Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wedding Present Advice Please:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
Folks, I have a problem and need some suggestions.

My sister died of Cancer in 2000, leaving her husband and three boys.

My Brother-in-Law eventually met a nice lady and they have been together for a few years now.

They get married next month and my wife and I are going to the Reception. The 'event' will be held in the Taunton area of Somerset, we live on the outskirts of Edinburgh. We don't see them much but get on well and are delighted with this turn of events.

I emailed B-in-L and said "probably a silly question but what can we get you both as a wedding present??"

The answer is - "nothing".

They, like us, are mid - late 60s. five grown-up children and two Grandchildren. They have a large house in Somerset and another in Buckingham. In short, they have everything they need and probably need to shed stuff if they are now going to keep just one address.

I don't think that we can go down empty-handed and bottles or flowers is a bit old hat.

What does one get the couple who have everything ??

Help :think:.

Bob.

It's a difficult question that i asked myself twice a year every year for over a decade about the father in law . Now it's a no brainer we just take him to a restaurant . Of course that doesn't really help you given the distance but perhaps you could book them in somewhere for a nice evening meal say a month after the celebrations have passed . It's the gesture that counts and a meal for two really does show your whole hearted support and good wishes for the couple .

We had something similar with our wedding; we didn't ask for anything as we don't really know where we're going to be located, so anything big and bulky was just awkward.

So.... we still ended up with presents! My brother paid for the wedding car (as well as the cost of his flights from Aus back to the UK for him and his fiancée) which was pretty cool, we got a funny pair of penguins as a picture (which, as with all pictures, I'm sure has cost more to frame than the picture!) and possibly best of all, a quaich, which we used at the top table for every toast. Now given that you're coming down from Scotland, it's a small gift that has some meaning - for us Delz is a Scot whilst I was born only just in the UK (Penrith), so it makes sense for us.

Hope that helps a bit with ideas, our quaich came from one of Delz's old colleagues who was also a Scot...

I bought a bottle of the favourite tipple for my best man and ushers and had the outside of the bottle engraved with a meaningful message. Engraver was nervous putting it through his machine but it came out a treat and has remained a talking point ever since.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks - some interesting ideas there.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back