Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2016

From where we live, Budapest is a natural halfway point. And racing to get there in an 80 series makes no sense whatsoever.

I think a relatively slow trip sounds nice.

From where we live, Budapest is a natural halfway point. And racing to get there in an 80 series makes no sense whatsoever.

I think a relatively slow trip sounds nice.

Please bear in mind that from the Hungarian border to our place is roughly 10 hours drive (with some short breaks included).

The roads in Hungary on that route allow a much higher average speed than you'll get in Romania :lol:

Its motorway monotony that's the killer which is why i haven't already shouted I'm in on this thread . Much as we enjoyed the company to fro and during this years trip i have to accept the holiday began and ended at Clive's house . It was never a race Drew , time and distance rarely entered my mind but something about motorways just draws you in so your subconsciously driven to get somewhere on a never ending road .

I will be back next year and look forward to meeting the same crowd and more again but my current thinking is to form a very individual plan aimed at making the holiday start on the ferry out and end on the ferry back . It seems a crying shame we passed through so many countries without seeing anything of them so i intend to look for points of interest along the route and stopping for an hour or 3 (or 24 hours if the inclination takes) before continuing on our way and choosing a place to stay when the sun goes down .

Of course i would much rather travel in convoy just for the banter but i realize now that having a camper trailer puts me at odds with most as we can stop and enjoy a few hours R&R before bedtime (even in the rain) while without it i would probably just drive until i was ready to sleep .

For any dreamers who would like to do it but have doubts -

This years trip was the first of its kind for me and i don't mind admitting i am still shocked by just how easy it is , a 17 year old with a cheap satnav could set off on the day they passed their driving test and expect to arrive home safely 5000 miles later .

We often treat the journey to main destination area as part of holidays too rather than exhausting ourselves on motorways.
Typically on return run across France we might spend 3 days rather than 1. And just do 3-4 hrs driving each day, arriving at a campsite at midday, then having the afternoon to head out on bikes or walk or buy some wine ;) and then chill in campsite in the late afternoon and evening.
Last year we also did this heading south through France, and completely changed our itinerary on the way and branched off to St malo in Brittany, then Bordeaux. Originally we were going to hammer south to Massif Central and the trails but it was raining in that area and sunny in Brittany so Brittany it was for 2 days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We often treat the journey to main destination area as part of holidays too rather than exhausting ourselves on motorways.
Typically on return run across France we might spend 3 days rather than 1. And just do 3-4 hrs driving each day, arriving at a campsite at midday, then having the afternoon to head out on bikes or walk or buy some wine ;) and then chill in campsite in the late afternoon and evening.
Last year we also did this heading south through France, and completely changed our itinerary on the way and branched off to St malo in Brittany, then Bordeaux. Originally we were going to hammer south to Massif Central and the trails but it was raining in that area and sunny in Brittany so Brittany it was for 2 days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Andy may have just summed this up.

Flexibility is the key and that's difficult when in a convoy. As individuals, you can be as flexible as you wish.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I agree 100%! For the coming up trip to Morocco I'm giving myself 7 full days to get to Algeciras. I'll stay two days in Barcelona area and so on. I could do the 3500km in 48 hours but whats the point of geting there and drop dead before the real adventure begins.
I'm really looking forward Romania 2016. I could not join this year just by a week. Next year I'll be on time ;) ratrace and I are the first confirmed team. Next?:)

I could do early July, but have to be back for school hols.

Missus won't go, she hates being in a car, but eldest lad may, would need a co-driver for sure.

Missus won't go, she hates being in a car, but eldest lad may, would need a co-driver for sure.

Ask on here and make a deal with someone

I am going to give it ago for the 1st time and share with GeorgeG, we will see how it works

It might be a good idea for anyone who is doing trips on there own to maybe look for a co driver on here and share the cost

I have a deal with my mate Wayne it works very well

I can't argue with any of that. Will put some brain power into it, but travelling individual, while meeting up at Clive's place sounds fun as well.

I really like just being with my wife on the road.

:)

so are we looking at the last week of july to the end of August or maybe go into Sept, please note it blood rain a lot this year in August

So happy with any of those 2 weeks

so are we looking at the last week of july to the end of August or maybe go into Sept, please note it blood rain a lot this year in August

So happy with any of those 2 weeks

Not here it didn't Mike, it rained on five days in August, the Tuesday you came through to the Saturday. For at least 6 weeks before, and since then, it's been bone dry and up in the mid 30's, and it still is.

You guys must have brought it with you, I was gutted...:doh:This was Busteni, just up the road....

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have just been informed we will be in Egypt for a fortnight starting August 5th .

I think i was under the trailer cursing everything living or dead trying to get ready for this years trip when she got me to agree to the Egypt thing :doh:but i have been sentenced so must do the time :violin:

Before or after i will just see what date evolves and work things out from there .

3 for the 1st half of sept

Anyone else like to offer dates

well had a bit of news from work i can get the time off in May as well so will do trip to Romania via Bulgaria with a friend/guide have also hire a vehicle of hime as well. Will fly in on the 29-4-16 to Sofia and get a coach to Veliko Tarnovo.

Back