Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shift lock

Hi Steven. Welcome.

I have a 03 100 I'm I'm quite sure it won't move unless foots on the brake. I'm sure someone who uses there's as a daily drive will be along soon with a defo answer though.

Karl

On my 03 100 it shifts straight out of park without having ones foot on the brake but mine is OZ spec so it may be a peculiarity of that market. I did think it strange that it didn't have the brake actuated release though. UK spec auto 80's didn't have it on but import 80 auto's did. Maybe it will tell you in the owners handbook.

Andy

My 2004 has a shift lock like you describe. It's a small, square button at the front corner of the gated gear shift cover. The button has a tendency to stick in the depressed position, in which case you are free to shift out of park anytime. I have to exercise it with some wd40 once a year.

The lock is market dependent. If you don't have that little button in the corner, it's probably not fitted on yours.

My 2000 model has shift lock, it is a Jap import but I thought it was a standard thing on auto's.

I had trouble with it on one of my Hilux Surfs, and it was a small solenoid in the shifter mechanism, took it out and sprayed with WD40 cured the problem.

My 99 has shift interlock for moving out of Park/into 1st, via the large button on the side of the shifter.

Doesn't matter if you're on the brakes or not though.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was told the manual shift over ride button is there for workshop use so that for whatever reason the auto box shift was needed with batteries removed it could be accessed. I suppose it makes sense.
Also the reason why my 03 100 5 speed doesn't have it ( not anything to do with OZ spec then)

Andy

Nice one Steve, what procedure did you take and where was the rust?

Andy

I have found out the definitive answer. Shift lock was not fitted to the Land Cruiser Amazon 100 between 08/2002-07/2004, this is when they first introduced the 'G' shaped shift gate, (as opposed to the straight up and down), because Toyota in their wisdom thought that the shift leaver was not as easy to move by mistake, then they started to fit Shift Lock again for the 05 MY and on, for some reason.

So that's the answer.
Mine is 7/2004 production, and has the shift lock....
Looking in the FSM, it says that from 8/2004 there is a shift lock system fitted.
Maybe mine is made on the 31st of july...

Just went to my Toyota dealer they took pictures sent them to Toyota GB, and rest is history, the rust spot upper was just above the long 'Land Cruiser' about where the 'N' is, and the lower were around the two threaded holes for fixing the number plate. They would have been so easy to repair, but Toyota insisted on new parts, perhaps they knew they had a bad batch of pressings around the time my LC was produced.

Mine has a similar problem, next time it goes in for a service I will have Mr T check it out.....

Back