Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow Watch

There are quite a lot of deep drifts around here and some of the main roads are difficult for non-4x4s. I was ploughing a trail with the '100' up to the farm where No. 1 daughter keeps the horses as my wife and I get to do the feeding and occasionally the Mucking Out (and pay most of the bills).

But yesterday . . . :angry-screaming:.

Heading for the stables through a small village on hard-packed snow with ice underneath I lost it completely on a slight downgrade with a RH curve. Driving slowly (15MPH ?) I suddenly found the back chasing the front and couldn't correct it, the front wheels were on ice as well. We did a complete 180 degree spin and stopped - after stuffing the front N/S into a lamppost :doh:.

Today I'm running without the plastic bumper/valance and Simon Holton is sourcing bits for me (some were damaged, others just rusted away). Its probably illegal to run without Pedestrian Protection, but the animals must be fed and there aren't many pedestrians about anyway :whistle:. Thankfully it was just the plastic and bits behind it that copped it, the lights all work though the N/S headlight has broken glass.

No pictures - I'm too embarrassed :oops:.

That's another month off to a bad start.

Bob.

Snowed in today, snow too deep for the Hilux now,
Pretty deep Yesterday too

Hilux did well, apart from wipers stopping for a while ,
Helped push out two Stuck neighbours

Wow... wouldn’t have wanted to be in anything less, in those conditions Andy...

Got a little bit coming down now and has been since about 3pm with reasonable sized flakes.
Booked in for community nurse transport tomorrow.

Most snow in 3 years and my 120 decides its not playing. Some knocking sound cv? and then serious clanging sounds going down the hill two days ago. Now parked up waiting for it to be nicer to take a look.

Down to the rwd BMW.... The fun of a slidy rear is starting to wear out now.

There are quite a lot of deep drifts around here and some of the main roads are difficult for non-4x4s. I was ploughing a trail with the '100' up to the farm where No. 1 daughter keeps the horses as my wife and I get to do the feeding and occasionally the Mucking Out (and pay most of the bills).

But yesterday . . . :angry-screaming:.

Heading for the stables through a small village on hard-packed snow with ice underneath I lost it completely on a slight downgrade with a RH curve. Driving slowly (15MPH ?) I suddenly found the back chasing the front and couldn't correct it, the front wheels were on ice as well. We did a complete 180 degree spin and stopped - after stuffing the front N/S into a lamppost :doh:.

Today I'm running without the plastic bumper/valance and Simon Holton is sourcing bits for me (some were damaged, others just rusted away). Its probably illegal to run without Pedestrian Protection, but the animals must be fed and there aren't many pedestrians about anyway :whistle:. Thankfully it was just the plastic and bits behind it that copped it, the lights all work though the N/S headlight has broken glass.

No pictures - I'm too embarrassed :oops:.

That's another month off to a bad start.

Bob.

Bloody ‘ell.

Once they let go it’s very hard to correct, on an icy hill.

Years ago I took a Terrano up a steep s curved road in 4WD which was very icy and it went almost all the way to the top, but not quite.

We slipped backwards all the way, crashing into a brand new truck, at the bottom, literally days old. He wasn’t happy.

I had mine modified yesterday while stationary in an off street parking bay while sounding the horn. No snow involved.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not really Clive. Just hitched the bumper up and back a bit on the driver’s side and scraped the paint a bit. It will probably sort itself if I slackened the bolts and let it drop back. The lady has told her insurers and I went to tell Adrian Flux but there was a message saying if it wasn’t urgent to call back due to high volumes because of the weather. Not sure what I want to do TBH, but am leaning towards calling it in for the sake of a bumper respray and a corner perhaps.

20180301_184523.jpg

20180301_183555.jpg

Dulford snow scene

We’ve got around 4-5 inches lying snow here with drifts much deeper due to the strong wind. Not as bad as other parts of the country from what’s been on the news but still not seen anything approaching the snow we had in 2010.

Most snow in 3 years and my 120 decides its not playing. Some knocking sound cv? and then serious clanging sounds going down the hill two days ago. Now parked up waiting for it to be nicer to take a look.

Down to the rwd BMW.... The fun of a slidy rear is starting to wear out now.

I've got no front prop shaft on the 80 lol. Loads of snow to play in and no toy :icon-cry::icon-cry: I'm gutted.

We've got winter tyres on the rwd Beemer and it drives everywhere.
The missus got funny looks over taking a stuck car uphill on the school run :lol:

I've got no front prop shaft on the 80 lol. Loads of snow to play in and no toy :icon-cry::icon-cry: I'm gutted.

We've got winter tyres on the rwd Beemer and it drives everywhere.
The missus got funny looks over taking a stuck car uphill on the school run :lol:

Still in the naughty-corner is it Gary? Shame that, when there’s snow about... :doh:

Just got back from 12 mile round trip into town to get a pizza.
it was pretty bad going tbh. About 5" lying, big drifts and blowing a gale with very poor visibility.

Coming back wasnt too bad as the plough had been through.
this is leek to Ashbourne road on my way back.

20180301_201921.jpg
20180301_203228.jpg

The second one isnt out of focus, thats how poor visibility was.

Just got back from 12 mile round trip into town to get a pizza.

Yeah, right! Come on CG, we all know you just went out for a play :icon-biggrin:

Those pics remind me of past trips over Axe Edge as a kid in the 60’s & 70’s visiting relatives in Leek.

As the rear diff lock is broken on my truck I am debating whether to get it over the pit before I leave work or... Do it when I get stuck later laying on cardboard! Trouble is if I put it in I will have to jack it up and take the cover off to get it back out again!

I did a very crude fix once using a coil spring, a piece of dyneema and cover plate! you tie it off somewhere and if you get really in trouble just release the string and then pull it again when you get out. It might only work the once for you but that might be all you need

:eusa-shhh:

They wouldn't deliver for some reason...

Awesome we are due 1m (1000mm) of snow in south Dublin according to the boffins on tv. Not sure if that's 1m high or 1m square but hey it a meter!

C30B4BE2-EECD-4B29-BDCA-241954013543.jpeg Quite a journey home especially Tavistock to Two Bridges. 1 to 3 foot drifts both sides of the road and 6” deep on road so couldnt see much at all. Top speed in 5th low was 24mph but great fun.
Got home 100 mins longer than normal journey. At one point no other vehicle had left any tracks so well done the 29 year old!
10” deep snow at home and its still coming down.

Last edited:
Back