Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'SWAMPY' MY 02 LWB 3.0 D4D GX Colorado

Thats what I've been saying for the past 2-3 years! :eusa-naughty: :lol:

Those operating temps seem about right Steven. :icon-wink:

My normal running temps are 70-85 and occasionally as high as 92.

I've had it go over 100 a couple of times before but I've always put the heating on full and pulled over and stopped the engine to let it cool down, but that was before I put the viscous fan back on and so had a lot of overheating issues. :icon-biggrin:

Nice model. :thumbup:
I know, I know :oops: It often takes a catastrophic event to galvanise ones thoughts and for me it was Fiery's resent engine failure!

Think I'm going to set the alarm point at 90°C for now then and see how annoying it is at this level :)

It's an almost perfect little toy model of Fiery :) They do a LWB one also, but not in dark metałic green that I've managed to find so far :( I have considered buying one, striping it down and repainting it with AirFix enamel paint :shifty: Is that sad :icon-question:

Last edited:
Got the buzzer that I bought from Maplins fitted to the new temperature gauge to give me an audible warning when it reaches the set point.

I had a look at fitting it on the outside of the gauge, but it looked a tad clumsy! So I popped it open to see if it would fit inside and it did :)

IMG_9710_zps31bb73ea.jpg

I reckon that the circle you can see in this photo is where a sounder would be fitted if one was supplied from the factory. If I'd had more time I would have explored what readings one got from those connection points.

IMG_9711_zpsa6ad4624.jpg

IMG_9712_zpscb3786c6.jpg

Just needed to trim off the mounting tabs to make the fit a little better.

IMG_9713_zpsb4aae464.jpg

A bit of sticky.

IMG_9714_zps6869414b.jpg

Job done :)

IMG_9715_zps6b139e0a.jpg

I also relocated the gauge as I was just not happy with where I'd fitted it before and this new location is ten times better, out of sight. I still don't like the look of the thing, but its pro's out-way its con's, so I'll live with it for know :) ;)

IMG_9717_zps0a49c671.jpg

IMG_9720_zpsfa667bbe.jpg

IMG_9721_zpsdf92138f.jpg

Looks good Steven! :thumbup:

I must get a buzzer fitted to mine. :think:

I think the temp gauge fits better in a 70 than a 90! Mine looks almost factory with it fitted into the dash. :icon-cool:

It's an almost perfect little toy model of Fiery :) They do a LWB one also, but not in dark metałic green that I've managed to find so far :( I have considered buying one, striping it down and repainting it with AirFix enamel paint :shifty: Is that sad :icon-question:

:lol:

Only you would consider doing that! :wtf:

You must have far too much time on your hands! :whistle:

I bought myself some of this sticky backed anti slip tape when I was in Halfords to put along the ol' rock sliders. I think it looks really very well, but only time will tell how robust it is :)

IMG_9723_zps623fcc24.jpg

IMG_9725_zpsa6ed068c.jpg

IMG_9726_zps4abff9fd.jpg

IMG_9728_zps30aeacbc.jpg

IMG_9729_zpsbadd1b51.jpg

IMG_9730_zps0d41fd65.jpg

You want to be getting that sorted soon! The weathers warming up and that's not a Land Rover your driving any longer, so no excuse for being uncomfortable :) ;)

yeah I know :D it will have to wait though as I need to order 5 new tyres, and an upper steering column shaft :D did your muddys balance ok? I took them to F1 auto centre in chelmsford and they said thats the best they can balance them due to the size :( now I'm doing more road miles I will put some ATs on

Last edited:
yeah I know :D it will have to wait though as I need to order 5 new tyres, and an upper steering column shaft :D did your muddy's balance OK? I took them to F1 auto center in Chelmsford and they said that's the best they can balance them due to the size :( now I'm doing more road miles I will put some A/T on
You'll regret not getting that air-con done when the weather improves. It was a real treat to have it working in Wales this weekend just gone :) I've never had anyone suggest that the tyres were difficult to balance! I always used to use SuperTyres in Maldon, but now use a Tyre place that recently opened in Witham near to Morrisons and they have been very helpful to me swapping almost on an hourly basis at one point when I couldn't decide between the 255's or the 285's :) I'm looking forward to getting a close look at a set of Cooper ST Maxx's at Lincomb myself and would also consider a set of the new BFG A/T's with the side wall lugs :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have had my St maxx's on for a few weeks (but not too many miles) and so far, are very pleased with them - running at 37.5 psi for the moment. They 'feel' right for me at this. Only off road has been on a muddyish track down to my lake and a hard track, no issues at all. Wifey had it out in very heavy rain last night again, no problems.

Had another foray into Wales last weekend and apart from my ATF over temperature light coming on a few times due to a combination of low oil level and a poorly installed Mocal oil cooler, see thread http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...ox-Separate-Inter-Cooler-do-they-really-work-! we had a great weekend with great weather :icon-cool:

I took over 400 photos and will try to do a trip report some time, but here's a selected few piccys for you till then :)

We left Essex around 11:00Hrs and so arrived in Wales with time to get some lanes done on our way to the first camp site :) :) :)

IMG_9750_zps646c15a4.jpg

IMG_9751_zps425d756d.jpg

IMG_9752_zps6703e4f0.jpg

About the second or third lane in both Giles and myself became delayed and not able to go forwards or back even with all our lockers in! At this point it was just myself and Giles as we met up with Mog in his Disco later on. At first I was following Giles along the lane into the same bomb hole. When we realised that he had lost forward and backward momentum the plan was for me to back up take the route to the right of him and pull him out, but I also became delayed in both directions! So I winched Giles backwards, back down into the bomb hole till he could reverse out. He then drove around me and snatched me out :)
IMG_9753_zps9ceda48d.jpg

IMG_9754_zpsb0bcdaf5.jpg

IMG_9755_zps27d5783a.jpg

This was good fun :) These sheep clearly thought we'd come to feed them and we were soon surrounded by 2/300 of them running towards us from a far :)

IMG_9756_zpse4a9dbf6.jpg

IMG_9757_zps8bf3712a.jpg

MOOOO :)

IMG_9758_zpsb2354f1c.jpg

IMG_9759_zpsdf92be04.jpg

I just happened to be taking a photo at the start of this lane on the boarders of Hereford & Wales when this plan came from nowhere straight up the valley! It was so, so low I felt that if I'd reached up I could have stroked its belly!!! Anyone identify it?

IMG_9760_zps22acb479.jpg

IMG_9761_zpse870e2a8.jpg

IMG_9762_zps930fb957.jpg

IMG_9763_zps61d2052f.jpg

Dinner on the first evening cooked on the new stove was butcher made beefburgers in buns with salad and Swiss cheese :)

IMG_9764_zpseff14527.jpg

View of camp Q1 from the tent Saturday morning :)

IMG_9765_zpsa26bbcef.jpg

I'm not used to this when up in Wales, but it was so dry and warm that if you were truck 2 or 3 then you spent the day mostly driving through a dust cloud!!! It got so bad on some lanes that truck 1 and 2 had to run with fog lights so that the truck following could judge its distance to you!

IMG_9766_zps88631136.jpg

IMG_9767_zps3f9b0127.jpg

IMG_9768_zps852244d5.jpg

IMG_9769_zpsa42b8466.jpg

IMG_9770_zps432e84ed.jpg

IMG_9771_zpsb99b6559.jpg

Unbelievable engineering in this fence post :icon-cool: I took about a dozen photos of it from all angles :icon-biggrin:

IMG_9772_zps706691bd.jpg

Dropped in on Iwen for a cupa to find him as many I'm sure frantically trying to get his truck ready for Lincomb :)

Thanks for the hospitality and interesting chat again Iwan, it's always a pleasure to see you :) :thumbup:

IMG_9773_zps67bef1b9.jpg

IMG_9774_zps39759e9e.jpg

IMG_9775_zps1723c8ae.jpg

IMG_9776_zps11d09ca0.jpg

Saturdays camp site is about a mile up the lane on a plateau over looking the Snowdonia national park, but there were so many trees across the road it was impassable even though we had a chainsaw with us! There must have been a dozen trees down and a couple were proper monsters! We had to abort this camp site SP2 and head over to another we've used when the weathers really bad as it's very sheltered called BWS3 :) ;)

IMG_9777_zpsc531d9c0.jpg

They've really got on with some logging in this area and it's to dam close to our BWS3 camp site! Looking at whats going on here BWS3 may not be so sheltered the next time we pass through.

IMG_9778_zps5a0b7294.jpg

As we drove pass the log piles we spied this beautiful creation by John Deere and had to pull over for close look :) :icon-cool:

IMG_9779_zps3150dff3.jpg

IMG_9780_zpsf0059432.jpg

IMG_9781_zps1875624b.jpg

IMG_9782_zps692ce6f2.jpg

Camp site BWS3, fire lit and being accelerated by the prototype fire accelerator :)

Later on that night we heated some scrap steel and forged our own cutlery :) :) ;)

IMG_9784_zps85f762b1.jpg

New stove in use again and I'm loving it, so pleased it's not a petrol one :) :) :) ;)

IMG_9785_zps9b519ad3.jpg

Dinners served :)

IMG_9786_zpsaab9b88f.jpg

Faning the fire again with the accelerator PT1 :)

IMG_9787_zps2740f600.jpg

View of camp site BWS3 from the tent Sunday morning :)

IMG_9788_zpsc9893cf0.jpg

IMG_9789_zpse607f4cc.jpg

IMG_9790_zpsbd67a14e.jpg

IMG_9791_zps07090002.jpg

IMG_9792_zps762a960d.jpg

IMG_9793_zpsa96200c3.jpg

IMG_9794_zps76fc6585.jpg

Mog chipped off around lunch time leaving myself and Giles to do a couple more hours of laning before we also called it a day and headed home :)

IMG_9795_zps4f11662a.jpg

IMG_9796_zpsd3213380.jpg

Terrific pics Steve, That plane could be a Hercules.

Yes indeed looks like as great weekend. One of these decades I'll get down one of these laning weekends

Andy.

Great pics, looks like the weather we had a few weeks back. Came back from Wales with a tan!!!

Look forward to full laning report is 4th last pic in wayfarer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome pics Steven! :clap:

Really looking forward to getting out with you and the guys again for some Welsh laning. :thumbup:

Great pics - looks like a good trip!

Looks like a C130 to me?

Excellent Steven, great trip and pics, thanks for the trouble of posting. :thumbup:

Hercules used to fly up the Teifi valley when I lived there and you felt you could count the rivets. They look to be going too slow to fly...:lol:

The fence post looks like old British Railways stock kit, with ratchet tensioners for the strainer wires. They didn't do things by halves in those pre-Dr Richard Beeching days (bless him :icon-rolleyes:) :lol:

Pity about the stove though. Sniff.

Hercules used to fly up the Teifi valley when I lived there and you felt you could count the rivets. They look to be going too slow to fly...:lol:
I was halfway up Snowdon on The Watkin Path when two RAF fighters flew by, I was looking down into their cockpits they were that low.

Last edited:
Terrific pics Steve, That plane could be a Hercules.

Yes indeed looks like as great weekend. One of these decades I'll get down one of these laning weekends

Andy.

Great pics, looks like the weather we had a few weeks back. Came back from Wales with a tan!!!

Look forward to full laning report is 4th last pic in wayfarer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome pics Steven! :clap:

Really looking forward to getting out with you and the guys again for some Welsh laning. :thumbup:

Great pics - looks like a good trip!

Looks like a C130 to me?

Excellent Steven, great trip and pics, thanks for the trouble of posting. :thumbup:

The fence post looks like old British Railways stock kit, with ratchet tensioners for the strainer wires. They didn't do things by halves in those pre-Dr Richard Beeching days (bless him :icon-rolleyes:) :lol:

I was halfway up Snowdon on The Watkin Path when two RAF fighters flew by, I was looking down into their cockpits they were that low.

Thanks for all of your kind words guys :) It was a lovely weekend and I don't think I've been up there in such dry and warm conditions until then! Not sure about an all over tan, but probably got skin cancer in my right arm from being hung out of the window!!! I can't believe that all of those photos are taken on an iPhone! It beggars belief really! I had a good google of plan images and I also reckon that plan was a Hercules although I've no idea what a C130 is, so will have another Google. There are a couple of photos of the Wayfarer at the end of that lot yes :) Looking forwards to you coming over also Ben :) :thumbup: That fence post was truly amazing. I would be happy to have it in the center of the lounge it was so interesting. I may post up some more photos of it you :)

Pity about the stove though. Sniff.

My new Propane stove worked really well Chris, very happy with it :icon-biggrin: I did have a chuckle to myself when I looked round to see Giles filling, pumping and fiddling with his Coleman Petrol stoves while my own dinner was burning in the ferocious heat of a Propane flame :lol: He did demonstrate once they were lit how they stay alight when rolled on there sides though, handy I thought :think: whilst serving up my dinner :) ;)

That fence post was truly amazing. I would be happy to have it in the center of the lounge it was so interesting. I may post up some more photos of it you :)

Cant imagine your Mrs would be happy! :lol:

Go on post the rest of your pics of it I can tell your dying to and it did look like an interesting old thing! :icon-biggrin:

Steve, a C130 is a Hercules, I think. :think:

Back