Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RJ70 Build Thread.

So engine wise will you get it all running nicely while it's in the car and do a straight transfer or will you take it out of the car and have it running on the ground before putting it RJ and tune it when you have the transfer finished?

I'm thinking I'd like to careful remove the engine with the complete wiring loom, get it on a stand in my garage and then slowly start removing bits I don't need and get it wired up out of the car.
It would be nice if I didn't have to do too much electrical work once it's fitted. :think:

It's going to be a bit of a learning curve but I've got plenty of time to do this project in so I won't have to rush it and there is heaps of information out there about how to do it, so I'm confident I can do it. :icon-biggrin:

I need the guy to come and pick up the old engine I've sold though first as I need the space for the new engine.

I'm saving up for the adaptor kit now and will probably go with the Marks Adaptors one at just under $2k.

Once the engine is in im going to buy a load of mandrel bent 2.5" stainless exhaust bends and tubing and design and build my own exhaust system. :icon-cool:

Then I'm thinking I want to get some 32 or 33" x 10.5 BFG all terrains for it and I might also drop the suspension back to standard height. :think:

I find this a little hard to believe. KZ-TE in standard trim puts out 97kW, 287N.m. The 1UZ puts out 191Kw, 353n.m. If your KZ-TE is "leaving them for dead in a race" then they are not doubt very poor conversions that were done... Not to mention the fact that the 1UZ (pre 1994) is capable of being pushed well past the 500bhp range with a little FI love.

Ben, what year is the donor? I think you need a twin turbo setup...:smilingimp:

OK when reading over what I wrote it sounds over the top. To rephrase in a race my truck will beet them up to 100k . The lj70 has the 1uz mated to the cruiser box with 4.8 diffs and 33 inch tyres.
The surf with 1uz is mated to factory Lexus auto with surf transfer on the rear that has 4.3 diffs and 33inch tyres. Maybe it is how they are they set up but I just think the 1uz is slightly over rated. Anyway again good luck with the build Ben

Can't wait to see that engine roaring I RJ

Reactions: Ben
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Me either Andy! :icon-twisted: :thumbup:

Rear Bar/Bumper.

RJ came with a tube rear bar.

IMG_1694_zpsjooppg1q.jpg

IMG_1695_zpsini9ypdy.jpg

IMG_1696_zpss2fuefxt.jpg

It also came with a towbar.

IMG_1699_zpsovqzvz2l.jpg

IMG_1700_zpsipafz8sm.jpg

The rear bar mounted with mounts each side of the chassis rails, in the same position as the towbar.

IMG_1702_zpsxy5lewuj.jpg

I wanted both the rear bar and the towbar, so decided I would have to combine the 2.

Removed the rear bar.

IMG_1703_zpsakkb4oz5.jpg

IMG_1704_zps6czmdcrt.jpg

Got the towbar in position.

IMG_1705_zpsln4zcm85.jpg

IMG_1707_zps96esm4oc.jpg

Its obviously designed to fit around a standard rear bumper so was hanging very low and too far out the back of the car.

IMG_1708_zpszsfdfqfa.jpg

IMG_1711_zpsvfy8ru26.jpg

It was also designed to have the standard rear bumper mounting brackets between the chassis and it.

IMG_1712_zpskig2oezo.jpg

So I needed to modify the towbar.

Cut 2 of the brackets off.

IMG_1721_zpsivihrais.jpg

IMG_1722_zpsuhw2higx.jpg

To move the towbar up higher so it would sit snugly under the chassis cross member I needed to cut the towbar brackets down.

IMG_1723_zpsj2jcxed4.jpg

IMG_1724_zpsmze7zh1s.jpg

IMG_1725_zps80opkiev.jpg

After holding the towbar back up I decided I needed to cut these plates off the end of the tow bar and weld on my own.

Cut some 8mm plate and clamped 2 pieces together and got them clamped in position on the drill press.

IMG_2001_zps3axnrv9o.jpg

IMG_2002_zpsu0w6gvgk.jpg

76mm hole saw next.

IMG_2003_zpseceb9ihy.jpg

IMG_2004_zpsmhgkjnyo.jpg

A bit of trimming with the angle grinder.

IMG_2005_zpsbcqnz5qv.jpg

IMG_2006_zps7aiyx5lf.jpg

I now had the 2 chassis mounting plates.

IMG_2007_zpszlwcwaum.jpg

Bolted them on.

IMG_2008_zpslyk0xbww.jpg

IMG_2010_zpslf4iqi4r.jpg

Cut the old brackets off the towbar and got it in position.

IMG_2013_zpsyk9bm6l0.jpg

IMG_2014_zpsrugyabfq.jpg

There was a slight 3mm gap between the towbar and brackets but that was good as it would allow me to get full root penetration with my TIG welds.

IMG_2016_zpsp0brmvyp.jpg

Tack welded the towbar to the brackets then took the whole thing off and got it on the bench to do my root pass.

IMG_2036_zps5pddz7d9.jpg

IMG_2037_zps92vwegks.jpg

I then got it bolted back on ready to mount the tube to it.

IMG_2038_zps9r3le11u.jpg

Took the tube rear bar outside and cut the 3mm plate off the ends.

IMG_2029_zpsqpz9qutb.jpg

IMG_2030_zps1hprcqay.jpg

IMG_2031_zpsde2acbdk.jpg

Fitted the tube rear bar to the mounts bolted to the chassis and tack welded it in place.

IMG_2039_zpsf98egtes.jpg

Then got it on the bench to fully weld it.

IMG_2040_zps0acqglp9.jpg

IMG_2041_zpsonw9xzax.jpg

IMG_2042_zpshiuepra5.jpg

IMG_2043_zpswhwpfdj4.jpg

Found a towing electrics socket, mounting bracket.

IMG_2046_zps5wzwl8zm.jpg

Cut and bent it.

IMG_2048_zpsub8olahr.jpg

Welded it to the towbar.

IMG_2049_zpschfd583i.jpg

Mounted the bar back on the car.

IMG_2051_zpsutp77udi.jpg

IMG_2052_zps6cf3beqg.jpg

IMG_2054_zpspqk3xmk8.jpg

A piece of folded checker plate came with the car for the rear bar which fills the gap nicely between the rear bar and the back of the car.

I will either power coat it black and bolt it on or get a piece of 2mm steel checker plate and weld that on instead. :think:

IMG_2055_zpsgi6zy61g.jpg

IMG_2056_zpso2bivbgz.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsupns8m18.jpg

Back to work.....................

I needed to weld the towbar rear mounts on next.

IMG_2064_zpsjyj0zngh.jpg

Bolted in position.

IMG_2070_zps2nslgmza.jpg

IMG_2071_zpsiwydfkbt.jpg

Clamped them to the towbar.

IMG_2074_zpsaykqzeww.jpg

Tack welded them in position.

IMG_2075_zpsribxhisy.jpg

Then got the bar back on the bench to fully weld them.

IMG_2076_zpspjodioea.jpg

IMG_2077_zpstebcmmmc.jpg

IMG_2078_zpsbesfyrl6.jpg

IMG_2079_zpsy3usjbil.jpg

IMG_2080_zpsvybuclsy.jpg

I needed to put a second pass over the root welds that I did to attach the 8mm plates to the towbar.

Root pass.

IMG_2127_zpsoolgmhbl.jpg

IMG_2128_zpsbkrb2luj.jpg

Hot pass over the top.

IMG_2129_zpsqh6xvsch.jpg

IMG_2131_zpslexegjbv.jpg

Cut and drilled some 6mm plate.

IMG_2149_zps1o5u7k0w.jpg

IMG_2150_zpseb0ycq4j.jpg

Bolted to the chassis.

IMG_2151_zpss2eqkgnw.jpg

IMG_2152_zpsrdu9vbtd.jpg

Tack welded the bracket to the rear bar/towbar then removed it and got it on the bench to fully weld it.

IMG_2153_zpsm1ow0kuj.jpg

LED lights.

IMG_2126_zps0wcpcp2q.jpg

Cut, drilled and welded on some tabs for them.

IMG_2163_zpsx72mcvm5.jpg

IMG_2165_zpsykoflwz5.jpg

Lights bolted in place.

IMG_2166_zpsmndyhvhz.jpg

Rear bar back on the car.

IMG_2169_zpskpnvutel.jpg

IMG_2171_zps7q7vqhl8.jpg

IMG_2172_zpszqqkmocl.jpg

IMG_2173_zpsyb5yobij.jpg

The lights can be adjusted to shine on the tow hitch, trailer.

IMG_2174_zpshsmvdes7.jpg

Or turned out more to light up the sides of the track.

IMG_2175_zpsl96bgf24.jpg

The towbar will allow me to tow my trailer and motorbike.

IMG_2176_zpsvxefvfic.jpg

Or it can be used as a recovery point.

IMG_2177_zps2zf5yy1u.jpg

And thats the rear bar/towbar build so far. I will get the whole thing shot blasted and powdercoated once the new engine is in and running.

The new mirrors turned up.

IMG_2033_zpsgpbbcd7q.jpg

Ive had a bit of interest in parts from the engine donor Lexus and I really needed to get the boot open.

Tried everything but in the end a big crowbar and the trusty high lift jack saved the day.

IMG_2205_zpsritau7lz.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsklcm2g42.jpg

Found a 6th alloy wheel.

IMG_2207_zpsvqo2p5kg.jpg

And the original tool kit, first aid kit, valet kit and blanket.

IMG_2206_zpseox7fsuy.jpg

It would of been a really nice, high end car in its day. Shame its ended up getting abused so badly, but oh well. That engine should go great in my project RJ. :thumbup:

Are you going to run 7pin round on RJ then rather than 7pin flat?

Really liking that rear set-up lad. Don't usually like round bar bumpers but that just looks right. I've been trying to locate a rear tow bar like that for ages now. Actually I tried getting one for my hilux surf years ago bit couldn't find one. Any idea of a supplier in Ireland or UK by any chance?
I'd say if you made the likes of them as a nixer you'd clean up. Reading the different forms lads are complaining about the quality of bumpers etc these days and if you made them on an order basis in your own time you'd have que's going down the street

That's some really really good welding mate. Bumper looks great.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Going to fit the new heater matrix this morning and get the dash back in. :icon-biggrin:

The old 2lt got picked up yesterday so this week I will pull the Lexus lump out. :dance:

Hoping to finish modifying the bullbar this week then the rear bar and bull bar will be ready for shot blasting and powder coating. :icon-cool:

Finally found a source for the 4 horizontal switches I need for Winch Power, Winch In/Out, Driving Lights and Rear Lights. Found a company in the US of A who posts to Australia. :icon-biggrin:

Are you going to run 7pin round on RJ then rather than 7pin flat?

Yes, 7 pin round. :icon-wink:

Really liking that rear set-up lad. Don't usually like round bar bumpers but that just looks right. I've been trying to locate a rear tow bar like that for ages now. Actually I tried getting one for my hilux surf years ago bit couldn't find one. Any idea of a supplier in Ireland or UK by any chance?
I'd say if you made the likes of them as a nixer you'd clean up. Reading the different forms lads are complaining about the quality of bumpers etc these days and if you made them on an order basis in your own time you'd have que's going down the street

Thanks Doyle. :thumbup:

Not sure about a UK supplier I'm afraid. Very common over here though.
Now I'm not at Piranha anymore and dont have access to the correct size box section, I might buy one of these when I build/modify the new rear bar for LJ, which I touched on a bit in my last post on that thread. :think:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A-TOW-HI...053792?hash=item568be256a0:g:luEAAOSwqfNXlaI8

Hey Ben, I've just been catching up on your posts - coming along well! I got mine through the MOT with two small bits to weld for the rear seatbelts, everything else structurally is solid and the motor is running really well now.
I have to say your welds are perfect and absolutely put mine to shame! I tend to do little spot welds so the metal doesn't heat up, so they look pretty messy (my handy excuse!).

I have the 4 plug ECU, 16, 22, 28 & 34 pin. If you get stuck on any wiring I can have a look at mine, but it seems you are well on the way! I'd say spend some time on the motor before putting it in, I bought heat wrap for the exhaust manifolds but too tight to wrap them (factory heat shields are still there anyway) so I used the wrap from just above the O2 sensors on back past the external fuel pump and lines to give it a bit of safety from heat soak.

Good luck, will be following! Cheers, R

Thanks Rob. :thumbup:

Congrats on the MOT, that must be a relief. :clap:

Its hard to make pretty welds when welding rusty thin body work, but
so long as their solid you
can always grind them back before paint. :think:

Thanks mate, I will probably have heaps of questions for you soon. :shifty:

Engine will be coming out and going on a stand for a month or 2 and anywork that needs doing can be done then.

I will replace the sparkplugs and rebuild the power steering pump and investigate if the alternator is working properly and try and get all the electrics sorted before it goes in.

Are you running the standard manifolds and CAT's?

I rear an interesting theory on one of the facebook pages today regarding over fueling on the 1UZ. The guy was saying that he reckons that the length of wire from the ECU to the 02 sensors was critical and that when people aler that length they increase/decrease resistance and that can make the ECU think its running too lean and so it increases fueling. :think:

Hi Ben, Yes I was pretty nervous yesterday - I've spent a lot of money up to this point to have it badly fail an MOT!

I have standard exhaust manifolds, but the ends are chopped and new flanges are modified to fit 3" stainless duals merging into a Y pipe into a big single chamber silencer. It sounds awesome going through the gears!

The O2 sensors are in the original locations (one is set back about 10cm), but I did run jumper wires from the sensor wires at the ECU to try and clear codes 27,29 sub-O2 (the missing rear post-cat O2s). I'll get insurance on it this week hopefully, waiting to get paid, and will run it and see what kind of fuel economy I now get. Should be a great deal better than before! Hoping for 22-23mpg or 7.5 to 7.0 km/l at a slow cruise. Might be pleasantly surprised, who knows!

Last edited:
Meant to add I hear that running dual exhaust the whole way kinda kills the beauty of the 1UZFE. Running a Y pipe about 1/3rd to 1/2 way back to a single exit is the way to get that magic sound! I can try and get photos of my setup, the stainless exhaust system is probably the nicest thing underneath.

So with the old engine now gone and my garage now a bit emptier.

IMG_2214_zpssoi8ncij.jpg

I could start pulling the engine out of the Lexus.

I found the ECU.

IMG_2218_zpsfgykdjec.jpg

Judging by the writing on it its obviously not the original.

IMG_2219_zpspzziordl.jpg

IMG_2220_zpsrjx7wbzo.jpg

The dash took some getting out.

IMG_2221_zpsmk330au1.jpg

IMG_2222_zpse0e28kpn.jpg

I got it up on stands so I can start disconecting all the bits underneath.

IMG_2254_zpsbe9llear.jpg

I've also pulled the radiator and aircon condesor out.

IMG_2255_zpsyrty74ih.jpg

IMG_2256_zps2ns6pxis.jpg

The exhaust and CAT's are off. I would prefer not to refit the CAT's if possible. :think:

IMG_2258_zps9tfqmgim.jpg

I had some deliveries today! :dance:

The engine temp gauge turned up from China.

IMG_2266_zpsw68e3wl3.jpg

IMG_2267_zpslzvcfgun.jpg

IMG_2268_zpsymogtlmn.jpg

IMG_2269_zpsbfjv0pmb.jpg

It should fit quite nicely in the dash, just needs something to blank off above it.

IMG_2270_zpstjin149f.jpg

IMG_2271_zpssom5ktcf.jpg

IMG_2273_zpsgo5pqv3v.jpg

And the bits I ordered from ToJo also turned up today.

IMG_2262_zpssrcusmab.jpg

New striker plates to bolt to the B pillars as the ones on RJ were rusty.

IMG_2264_zpsagromwdr.jpg

New window winders as RJ's were worn out.

IMG_2265_zps4uzdszhn.jpg

And these finish covers, which I didnt think I would be able to find anywhere until I found them by chance on the ToJo website.

IMG_2263_zpsobo1xqo4.jpg

According to the Owners Manual the finishing covers would have been supplied in the glovebox of all soft top 70's, but of course most would have been lost long ago, I imagine most owners wouldnt have had a clue what they are for. :think:

They are there to cover the gap that is left when the tops of the doors are unbolted. :cool:

Heres what the manaul says.

OM1_zpsra9sqcuh.jpg

OM2_zpsffmuhyrh.jpg

OM3_zpswhqq0gn5.jpg

OM4_zps6ckuysaa.jpg

OM5_zpsbjzjcrtd.jpg

OM6_zpsblvdzdwr.jpg

OM7_zps4d6u8j7m.jpg

OM8_zps9i1qzjwt.jpg

OM8.1_zpskrgmduky.jpg

OM9.1_zpsd777wf0v.jpg

OM9.2_zpshpksvb4r.jpg

I do have the original rear windows off RJ, although I will probably never fit them and luckily they already have the cover pieces on the rear doors covering the holes.

IMG_9730_zpsthatebpo.jpg

IMG_9731_zpsmonibcj1.jpg

IMG_9732_zpsfkt3wmba.jpg

I also have an original soft top frame, although like the windows its been badly attacked by tin worm. :thumbdown:

IMG_9758_zpsrju28quc.jpg

IMG_9759_zpsxtpcgmwq.jpg

IMG_9760_zpsz8bzqc1r.jpg

I removed the tops of the front doors and the pieces that connect the A pillar and B pillars a few months ago so I could see how it all comes apart and what it looks like with the screen folded down.

So first I unbolted these bits which are held on with 4 x M6 bolts.

IMG_9805_zpscmrqsdwh.jpg

IMG_9807_zpsmbze14li.jpg

IMG_9809_zpswjurvybi.jpg

Then I could remove the 2 x bolts holding the screen in place.

IMG_9810_zpsu7jcjjzt.jpg

IMG_9811_zpszfwcioeu.jpg

And fold the screen down.

IMG_9812_zpslasbjmas.jpg

IMG_9813_zpszsantxrq.jpg

IMG_9814_zpsiwdjk0ak.jpg

Underneath the screen on the driverside is a little push switch that turns the power off to the special double pivot windscreen wipers, when the screen is folded down.

IMG_9816_zpsaqjpepdi.jpg

IMG_9817_zps1fedegru.jpg

So door tops next.

IMG_9820_zpsoe74kc1x.jpg

Some of the rubber bungs are visible but the correct door trims arnt fitted so not all of the bolts can be accessed easily unfortunatly.

IMG_9821_zpsvlcqoyvt.jpg

IMG_9822_zpsxg16ubni.jpg

IMG_9823_zpsfbeflgmh.jpg

IMG_9825_zpsgzaaieap.jpg

With the bolts removed the tops of the doors pull up and off.

IMG_9826_zpstw5tfiny.jpg

One bolt holds the end of the rubber seal in position.

IMG_9827_zps3frtvvzw.jpg

And the door top comes off.

IMG_9828_zpsobqg5wsk.jpg

IMG_9829_zpsnkbkmtnk.jpg

IMG_9830_zpsm0xbsttr.jpg

IMG_9831_zpspkgsvpfq.jpg

IMG_9834_zpsnnkcsycr.jpg

My plan is to keep RJ as a sunny weather car and keep the top off it all the time and keep it garaged when its not being driven.

I'm going to make a bikini top for it that will just cover the front 2 seats and that can be easily removed when we want to fold the screen down and remove the door tops. Something I'm keen to do when we take it beach driving! :cool:

Last edited:
Bullbar & Winch.

When I bought RJ it came as an unfinished project and the previous owner had started modifiying the non winch bullbar to fit a winch.

IMG_9738_zps70ibapyi.jpg

IMG_9741_zpsjvbh4or6.jpg

I like how the bullbar fits the front section of the body perfectly.

IMG_9739_zps7gbvzsic.jpg

IMG_9740_zpsvv6ipfvr.jpg

Its a nice solid bar and I believe it was an original genuine Toyota accesory and possibly made by ARB like all of Toyotas current genuine bullbars. :think:

I would need to finish modifiying it to take a winch though.

IMG_9741_zpsjvbh4or6.jpg

I also got a Superwinch with the project and this again was sold as a genuine Toyota accesory, although it would have been with a newer LandCruiser or Hi-Lux.

IMG_9742_zps3ifpojqq.jpg

IMG_9743_zpsugoowr2y.jpg

IMG_9744_zpsib7bmvuz.jpg

I decided to strip and rebuild the Superwinch.

IMG_0368_zpsp2kcaor8.jpg

Cleaned all the parts in petrol.

IMG_0370_zpsnpz3n9z6.jpg

IMG_0371_zpsjvt8dvr5.jpg

Found all the needle bearings were knackered.

IMG_0373_zpskivwvfcw.jpg

IMG_0374_zpscwwlmvzb.jpg

Pressed them all out in the vice with 2 sockets.

IMG_0375_zpskauc5xq2.jpg

IMG_0376_zpsigebga6p.jpg

IMG_0378_zpshtefvhtb.jpg

IMG_0379_zps1jmqoevq.jpg

Cleaned and painted the winch drum.

IMG_0380_zpsqgxui842.jpg

Stripped the motor down.

IMG_0381_zpsfduxzjd6.jpg

Cleaned and painted the end cap.

IMG_0383_zpsawzqqhrn.jpg

Cleaned all the motor parts and reassembled it.

IMG_0395_zpse8boqqod.jpg

IMG_0396_zpsm3yq52c8.jpg

IMG_0397_zpsoubzwpvp.jpg

IMG_0398_zpskqmxw7mq.jpg

IMG_0402_zpsmcazlv2e.jpg

Bolted the motor and drum back together.

IMG_0403_zps7imiam3t.jpg

IMG_0404_zpsa8t7oxw6.jpg

Gearbox next.

IMG_0405_zpscvas5dx0.jpg

New needle bearings.

IMG_0482_zpshbzmlmgb.jpg

IMG_0484_zpsxgedgljz.jpg

Pressed them in in the vice.

IMG_0485_zpsbhnl2fxe.jpg

Used plenty of marine grease as I rebuilt the gearbox.

IMG_0486_zpsxi8qcpvo.jpg

IMG_0487_zps5krd1cbx.jpg

IMG_0489_zpsn26cwnhw.jpg

IMG_0490_zpsh3xpbaqo.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsuojl9wyr.jpg

IMG_0492_zpsbnapb6jh.jpg

IMG_0493_zpsah5sqmuq.jpg

IMG_0494_zpsnjvlbfcz.jpg

IMG_0421_zpsvsmqva1v.jpg

I already had an old plasma rope spare and I picked up a hawse fairleed.

IMG_0422_zps23srouhj.jpg

Back to the bullbar.

IMG_0423_zpsv8jmf6jp.jpg

The previous owner had already cut in a window in the top to view what the rope is doing on the drum and had marked where he was going to put another cutout in for the free spool lever.

IMG_0424_zpsna01vssr.jpg

IMG_0425_zpsfp2jrep4.jpg

IMG_0426_zpsf5xd1f47.jpg

But it still needed the slot cutting behind the fairleedfor the rope to come through.

IMG_0427_zpsaj1jzjbk.jpg

Bullbar off and ready to begin the alterations.

IMG_0428_zpsdigxvpjf.jpg

IMG_0429_zps5w6funpb.jpg

Dropped the winch in to accurately mark where the slot for the freespool lever needed to be.

IMG_0430_zpszoebihng.jpg

IMG_0431_zps5sv4zg2x.jpg

IMG_0433_zpsrry08eke.jpg

IMG_0434_zps3xelny6e.jpg

IMG_0435_zpsq1bejdxn.jpg

IMG_0436_zpsus89a6j0.jpg

IMG_0437_zps0dpdr9ac.jpg

IMG_0438_zpsofdra63i.jpg

Cut out for the rope next.

IMG_0439_zpsrvr7rglb.jpg

IMG_0440_zpsatpegv7a.jpg

Previous owner had started drilling it with a magdrill by the looks of it.

IMG_0441_zpstivfllxt.jpg

Quick check with the fairleed to ensure I was going to cut it correctly.

IMG_0442_zpsmciucnaw.jpg

Then a few hole saw cuts later.

IMG_0443_zps8htl9vbe.jpg

IMG_0444_zpsgek2lwor.jpg

Might need to trim a bit more out still, but so far so good.

IMG_0445_zps5hyxz3fs.jpg

IMG_0447_zpsq2ntlqkg.jpg

IMG_0448_zps8mn0jswh.jpg

IMG_0449_zpstmtihpzu.jpg

IMG_0450_zpsb4on3wy3.jpg

Lots of tabs had been added for lights and aerials and I was keen to loose some of them as I wont be fitting that many lights or in those locations.

IMG_0460_zps6lb2nanq.jpg

IMG_0461_zpskdme03v5.jpg

IMG_0462_zpsiobtxznc.jpg

IMG_0463_zpspfq9rjt3.jpg

Back on the car.

IMG_0465_zpsgn5bmgzp.jpg

IMG_0466_zpsfqxfpdhf.jpg

I had cut 4 sets of tabs off, but had left one set on the top bar for now as I hadnt decided at that poitn what I was doing light wise.

IMG_0467_zpshfg308m6.jpg

IMG_0468_zps6gfi5ku3.jpg

Looked much better without all the tabs every where.

IMG_0470_zps6cr7v2lz.jpg

I will be leaving the original aerial tab in position though encase I ever decide to fit a UHF radio.

IMG_0469_zpssxynvejf.jpg

This week I did some more work on the bullbar and had decided the top 2 tabs needed to go, so bullbar back off.

IMG_2223_zpsj0xftu9b.jpg

Old tabs.

IMG_2224_zpsjgx2y415.jpg

Cut them off.

IMG_2225_zps1z4ult4d.jpg

New laser cut and cnc folded tabs.

IMG_2226_zpsxanrhssg.jpg

Got the bullbar on the bench.

IMG_2227_zpsypvgxmju.jpg

Clamped the tabs in position.

IMG_2228_zpspjasqpeb.jpg

IMG_2229_zpsjsotyzkn.jpg

Made sure they were square to the top of the bullbar.

IMG_2230_zpsg11ybnmz.jpg

And tack welded them on.

IMG_2231_zpsoovihy7v.jpg

IMG_2232_zpsyaycbnmg.jpg

Removed the clamps and fully welded them.

IMG_2233_zpswgie1zea.jpg

The cut out in the top had a notch in it from where it had been cut too far with a cutting disc.

IMG_2234_zpsxjexe9zn.jpg

IMG_2235_zpscu50a68b.jpg

Filled that up with weld and ground it down, then turned my attention to the badly welded reinforcing plate in the back ground.

IMG_2236_zpsos6njvub.jpg

This had been badly welded on to reinforce the bar so a recovery point could be bolted on.

IMG_2237_zpsgq9wgidr.jpg

Diegrinder soon had it looking smoother.

IMG_2238_zpsz5omajto.jpg

IMG_2239_zpskq1yx1ra.jpg

The bar is now almost ready to be shot blast and powder coated, the same as the rear bar.

I'm thinking of then fitting just one set of LED driving lights like I have on LJ.

These ones.

IMG_1715_zps7popqqyn.jpg

IMG_1830_zpsfopb1xci.jpg

IMG_1831_zpssny9waqw.jpg

Cant decide whether to go silver or black with the bars. I'm thinking black as it will look better initially. But I'm probably going to get RJ resprayed black when I get it done and I'm thinking silver bars and wheels might suit a black car better than black. :think:

I do think it looks smart in black. :cool:

soft%20top%20lj70_zpsgwaf3zw9.jpg

Looking good! I'll have to get some marine grease, didn't realise it existed, but could use it for loads of parts. You definitely have the fabrication side of things under control!

Back