Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

!#@!! - Very scary noise under breaking!!!!!!!!!

Sam

Garage
On the way home from work, talking to the LC, I said I hoped it was getting on ok with everything Mr T had done in the service and explained that the trip was only a couple of weeks away now - so if there was anything I needed to know, now was the time to say otherwise we would be stuck.

5 minutes later I stopped at a roundabout.... and my heart sunk. Slowing is ok. Stopping is ok. It does both well. But it seems stopping now comes with a very loud creaking, groaning rubbing, generally horrible sound. :shock: :shock: :shock:

"That's new" I thought - and carried on.

I'm now back and after "several" stops, slow easy and faster abrupt ones, I can confirm It's not going away. :doh:

It only happens in the last moments as it comes to a stop - but it's consistently there.... and wasn't this morning or any time before. I've bounced on the [strike:g8yj239a]slider[/strike:g8yj239a] foot plate and suspension didn't creak... and there's no obvious play in the bearing that I can tell (without jacking).

I got someone to stop it for me while on the side of the road listening and it's on BOTH SIDES!!! :shock:

Now I'm very confused. Both brakes playing up? Both suspension springs gone at once? Doesn't seem plausible... I haven't hit anything or bumped anything... stumped! :?

Any obvious suggestions or known problems? Starting to panic now.... surely Mr T would have spotted something right!?! :shock:

Are your shiny new tyres rubbing on the UCA? Look for rub marks on them? Otherwise all I can think of is bushes? Or pads - but you had them checked, right?

Did you have new tyres fitted recently?

are they rubbing on something when breaking like mud flap fixing or plastic wheel arch liners :?:

Joe

Um - yep - check those pesky mudflaps - they bend in a bit and can get caught quite easily

only time I have had horrible noise is when there was a stone(s) in between the stone guard and the disk. Normally reversing rapidly cured it. Driven over stones lately?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds a lot like the trapped stone thing but its only there when I come to a stop... slow driving or breaking up until the point of actually stopping is quiet. And its on both sides the same... and only for the last 2 hours. Really stumped!

I'll go check for rub marks and the like and update in a bit..... had the tyres for over week now though so seems unlikely they would start rubbing today... :think:

Thanks chaps.

No rubbing. I've only got the standard mud flaps behind the wheel and I can barely bend them enough to get close to touching with my hands. There's oodles of room around the wheels.

No signs of anything touching anywhere. Really confused now :lol:

I went with the stock size tyres too so it's unlikely they should be causing a problem :think:

Think it's going to have to be a trip to Mr T tomorrow....

There are two pins which locate the front brake pads. There are held in place with a split pin (engine side). I've had it where the split pin went walk-abouts and the pin worked it's way loose. Maybe this is catching somewhere?

Are the pads new? Did they forget to put the anti-squeal shims back in? Maybe it's bedded in and the slower speeds and heat are enough to cause the vibration? I need a stabing-in-the-dark emoticon :mrgreen:

Does your abs disable in low box? Diff lock too?

Might be wrth stopping with abs switched off just to isolate it, straw grasping certainly but an easy check.

Could also try making it do the noise but turning while doing it to see if thats different.

might be that you have wear indicators on your front brake pads which tend to only be really noticeable as you come to a halt. They're little springy bits of metal designed to make a horrible noise and get your attention :)

Same noise in Low... turning makes no difference as it's only in the final stop motion.

I'm starting to think it's actually the weight of the LC shifting when it comes to a stop rather than a rub. I can't make it happen while its actually moving at any speed - only in the weight shift on stop. Forwards or backwards, gentle or heavy stop (worse if heavy stop obviously).

Mr T said they checked all the brakes in the service 2 weeks ago and they would all last for another 2 services - so I'm hoping they haven't missed something as ridiculous as low pads Jon!!! Although something that easy and final would be nice :lol:

Not new pads Crispin - but I will go on a loose pin hunt. Be odd for them to come out on both sides though.

I'm going to have to take it back and get them to check again. Thanks for all your ideas everyone - I'll keep this updated.

tail thump? - it's common (apparently) on the 120 and Hiluxes. It's the prop shaft which need some greasing on that [insert technical name] thing where it slides in and out. Feels like someone knocked you from the back.
Not noisy though (unless it could have something to do with the UJs as well?)

No thumpy bumpy stuff just the creaky grindy stuff.

Taken to Mr T.... they said "oh the squeak"... hmph... typical... all the way there it sounded like a dinosaur when I stopped... get to the car park and it's a squeak :roll:

The suggestion so far is that the clips on the brake pads probably need greasing. They wear a bit and when the weight of the LC shifts the pads move and "squeak". What I heard was not a squeak. But moving pads rubbing with the weight of the LC shifting on them could sound plausible.

Sounded enough like something Jon said so I left them the keys and came to work... they're going to "grease the clips".

Dropped a hint about the pads maybe being low and they said noooo we checked them. Gotta say though, my eyeballs are telling me different. But then my eyeballs haven't seen a confirmed set of low pads on an LC4 before so I shall bow to them knowing better than me.

Have to see where this goes. Does seem awfully strange that both sets of clips would decide they are loose and start moving about at exactly the same time? :think:

Sam said:
The suggestion so far is that the clips on the brake pads probably need greasing. They wear a bit and when the weight of the LC shifts the pads move and "squeak". What I heard was not a squeak. But moving pads rubbing with the weight of the LC shifting on them could sound plausible.
that's a new one, can't wait to hear if greasing your clips fixes it :lol:

You and me both Jon :roll: - here's hoping I misunderstood eh :|

Just got a call. It's ready to pick up. They have greased my clips and feel It's 100% now.

:shock:

must remember to grease my clips next time I have a funny noise then :lol:

Couldn't get there in time to pick it up so won't know about until the morning now. :angry-banghead:

Sure I'll sleep well tonight :roll:

Back