Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

Copied from Chris Blakemore on FaceBook. Worried about the spread of this virus yet?

World travel,

Flights

Shipping

flights.jpg
ships.jpg

Many of those flights will be cargo.

Large airlines like Emirates, Etihad and others have suspended all passenger flights.

Many of those flights will be cargo.

Large airlines like Emirates, Etihad and others have suspended all passenger flights.
That's good to hear.

Most airlines have been forced too by countries closing airspace to passenger traffic.

Frieght is carrying on as normal but shipping companies are starting to report problems as normal routes get disrupted.

If people thought the recession and subsequent austerity was bad, then the aftermath of this will be significantly worse

When ever i go out or visit the Butchers etc etc im the only one wearing a face mask.. It just baffles me that more people are not... Weather there is a debate regarding their effect, I dont know, but just out of respect to others i wear one...Round our way there are a lot of people who still do not think this is real... I notice the Media are using the word Tsunami to describe the virus in London ....

They do work if you would otherwise be sneezing in other people's faces. And they do work for you if they are the proper N95 jobbies, but those are tricky to get hold of just now.

We’re using disposable gloves when shopping and wiping trolley handles etc with either disinfecting wipes or spray and paper towell but not bothering with masks. Not necessary if you’re sticking to the 2m rule IMO and the cheap ones don’t work anyway.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My wife has to use a face mask because the idiots won't stay behind the line and she has nowhere to escape to when she's behind the till, wheather it does any good or not she microwaves it for 30 seconds every now and then, at least they have stopped taking cash.

If people thought the recession and subsequent austerity was bad, then the aftermath of this will be significantly worse
:text-goodpost:

Very true.

I think one of the many measures will be that the State Pensionable age will go past 70 years.

I think the SP age is heading in that direction anyway. I just scraped in with my birth date to get mine at age 66. Anyone a year older will have to wait till 67 and those even younger, 68.

I think the SP age is heading in that direction anyway. I just scraped in with my birth date to get mine at age 66. Anyone a year older will have to wait till 67 and those even younger, 68.
And me, I will just scrape in, just under a year to go, I'm going to spend it all on my LC, if we are aloud to dive by then:laughing-rolling:

As Spain finishes its second week of restrictions stories are emerging of frauds & companies taking advantage of the crisis.I had a call yesterday from a company that had seen my CV on the web & asked if i was available to start immediately & asked about my welding skills (MIG & MAG ) &if i was up for 10 hour shifts (compulsory overtime , paid at flat rate) i asked about pay & was told it was a labourers job....but labourers don't weld...that was the end of that.
Workers in manufacturing in the Basque country are planning protests today asking to be sent home , as the government has said it will pay most of the wages.Companies are resisting ,more concerned about profit than the health of their employees.
Fines here for being out without "good reason" start at 200€ & on up to 6000.But major call centres are open - had a call today trying to get me to upgrade my mobile package - along with the construction sector & a local road project still going full swing.The law has been framed in such a was as to be vague & if the copper you meet is having a bad hair day or doesn't like your face.... The Guardia Civil have visited the local fruit & veg shop & ordered the owner to throw away all the plants he had in stock "so people don't do a veg garden" irrespective of their lack of powers to do this & seemingly forgetting that lots of us have gardens on our properties or others with large balconies.
This sort of bullshit is in danger of undermining the mostly excellent sense of responsibility & solidarity shown so far.The most egregious cases of restrictions breaking are given wide publicity but the failings of the government less so.

As Spain finishes its second week of restrictions stories are emerging of frauds & companies taking advantage of the crisis.I had a call yesterday from a company that had seen my CV on the web & asked if i was available to start immediately & asked about my welding skills (MIG & MAG ) &if i was up for 10 hour shifts (compulsory overtime , paid at flat rate) i asked about pay & was told it was a labourers job....but labourers don't weld...that was the end of that.
Workers in manufacturing in the Basque country are planning protests today asking to be sent home , as the government has said it will pay most of the wages.Companies are resisting ,more concerned about profit than the health of their employees.
Fines here for being out without "good reason" start at 200€ & on up to 6000.But major call centres are open - had a call today trying to get me to upgrade my mobile package - along with the construction sector & a local road project still going full swing.The law has been framed in such a was as to be vague & if the copper you meet is having a bad hair day or doesn't like your face.... The Guardia Civil have visited the local fruit & veg shop & ordered the owner to throw away all the plants he had in stock "so people don't do a veg garden" irrespective of their lack of powers to do this & seemingly forgetting that lots of us have gardens on our properties or others with large balconies.
This sort of bullshit is in danger of undermining the mostly excellent sense of responsibility & solidarity shown so far.The most egregious cases of restrictions breaking are given wide publicity but the failings of the government less so.
As far as you and I have a bit of a different outlook, I do agree with you with regard to the 'Guardia Civil' they can be a bunch of thugs, I have had a run in with them, I think some of them are a throwback to the days of Franco.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that they all act like thugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me put it this way, my wife works in a food shop in a less salubrious area, she is having to take abuse on a daily basis, she is being sworn at and approached by idiots that will just not respect Social Distacing, just one incident today, a bloke approached the till with two pks of beers threw them on the counter, when asked to stand back he threw the cash at my wife told her to f off said something about Coroner Virus and stormed out of the shop with the beers, and btw he had his young Daughter in hand as well.

As far as you and I have a bit of a different outlook, I do agree with you with regard to the 'Guardia Civil' they can be a bunch of thugs, I have had a run in with them, I think some of them are a throwback to the days of Franco.

Just for the record, I'm not saying that they all act like thugs.
No they don't.As a volunteer in civil protection they're my fellow workers & on an individual basis 90% of en are fine but as an institution they're very much us vs them.In a tragicomic turn of events some years ago policia local were on strike in Madrid & held a demo without permission & the Policia National turned up & beat 7 bells out of em.
What happened toy your wife is totally unacceptable , absolutely no excuses.I?d be interested to know how management & the public responded.

+1 jj. Neighbours giving thumbs up to each other.
Great spirit and shoe of thanks.
Found it odd that a bungalow across the way which has had the sold board up for months, and been empty had its owners move in today ? How did they get a hire van?

No they don't.As a volunteer in civil protection they're my fellow workers & on an individual basis 90% of en are fine but as an institution they're very much us vs them.In a tragicomic turn of events some years ago policia local were on strike in Madrid & held a demo without permission & the Policia National turned up & beat 7 bells out of em.
What happened toy your wife is totally unacceptable , absolutely no excuses.I?d be interested to know how management & the public responded.

My comment about the Guardia Civil was based on your description of what happend to your local fruit & veg shop owner, and also the stories some acquaintances I have that live in Denia nr Alicante have told me.

To understand you would have to know the area this shop is in, my wife is the Assistant Manager then there is a Male Manager, and that it, this is a small shop, most of the normal public shall I say, dare not say a word, I know sum don't like anything said negatively about folk that are on benefits, but like I say you would have to spend a day in this area to understand. The smell that lingers all around of a certain 'Herbal Tobacco' is just the tip of the iceberg.

I am trying to be very diplomatic about this area that the shop is in so's not to upset members, the people that sell this 'Special Herb' and the other associated 'Special Powders' thay and their runners all live in this same area so you do not criticise, there is a very high demand and use for these Special items in this particular area.

We don't live in said area, but most of the people that work in the local shops in said area live locally so have to keep 'stum' or bear the consequences.

Get the picture. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 jj. Neighbours giving thumbs up to each other.
Great spirit and shoe of thanks.
Found it odd that a bungalow across the way which has had the sold board up for months, and been empty had its owners move in today ? How did they get a hire van?
Did they drive the hire van like they stole it. :laughing-rolling:

Well I'm back to work Monday, only 2 of us in the workshop out of 18! Manager and parts manager only.

We have a recall on the police fleet to do and essential/safety work on key workers vehicles.
We have to wear masks and gloves at all times, safety glasses when inside/driving a car.

No other employees allowed on site with written permission!.

Well I'm back to work Monday, only 2 of us in the workshop out of 18! Manager and parts manager only.

We have a recall on the police fleet to do and essential/safety work on key workers vehicles.
We have to wear masks and gloves at all times, safety glasses when inside/driving a car.

No other employees allowed on site with written permission!.
Good Luck, Stay Safe. :thumbup:

This is getting close to home, Maria's cousin died yesterday of the virus. He was 47 and had no underlying health issues.
I have to leave the house this evening for an MRI scan and have been told I must attend, so I will be careful but won't be leaving the house/yard for the foreseeable future.
Stay safe chaps and chapesses.

Back