Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter motor 'click'

Edward Moyse

Hey all,

I think I know the answer to this, but thought I'd check with the real experts...

So for a few months now my cruiser occasionally fails to start - hear a click, but nothing happens. Popping the bonnet and smacking the starter fixes it, so I guess I need a new starter motor. My friendly local garage said this is pretty pricey, but I could just try changing the solenoid (if I can get hold of one). Does this sound sensible / feasible? Is it possible to repair the current starter?

I read in another thread that it can be the starter relay, but I'm not sure that makes sense in my case, given that giving the motor a good thwack fixes the issue.

Thanks all!

Ed

Hi Ed, take the starter off and take the back off the solenoid to reveal the contacts that actually send current to the motor. There's a good chance if they're anything like the 80 that they have burned away. You should be able to find new ones pretty easily online and there are modified bigger ones available which are best. It's not a big job if you take it steady and clean it up while you're in there.

One tip though, pop some low to medium strength stud lock on the screws for the solenoid cover when you put them back. If you don't, the cover can fall off, allow the plunger to short the wiring and set light to your truck.

Ask me how I know. [emoji4]

Best
Rich

You can buy starter motor rebuild kits. :icon-ugeek:

I bought one from Ebay.uk a few years ago for mine and it was like £15!

It came with a new plunger, contacts and all the other bits and pieces. :icon-biggrin:

Its a very easy job to do and afterwards your starter motor will be good as new. :icon-wink:

This is where I bought my kit from, via ebay:

http://www.repairkitsuk.com/1.html

This might also be helpful and theres also lots of videos on youtube:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Starter-Motor-Repair/

Thanks both!

Rich that sounds scary. I will use plenty of stud lock! :shock:

Ben - thanks for the links. That looks re-assuringly doable ... I've just ordered a kit. Will let you both know how it goes!

Scary is right, I've never disconnected two batteries that quick in all my life and been so glad of a fire extinguisher!! [emoji33]

A drop of said stud lock is fine, just clean the threads well with a wire brush and degrease with brake cleaner or such like and all will be fine. [emoji4]

Scary is right, I've never disconnected two batteries that quick in all my life and been so glad of a fire extinguisher!!]

I had a similar situation Rich when my starter shorted out, it is amazing just how quickly you can disconnect a battery. :shock:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah. I was in a hurry one morning and managed to jump start my smart from the land cruiser .... Only I reversed polarity (in my defence the negative lead in the smart is orange ... And the terminal markings were hidden). I was sitting in the smart wondering why it wouldn't start when I smelt burning.... I've never moved so fast in my life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear, bet that cooked it Ed! [emoji20]

Crikey, you did get off lightly with all the electronics in a Smart. I'm amazed!! [emoji33]

The main fuse blew pretty fast, but yeah it was amazing! The garage I took it to said someone had done that to one of their smarts and they needed to get a new engine management whatsit, at a cost of much moola. I was very happy I just had to pay a couple of hundred quid.

That reminds me actually, I really need to put very very very clear labels on the smart battery leads ASAP. ;-)

The main fuse blew pretty fast, but yeah it was amazing! The garage I took it to said someone had done that to one of their smarts and they needed to get a new engine management whatsit, at a cost of much moola. I was very happy I just had to pay a couple of hundred quid.

That reminds me actually, I really need to put very very very clear labels on the smart battery leads ASAP. ;-)

Yes I had to fork out for a new ECU for mine after waiting over a year for one to come on the market with SAM and dials. £700 plus coding from Merc!!![emoji33][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

My own stupid fault for buying it. [emoji35]

Although the problem in this thread sounds like worn plunger contacts in the starter motor,
I'm connecting this thread with another thread with a starter issue on this forum;

Start Relay worn contacts

The difference with bad starter motor plunger contacts is that the starter motor actually makes a sound too.
When the starter relay is bad, the starer motor doesn't move / engage at all.

A more rare and even harder to diagnose problem are bad flywheel teeth.
This may cause the starter gear wheel hit a flywheel tooth dead straight
The small starter motor gear wheel not going left or right without gripping the flywheel.
In this case the plunger contacts won't touch.

The secret of this problem is that only a few flywheel sections are gripped by the starter motor.
When one of these sections are worn, the occasional no start may also occur!!
The good part is that turning at the engine a bit usually does result in a start.

I had this problem with a 13.000 Kg Merc 4x4 - took me a while before that was properly diagnosed.

Cheers
Arno

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the help - I got my kit from http://www.repairkitsuk.com/1.html a while back and last weekend I finally found time to install it. It was all pretty easy except that I was having a nightmare getting the socket on the upper nut holding the starter motor on... it was only when I managed to get my hand on it, that I realised the reason was there WAS no nut ... my starter motor was held on by one and wishful thinking.

I also managed to confuse myself with the kit, but I called up repairskits and they were incredibly helpful.

The truck has started perfectly every time since I installed the kit. Very happy!

Cheers,

Ed
Before:

IMG_0005.jpg
After:
IMG_0006.jpg

That looks very familiar Ed, not too bad a job is it? No doubt you put the studloc on the 3 screws. :innocent:

Good of job you did it as it highlighted the need for the extra bolt.

Good pics BTW and thanks for letting us know how you got on. They actually do an extended set of contacts for where the ones on the 80 get eaten away. This mod has been ok on mine for the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Back