Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tappet Adjusting Tool:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Folks,

Its time I checked my tappets as I think my 1KZ-TE with the recent Roughtrax head is a bit down on compression (it spins fast on the starter and doesn't start well - hot or cold).

I have looked on e-Bay for the special tool that compresses the bucket followers and there are loads of them (all made in USA). They all look like curvy pliers.

Problem: Some say "Not suitable for 3.0 litre diesels up to 1997". Now I'm not aware of any differences in the 1KZ-TE motor between 1997 and my 1998 one.

Has anyone got a bucket follower compressor (with the separate jamming device) and if so where did you get it and does it cover all years of 1KZ-TE ??

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Second Question: Is there a bucket full of assorted shims anywhere that I could have access to (I'll obviously pay for what I use)??

There are 18 different thicknesses and 8 valves and the shims are around £6.00 each :shock:.

I'm going to have to measure the valve clearances, remove the shims and see what I've got, then order the new shims of the appropriate thickness - which is a bit of a long-winded exercise.

Life used to be so simple when all I needed was a couple of spanners and a set of feeler gauges :icon-rolleyes:.

Bob.

Hey Bob, if I was still in the UK I would be able to sort you out the shims, I had loads laying around from my previous engine swap and just general messing about.

Can't really help you much, but are you sure you're down on compression, Have you checked with a compression gauge?

Can't really help you much, but are you sure you're down on compression, Have you checked with a compression gauge?

I'm not 100% convinced its compression and I'll be doing some investigation before I go buying anything. I do have a compression gauge but was going to check the valve clearances first.

It reminds me of a two-year-old Volvo 240 DL I bought in 1984. It wouldn't start well and spun quickly on the starter. Re-setting the valve clearances (also bucket tappets) sorted it and one could feel the "whump - whump - whump" of each compression stroke when starting. That is missing on my Collie :icon-rolleyes:.

I like to know what pitfalls await before starting a job - hence the enquiry.

It would help if there was a bucket of "Club Shims" that got passed around - take what you need and chuck your old ones back in, that sort of thing :lol:.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob.

Back