Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Phoenix gets new boots

what size do they actually measure Chris?

looks good, will look even better though, IMHO once youve lifted it a bit more! :thumbup:

A little over 37" Ben. The All Terrains are 34.5".

I haven't finished with it yet, but don't want to lift it too much or it all gets a bit silly. I might just do a BL. It already has a 3" SL.

We'll see. Not rushing into anything.

Chris

mmm..........37's :drool:

i hope to get some for my truck one day! :pray:

With new diff ratios ......

Chris

OK, that look a bit better?

[attachment=0:1bh5v0er]P1000863.JPG[/attachment:1bh5v0er]

Attachments

• P1000863.JPG
    P1000863.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 232
Before:
file.php

And after:
file.php

You took the indicator out? No its an optical illusion that you can only see if you life the bonnet and remove the indicator :think:

:idea: So now you have to modify all those bumpers and sliders or you could make new ones and sell the old ones :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice try Rob.

Actually it's only gone up 40mm. I don't really like big body lifts but mild ones actually make a lot of sense. It certainly gives you better access underneath for other jobs. When you get beyond a couple of inches you start to run into all sorts of modifications that need doing. The front bumper was built with a lift in mind so that's fine. The rear one will just need a rubber strip. All worked out fine.

I have to drop the rad correspondingly tomorrow. It had to come out anyway so I took the opportunity to give it a good blast through. It was solid - again. Next time I'll remember to pull the blind down.

[attachment=1:29j6xfkq]P1000861.JPG[/attachment:29j6xfkq]

[attachment=0:29j6xfkq]P1000862.JPG[/attachment:29j6xfkq]

Attachments

• P1000861.JPG
    P1000861.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 218
  • P1000862.JPG
    P1000862.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 215
40mm, you would have thought that it would be easer to see it. I knew it was there but the proof was the rear bumper in relation to the rear quarter moulding.

It seems odd as the wheels look look smaller now, its funny how a set of 37s on an 80 don't look huge with a mild lift. Just reminds you have huge these trucks are.

I know. It's actually very apparent when you are standing there.

I think that it's something to do with the two tone on my truck Rob. Without the coloured arches it look really odd. But these new tyres sort of fill in the line. OK OK I know it sounds odd, but the truck does look very different.

Chris

Chris mate, just a quick relevant question. how did they balance those wheels. By the way I fitted the XZL's yesterday, picked up the diff from JW last night so MUD may be mobile today.

Andy :thumbup:

I didn't balance them. I spoke the the guys who said it would be meaningless to try. They reckoned that the amount of lead you need couldn't be fitted where it would be needed. Probably. They seem fine actually. Well, up to 50mph as you know. They did say that the Dynabeads would be a very good option.

Chris

Quick question for you chris

When you said that these types of tyre have a hard side wall,do you air the tyres down or just leave them at one pressure?

Karl

Chris said:
They did say that the Dynabeads would be a very good option
I was considering Dyna Beads myself not so long back but decided to not go ahead with them as people had had very mixed results using them and the overall feeling was that they are good for small imbalances but would struggle to correct anything that we would have in the way of an imbalance with our big old 4x4 tyres. Like I said though it was a mixed bag of results from everyone, with some reporting that they were pleased with the result after installing Dyna Beads. I do remember from when I looked into them, that you could get a set that was suitable for use in lorry/truck tyres, I'm not sure if the beads were larger or you just got more of them though. Others also reported using Pea Shingle, Marbles and Air Soft pellets to good effect as well. Something like this may be a more cost effective foray into Dynamic Balancing for a set of extream, occasional use Pay & Play tyres.

edit - Just found the thread where we discussed Dynamic Balancing, here's the link to it viewtopic.php?f=65&t=10452

PS - Nice looking tyres Chris :mrgreen: Shame you had to remove the plastic arches though, it would be nice to see them back on IMHO :)

Those tyres do look the dogs Chris, and I prefer the look of the 80's with the wheel arches removed. I took them all off mine after [strike:iebrbed7]ripping[/strike:iebrbed7] taking two off :oops: in the woods somewhere and thinking, That looks better :thumbup:

Rob said:
So what happened to the "sensible 80, went mad with mods on a 90 wont do it again"?

I remember him saying that to Rob, and how he did not want a bog monster like my green car.

Hmmm : Big lift - check, big tyres - check, winch - check, hacked rear cross member - check, JW diffs - check, dents - getting there :lol:

Ian

Go and make a sentence from the following

boil bucket head a go in your :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't want a bog gobbler actually but I enjoy P&P quite a bit and what I want is to be able to do some of things that I struggle with, easier but without having to go at them like a Landrover owner. I shall never be brave enough to follow in Ian's tyre tracks, that I can promise you. The idea of having the BFGs though is that it still makes a nice road car. I haven't fitted the 4" lift yet...........

Incidentally, I did NOT remove the arches. Not by choice anyway. Same as Chas.

Chris

Rubie Hill is next on the list Ian and then Chris can find and name a new one :mrgreen:

looks the dogs soft bits Chris :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: ..

that 80 is a credit to you ...you should give yourself a big fat pat on the back :cool: :cool:

Cheers boys. RH is NOT on the list. I have had my run in with that particular obstacle. I'd quite happily go down it but not up thank you very much. I'm a complete scaredy cat when it comes to going vertical.

Here's the truck with it's new BFs on.

[attachment=3:137qw1cb]P1000869.JPG[/attachment:137qw1cb]

The lift went OK in the end. I have done 4 or 5 of these now and still don't know how people claim to do one in an afternoon. Even without any major snags it's at least one very full day, if not a day and a half. OK fixed other stuff as I've gone along I suppose. Running very nicely on these ATs. Just needs the brake bias fixing and I think I have a rear ABS sensor on the blink, so I shall have to raid the spares box again.

I modded the top rad brackets. This mean that I don't have to faff around with Mr T's STUPID bobbin fixing again to take the rad out. It's a multi purpose thread this one - lift and tyres really. Here's how the lift has affected the gaps all round.

Bumper - front

[attachment=2:137qw1cb]P1000868.JPG[/attachment:137qw1cb]

Bumper - rear

[attachment=1:137qw1cb]P1000865.JPG[/attachment:137qw1cb]

Sliders

[attachment=0:137qw1cb]P1000867.JPG[/attachment:137qw1cb]

Attachments

• P1000869.JPG
    P1000869.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 279
  • P1000868.JPG
    P1000868.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 292
  • P1000865.JPG
    P1000865.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 274
  • P1000867.JPG
    P1000867.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 273
Sorry Karl, missed your post there buddy. Well I have only had them five mins, but Ian said he had them up at 40-45 for the road and around 20 off road. My Insas ran at the same sorts of pressures actually, but a rarely needed to air them down if I'm honest. It's more about rack crawling than mud trawling really. As both Ian and Andy have said, up to about 50 they not bad. After that it's like trying to ride bucking bronco who's going cold turkey after mainlining crystal meth for a month and who's just found a 'we called whilst you were out' note from the postman after waiting in all morning. You really just become a passenger.

Incidentally my British Chums, running the 34.5" BFGs on road with the standard diffs in is really very acceptable. Hard pushed to really notice the difference. But not done many miles yet at all. But nonetheless, hardly struggling. I guess that 4.1s are top end for 34s and 4.56s are bottom end. ie there's a quite a cross over. If you have a manual, I'd guess that sticking 4.1s from an auto would give you a similar feel. I guess it all depends on what you do with your cruiser and what you want from it. I really wanted to try the new rubber before I swapped the diffs. Good job there's a long weekend coming up. Looks like I shall be on my back with mud dropping in my eyes again :roll:

Kettle's on if anyone's ever passing.

Chris

Back