Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Unsafe wheels

Matt999

Country Flag
great_britain
My newly acquired cruiser has aftermarket alloy wheels on it with plastic trim which covers the hub bolts. I had this plastic trim off today and I noticed that there isn't an awful lot of thread holding each of the nuts on! :screamcat: (only about half of the depth of each nut is actually holding any thread) I'm guessing this isn't normal for a 80 (or any other car!) so what would the course of action be? I'm guessing the bolts are standard length?

Please help as I don't really want to be running around in a death trap!

Check out some photos that I took - http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/matt_bennett999/library/

Matt999

Looks like they may have spacers fitted Matt. The other possibility is that the wrong type of nut is used. Those nuts are not (unless I am mistaken) original 80 nuts. 80 Alloy wheel nuts have a section of thread that goes through the alloy wheel and holds with a flat flange and washer.

Looks like you need to get a wheel off and have a look, more photos (you can upload them straight on her if you like) and it may be you need to look at removing spacers or fitting a different type depending on what is needed for tyre clearance.

So, let's have some photos, the whole truck and its stance would be a good start, then have a wheel off and show us what's there.

Whatever you do, those nuts like that are dangerous, if I were you I would not drive it in that condition but get it sorted ASAP.

I agree with Rich, they don't look good at all.

Spacers could be the culprit, otherwise someone would have had to replace all the studs with shorter ones, which wouldn't make any sense at all.

The spacers should bolt on with the original studs and nuts, and have their own studs to bolt the wheels on. It could be (for some unknown reason) that the spacer studs are too short for alloys, but probably OK for steels.

Nice looking wheels though...

I agree with Rich, they don't look good at all.

Spacers could be the culprit, otherwise someone would have had to replace all the studs with shorter ones, which wouldn't make any sense at all.

The spacers should bolt on with the original studs and nuts, and have their own studs to bolt the wheels on. It could be (for some unknown reason) that the spacer studs are too short for alloys, but probably OK for steels.

Nice looking wheels though...

I agree Clive looks like a mod not done right.....great you noticed before bearing any pain. Best to take apart & inspect whats happened from stock then rectify. Certainly wouldnt feel comfortable to wanna drive anywhere like this. :fearscream:

I agree Clive looks like a mod not done right.....great you noticed before bearing any pain. Best to take apart & inspect whats happened from stock then rectify. Certainly wouldnt feel comfortable to wanna drive anywhere like this. :fearscream:

It's probably quite innocent....

I can visualize a label on the box that the spacers came in... "strictly for use with steel wheels only"

Ho-hum....

Could it be a base spec cruiser that came with steel wheels and shorter studs as standard ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd probably be looking for some standard rims. If it has spacers on and they are the type that use stud extensions then they are very dangerous. I had a rear wheel snap all six nuts off when I was on the road.

Ehhh-> Maybe try & keep the boat in the water??

It is by no means unheard of in the aftermarked automotove industry that AM rims, especially alloys have a thicker "backplate" which in turns means that more than once one would see that studs are too short.
On other vehicles they may be perfectly fine are the utilize (longer) bolts (instead of studs) as supplied with the rims.

Either fit spacers such as Clive described or replace the entire rim :)

Back