Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SeaJays 80

I was only thinking the other day what's the point in my DSLR now and how much the market for cameras must have fallen by

we got home a few days ago from our 9 week tour, the only problem we had with the 80 was fanbelts, broke one just out of Nanutarra roadhouse that also threw off the air con belt and snapped the wire to the air con compressor. We were able to return to Nanutarra on the one remaining fanbelt, and aranged to have another set sent down from Karratha the next morning. Unfortunatly the replacements were not genuine toyota ones, and even tho I did retention the new belts after running the engine for a while one of them snapped on the beach at Ningaloo Station. Lucky for us another camper there had a genuine set and since fitting them there has been no problems
20180921_115749.jpg
20180921_182145.jpg
20180913_154452.jpg
20180911_180451.jpg
20180922_134826.jpg
20180913_113555.jpg

Great thread !

Decided to change to a front mount IC as the top mount fan wasn't handling the heat to well on long extended drives in the extreme heat, picked one of these kits up today
http://www.performancedieselinterco...landcruiser-80-series-front-mount-intercooler

How did this turn out ? I am about to pull the trigger but could do with some real world feedback, please.It seems the PDI coolers are at the upper end.How does it compare to your previous cooler, please ?

Great thread !

How did this turn out ? I am about to pull the trigger but could do with some real world feedback, please.It seems the PDI coolers are at the upper end.How does it compare to your previous cooler, please ?

The top mount was a lot easier to fit, but I had problems with the fan towing heavy trailers in extreme heat (45c) the electric fan, even though it was a good one (spal) would die due to prolonged high engine bay temps. If you live in a cooler climate they may be fine

The top mount was a lot easier to fit, but I had problems with the fan towing heavy trailers in extreme heat (45c) the electric fan, even though it was a good one (spal) would die due to prolonged high engine bay temps. If you live in a cooler climate they may be fine

Thanks. Is the PDI cooler more efficient that the Cross Country ?

I don't have any fancy equipment to do controlled testing :) but on my 80 the PDI produces much lower EGT readings for similar conditions. When I was in a cooler climate the top mount worked fine, and like I said it was a heck of a lot easier to fit

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would say, If your towing something heavy over long distances go the front mount. If your not towing, or you blast thru mud on short runs, then the top mount would be fine

Thanks mate, good enough for me.Now waiting to hear from them.

Towed the caravan to Esperance, about 700km south east of Perth, Western Australia. Fitted RDA Extreme brake pads before we left, 100 series front, 80 series rear, and they are an improvement when trying to slow the weight of the caravan and all the fuel in the car. Also had the AFR gauge set up, and pulled the fuel pin in the IP and reset it to 21:1 at 26psi.
20190312_094707.jpg

got hold of a second hand MSA fridge cage, and then mounted the Travel Buddy oven on top

20200626_111354.jpg

Can even get a pie out from the side window :)

20200626_120351.jpg

Also changed the tyres to Nitto Trail Grapplers
20200530_140442.jpg

I like the hinged panels to replace rear windows, are they a difficult install?

No not really, there is a you tube video on it somewhere

Second to last picture looks like a Toyota breeding ground You have done some very nice pictures there Seajay would really love to swap to big blue skys and sunshine had so much bloody rain here even the dirt looks like its been washed clean

Certainly and I think you'll all join with me in commiserating with SeaJay in having his trip spoiled by such appalling weather. It must have been a huge disappointment. It might be better to simply delete the whole tread and help him to put the experience behind us all. I mean behind him.

Now there's a idea if i'm to be arrested simply for visiting my local beach a 15 minute walk away then why not make it worthwhile and take the truck for a spin in the surf :character-beavisbu:

Seriously though thanks for sharing

:text-coolphotos:

After giving the old girl a bit of a workout getting the caravan off the beach at Sandy Cape the rear diff was leaking oil out the pinion seal, and air out of the ARB airlocker inside the diff, so I decided to drop the centre out last weekend to fix it, unfortunately it got away from me and ...

20210103_123529.jpg
20210109_100218.jpg

strong words were said,

Lucky I married a nurse

OUCH!! :dizzy: :screamcat:

Bet that needed a bit more than a band-aid....bloody hell!!

Trying to look on the bright side, it seems a clean(ish) cut - at least the rest of your finger isn't all mangled up.

Another tale for a night round the campfire - you could always say that it's from the time you had a disagreement with the Yakuza. :icon-wink:

Take care :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back