Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What a mistake that was ! Advice to come back required !

I have driven lots of cruisers and did find a 100 the other day I nearly brought but due to my operation could look underneath properly and the interior body needs a fair bit. although it was the best one I have driven and certainly the quickest I have been in.

Maybe I will go back in a week or 2.

Does the first 100s have a 2 pin front diff?

120s do go like stink but alot I have come across have been pretty rusty. they drive very well but not sure if they are much better then a 95 series

I do regret selling my 95 to you that was a big mistake and I would have that back for a family car tomorrow if it was offered.

I am off work at the moment Paul and moved near the airport so if you passing pop in for a chat.

Send me a PM on what one its was chap - there cant be that many about so I might have been under it already !

From what ive found up to 1999 / 2000 have the early 2 pin diffs and the weaker lower arms.

I know what you mean regarding the 120's - nice vehicles but are they 3 or 4 times nicer than a 95 to demand the price especially if im going to have to deal with rust in the coming years ?!

I think your / my 95 was one hell of a vehicle - it did everything and asked for nothing other than servicing and I think I took that for granted in all honest so now im stuck hunting the impossible !

Id certainly be interested in a catch up chap - I suspect ive been past the airport 4 times this month now to look at 100s !

I juggled the budget question many times because i struggle with the concept of a "Good" 20+ year old car .

How much is rustproofing
How much are new bushes
How much for new suspension
How much for a rebuild or recon engine

I have seen "good" 80's for sale that make all the above seem cheap . If a 120 is 3 /4 times the price of a 95 how much of the above would the money saved pay for ?

I am stuck with what i have simply because the newer trucks don't appeal to me but the cost of maintenance is pittance compared the purchase price of something newer .

Look at posts on the previous page with "the grass is always greener" in mind .

I know exactly what you mean !

Ive always been a "older cars are better" person for the reason they are cheaper, more diy friendly and less to worry about in general. If I could weld nicely or do bodywork there would not even be a seed of doubt but knowing the work and cost that starts when things get rusty is a genuine concern. Saying that though if the 120's are going to suffer in the coming few years ill have that same concern and cost but on somthing that has set me back alot more to start with !

I would love a 70s double cab but just to much when in this country.

I love the look of the 70 but do think they would be better with a coil sprung chassis. I would build one with a 105 chassis under it given free range

I think a d4d 95 would be a good shout.

They don't go for much now.

It's not worth the extra for a 120

I like the idea of a D4D 95 but at the same time I prefer the spec of the Prado version - less rust (hopefully) climate control, folding mirrors etc just no rear locker.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have never seen a d4d Prado 90 , i suppose they must exist but every one i've seen had a 1kz-te with a factory installed intercooler .

Or is that what your saying ?

Tis what im saying ;)

For what id use it for anyway the locker is neither here nor there and the mpg difference would be minimal. I think the KZ is alot more home mechanic friendly even if it does crack heads !

It's not obvious in the link i posted but the 79 miles is actually kilometers so whats that about 42,000 or something ?

About 50,000 miles :O
I was trying to work out what a TX Limited was - seems its wood trim, chrome rear lights, mirror on the tailgate and rear seat heating from what I can tell.
Id be more concerned its been sat up for long periods getting set in damp possibly ?

The blue one up the road from me is on about 75000 miles so still less than my old one and looks like it was imported a few years later too - tis even the same colour as my old one. Can you see where this might be going........

Im back officially :)

Picked up a bit of an odd Prado (95) today with a couple of issues but totally standard other than some heavy duty springs with under 100,000 miles.

Odd as in its registered as made in 1994, imported in 2004 but on a P registration.

Blue, 7 seater with the usual parking mirrors and odd front bumper but also has the idle up switch and the rear heating (which the last one didnt have).

Lots of history of oil changes, cambelts, brakes and usual service items and has also had a rebuilt gearbox with new torque converter.

Couple of oil leaks from engine and transmission areas and the centre diff lock seems to stick alot and takes some good time to get it to come out of lock but no rust etc so hopefully a good base. Plan is to get it checked over on a ramp in the coming week and then get a plan of what service items will be done (although I expect it will be all of oils and filters).

In the end it came down to needs vs cost - a 120 didnt seem to have much more than a 95 to me personally to justify the money and although the 100's are better specced finding a good conditionone for under 10k seemed impossible.

Before Clive gets here :D " Photos "
Sounds good Paul

Hope it works out well for you Paul :thumbup:

I wouldn't be in so much of a hurry to put it on the ramp because seals dry out when the cars not in use and often come good again with a bit of driving . I put seal conditioner/leak stop and whatever paraphernalia i could find at halfrauds into the mrs truck a few months ago despite having no leaks figuring it can't do any harm and the truck doesn't get used much .

No pictures as ive parked it at work sue to lack of driveway space and its only a couple of weeks until my current insurance policy runs out.

Ill get it up in the air just so I can get wheel bearings, suspension etc all checked and wheels offso I know what base im starting with along with where the leaks are from. I can then get taking pictures and asking questions !

Under 100,000 miles, Is this a Diesel? Congrats on finding one!

Indeed - I viewd an 07/08 invincible in gray with around 50,000k and is alot of kit and very nice but couldnt justify the money for what it is and how much id use it :)

Back