Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What practical differences might leaving the EU bring us?

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Forget all the business related stuff and the political hoo-hah. What does it actually mean for everyday life?

I have to say I can hear the conversation in my head already..

"What's that Sir? You want to travel with your vehicle, in the EU. No Sir, I'm sorry but your insurance doesn't cover you for that. Of course it could do, but we've spotted the opportunity to make money on this by charging you extra for things that were always included. You'll need to buy the add on European insurance. Oh and the EU road tax supplement. And you'll need to register in and out of the EU of course and you can only go for 90 days before you have to come back. And all modifications must have an engineer's report. Then there's the EU carbon tax duty you'll need to pay. The EU breakdown and recovery supplement and ....."

"Sir, are you still there..."

Forget all the business related stuff and the political hoo-hah. What does it actually mean for everyday life?

"What's that Sir? You want to travel with your vehicle, in the EU. No Sir, I'm sorry but your insurance doesn't cover you for that. Of course it could do, but we've spotted the opportunity to make money on this by charging you extra for things that were always included. You'll need to buy the add on European insurance. Oh and the EU road tax supplement. And you'll need to register in and out of the EU of course and you can only go for 90 days before you have to come back. And all modifications must have an engineer's report. Then there's the EU carbon tax duty you'll need to pay. The EU breakdown and recovery supplement and ....."

there is a long way to go before the UK leaves - parliament has to vote on it & remain MPs are in the majority .now the real battle begins...

Higher costs for using your mobile in europe
No entry into the eurovision song contest
Kicked out of the european football competition thing

:tearsofjoy:

I can imagine that the rest of Europe will launch a sort of backlash, and freedom to travel will be an easy target.

TBH I don't see much of a future for the EU which means it will go back to a free-for-all with each country dictating its own terms. Good or bad, it won't have any common base anymore, so a lot more searching for the rules and regulations.

But I recon that's a long time in the offing, yet inevitable IMO.

Here in Romania, there's a Vignette system where traveling outside of the zone of registration costs. It's not crippling, but the fines are high if you forget to renew it.

They make more money from the fines than from the fees, which is typical here.

:lol: :clap:

But on the plus side.........................................

Toyota could finally start selling the 70 series range in the UK, free of the EU restrictions! :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What a PITA :icon-neutral:
borrowed from today's Guardian Cameron’s statement that he would trigger article 50 was in part made to dramatise the irreversibility of Brexit. This starts a two-year negotiation with the EU that must end with the UK’s ejection, unless the union unanimously agrees to extend the negotiations at the two years’ end.
The UK then formally leaves once a deal – which requires the support of the UK and a “qualified majority” of the remaining 27 member states (specifically, 20 of them, comprising at least 65% of their population) is struck.
If at the two years’ end neither a deal nor an extension has been agreed, the UK automatically reverts to World Trade Organisation rules, meaning the UK faces tariffs on all the goods it sells to the EU. So if the UK triggers article 50, Britain will have wilfully leapt on to a conveyor belt that ends with the EU holding all the bargaining chips. Even in spite or out of despair, it is doubtful Cameron would wish to step immediately on to such a conveyor belt.

Good point Ben. Can I get a blue one?

They only come in Blue Chris! :shifty:

As a plus we can ban the import of that sh1t Belgium/French beer Stella

This could have put pay to retiring in Spain in a few years then....

'Fraid not Tony as they only brew that shite in Northampton along with XXXX, Carling, Heinykan and all the other disgusting stuff that has to be so cold you can't taste it.

Last edited:
Higher costs for using your mobile in europe

:tearsofjoy:
Higher costs for using your mobile in Europe

So that's two out of three good things, I can live with that.

Reactions: Pat
'Fraid not Tony as they only brew that shite in Northampton along with XXXX, Carling, Heinykan and all the other disgusting stuff that has to be sold so cold you can't taste it.
Booo, although I an sure Stella is brewed in Leuven

FT.jpg

is from a comment on the FT earlier today, i didnt write that, but its a eloquent summary of one nuance in the overall play.

Speaking as an outsider to this kerfuffle, in terms of travel, I would imagine a situation similar to Switzerland or Norway. There will still be a common travel area - must be between Republic & Northern Ireland at least. Likely that the changes on that front will be minimal. Already have to show your passport at Dover etc. anyway. Insurance cover might be interesting, but again, I'm sure the Shengen free travel area type deal will cover it. The lack of a land border (except in Ireland) removes a lot of complexity

Norway is pretty hard to get into unless you have a EU passport. As is the US now. They collect a lot more data and get in the way a -lot- more than for folks with an EU passport. Plus, there are restrictions on how long one can be there and what you can do while there etc.

Europe was covered in cracks then a huge chunk fell off yesterday. The rest will crumble.

x 2. I also think the EU as it stands today will fall apart like a cheap watch but hopefully will be reborn without the bureaucratic meddling and the threat to member's individual sovereignty from the suits in Brussells. Isn't that what it was like originally when we joined in the 70's?

Last edited:
Back