8 hummer Diesel engine. Lol*

The shaft that transmits the power from the engine into the g/box via the clutch is called the input or first motion shaft. This is the shaft you see sticking out of the front of the g/box inside the bell housing. It has splines at the engine end that mate with the driven plate of the clutch. This shaft is supported inside the g/box by a bearing but it needs another bearing to support it at the engine end. This bearing fits inside the recess in the end of the c/shaft. It's called a spigot bearing and can be either phosphor bronze, needle roller or a sealed ball race.

You need info. from someone who has the 2.4 litre engine and who has done a clutch job on it.

Roger

Not done it myself (yet!) but according to ToyoDIY the clutch is the same in both LJ70 and KZJ70. Looks like you are missing a bearing Martin :doh::

clutch.jpg

Martin.

Without the bearing, the input shaft is not properly supported. This will, initially create an imbalance that will progressively get worse. Ultimately the vibration will destroy the driven plate and or the g/box.

I know it's going to be a pain in the a**se, but you need to fit a new bearing>

Roger

:shock: oh dear chaps thats not good news. thats not good news. im 95% sure it didn't have one when i removed it, but i guess i should look on the floor.

Back