Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steps, rock rails, whatever...

Hi HW, it's one foot exactly, or 305mm in new money.

Here's a photo, but the angle of the camera makes measurement from photos almost impossible.

To give an idea of the "aperture" for the headlamps, the top of the bottom tube is 120mm from the flat top of the bumper.

View attachment 108439

I realize my measurement is taken further in, but the top rail and the bumper top plate are as good as horizontal.

Thanks Clive
I actually set the top tube a little high on the section I've already had made (unintentionally) so Have to drop the height for the tubes around the headlights, hopefully it'll look similar to the ones with a 3"" tube "A" bar and slightly thinner tubes around the lights. I can get onto the tube place right now thanks to your help, as I want it finished so I can move onto my rear wheel carrier bumper.

The one lesson I learnt is don't ignore them and certainly don't do anything harsh without some protection. I did exactly that and bent / ruined the sills to the point where the doors wouldn't open or close.

I ended up having to cut out the sills and replacing with 120mm x 120mm x 5 box section - although it gave me chance to shorten the sills to allow 37" tyres on only a 2" lift (I like to keep as low as possible). I added some ø50mm x 4 tube as steps / sliders.

They are as tough as old boots but quite a bit of work. The impressive thing was that after 20 years there was not one single spot of corrosion within the sills.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

The one lesson I learnt is don't ignore them and certainly don't do anything harsh without some protection. I did exactly that and bent / ruined the sills to the point where the doors wouldn't open or close.

I ended up having to cut out the sills and replacing with 120mm x 120mm x 5 box section - although it gave me chance to shorten the sills to allow 37" tyres on only a 2" lift (I like to keep as low as possible). I added some ø50mm x 4 tube as steps / sliders.

They are as tough as old boots but quite a bit of work. The impressive thing was that after 20 years there was not one single spot of corrosion within the sills.

View attachment 108440 View attachment 108441 View attachment 108442

So effectively, you replaced the (existing bent) outer sills with a 5mm thick box section with an integral 4mm thick tube... which sounds pretty strong to me :thumbup:

So effectively, you replaced the (existing bent) outer sills with a 5mm thick box section with an integral 4mm thick tube... which sounds pretty strong to me :thumbup:

Worked OK to date Clive, been on 5 years and had some real hammering, they work t great effect as a turning aid against trees and big rocks - but my 80 is not a pretty, whilst I cosset it mechanically the body has had a hard life.

Back