Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting problem

Pat

Country Flag
new_zealand
Our kzj78 auto is not starting.the motor turns over but doesn't fire.It has happened before and a wriggle of the gear levers and it started but not this time.any help appreciated please.Pat.

Start with the silly things Pat. Fuses, relays, make sure all are seated and not blown. Try swapping relays. Check for burned or corroded contacts with the fuses or relays.

The gear shift problem is familiar to me ([emoji30]) but I think it must operate a relay as I would expect it to inhibit the starter if not in park or neutral not just the cut out.

My thoughts are generic troubleshooting as I don't know this vehicle.

Good luck with it.

Richard

Last edited:
Had it going intermittently,switch and maybe relays we think.

Ok, won't be blown fuses then but could still be a burned or otherwise poor connection, possibly on the ignition switch. Try attempting to start it and wiggling relays and wiring gently.

I haven't had any luck so far.We can get it to start and then switch it off and it won't start again.Frustrating.All relays appear ok,checked wiring on ignition switch,switch on gear change unit seems right.Are there any more things I've missed

I'm starting to wonder if it might be leaky fuel lines allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.

Is it petrol or diesel? If diesel, check the connection to the fuel solenoid on the back of the pump. Check there for 12V and then that there is a resistance across the solenoid.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am sure you are right.there is a leak at the rear of the injector pump.we can't see it too well.Is there a gasket between the pump body and the injector line housing please?thanks Pat

Had our local AA fault man came out and he got it going temporary, but said it needs auto electrician to give it the works.I've just had 5 days in hospital so I'll give it a bit of time to fix it.

Beau is the forums expert on these pumps Pat but i think the pump filters can be removed for cleaning with the pump in place . The spill control valve has been known to cause issues and i do recall someone on here with electrical problems finally after much ado tracking down the fault to a dry connection in the fuse box . All of the above relates to the 90 series but same engine same pump .

Thanks Shane,I have to rely on others at the moment as my joints are playing up.My son wants to fit grease nipples in various parts of my body to make me more mobile.I have arranged for an auto electrician to come either Wednesday or Thursday and according to the AA man he should be able to sort it out.He played around with the glow plug relays and got it started every time,so after he left,I drove it down to our fuel tank filled it and backed it into the shed again,turned it off and then it wouldn't start.Got it going once more later in the day but will leave it to the expert.

I've downloaded Beaus info and also the wiring diagram from the club and I'm sure it will help a lot but l'll let you know what the sparky finds.thanks all.

Good luck with it i hope it turns out to be a simple fix and i don't think grease is good for your bones , personally i find beer to be the best medicine .

Yes, good luck with it Pat.

WD40 capsules is what You need[emoji6]

I've got a mate who makes rakia (grappa)he says Pat you have sore elbow rub some on..he fixit..you have sore shoulder you rub on..he fix it pat you have sore tummy take a little drink,he fix it..well I had that stuff in my pantry for years kept everything inflammable away from it.There came a time when I got crook with the flu and l was ready to try anything and so Idug this dusty old bottle up and made a mix of black tea sugar and brandy and did it clean out my dusty old flues.that fixed me I dam near did a 4 minute mile.only thing if I take the remedy again my crutches won't keep up with my legs.

By the way,we want Wales to go all the way they deserve it.

By the way,we want Wales to go all the way they deserve it.

Thats some stament from a Newzelander on a predominantly English (forgive me) forum :laughing-rolling:

It may demand a new thread all of its own!

Back