Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What practical differences might leaving the EU bring us?

I'm with Towpack the failed project will be recycled rather than abandoned .

I bet the classic car lobby are arming themselves to do battle over what a classic is . Without investigating i think it was the EU that said anything built after 1972 can never reach classic status .

Might that result in a happy consequence of Brexit ?

I bet the classic car lobby are arming themselves to do battle over what a classic is . Without investigating i think it was the EU that said anything built after 1972 can never reach classic status .

Might that result in a happy consequence of Brexit ?

Is that your headline happy consequence?

It got changed to a 40 year old car at the last budget. Nothing to do with the EU.

well lets not let facts get in the way of a good story :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It was a question not a headline and obviously not as profound as the worry that a piss up in Ibiza might cost a few quid more .

However if you want a story try this - I have just returned from taking our daughter to the doctors , he could not find her blood pressure but according to her he said with a smile "don't worry i can use my old machine which always works now we are out of the EU "

Should couldn't elaborate further other than to say it was something to do with mercury ?

As someone who had the pleasure of working in the teams that ended up having to clean up the NHS IT mess that was created when £2 Billion worth of money was thrown away at random crap, I can assure you the NHS information messup has nothing to do with the EU - it was entire home grown here in the UK.

The total extent of the clean up that was done too was just to kill anything non functional to try and tie up lose ends and fall back to a bare minimal viable project.

Yep, I'm getting my canoe out before the borders close.

Incredible how no one could really say for sure what would happen if we stayed or went, but today everyone seems to be really clear. Clear to the point that some have already said that knowing what they have learned today, they'd have voted to STAY!!!!!

It's almost as if they'd been lied to.

It was a question not a headline and obviously not as profound as the worry that a piss up in Ibiza might cost a few quid more .

However if you want a story try this - I have just returned from taking our daughter to the doctors , he could not find her blood pressure but according to her he said with a smile "don't worry i can use my old machine which always works now we are out of the EU "

Should couldn't elaborate further other than to say it was something to do with mercury ?

Yes, good story. Of course we haven't left the EU. I'd worry about a doctor with such a basic understanding of how it works.

As someone who had the pleasure of working in the teams that ended up having to clean up the NHS IT mess that was created when £2 Billion worth of money was thrown away at random crap, I can assure you the NHS information messup has nothing to do with the EU - it was entire home grown here in the UK..

Oi! I wrote some of that random crap. Which I suppose proves your point.

Don't think we'll see any practical difference for years.

The EU looks certain to disintegrate (France, Italy, Netherlands shouting for their own referendum today) amongst a backdrop of unrest and terrorism across Europe (note the US warning this week) Greece will most likely default this summer taking the next teir with them, IMF has been putting out notice they won't bail em (here and here), that would be the excuse for global financial meltdown, the warmongering rhetoric is already winding up a gear (here and here), I fear history is about to repeat it's self, likely before article 50 negotiations get anywhere.

We ain't seen nothin yet.

As someone who had the pleasure of working in the teams that ended up having to clean up the NHS IT mess that was created when £2 Billion worth of money was thrown away at random crap, I can assure you the NHS information messup has nothing to do with the EU - it was entire home grown here in the UK.

The total extent of the clean up that was done too was just to kill anything non functional to try and tie up lose ends and fall back to a bare minimal viable project.

Can we just wind this back to GoK's post for a minute.
I'd just like to say thank you and bl@@dy well done to you and your fellow GoKs for sorting out the NHS IT mess as, as far as I can tell, it seems to be working well whenever I've encountered it these days.
:text-thankyoublue::bow-blue:

Secondly, the earlier post in the FT, paints rather a grey picture as there is nothing to stop people going to whatever country they choose and building a life there with relationships, opportunities careers, the lot. Good immigrants are good for countries where they are welcomed and needed. Ben in Oz is a prime example. He has skills that we could use here, but something made Australia more appealing than the UK. Maybe that situation can be reversed now.

My first memory of the "beginning" and I may be totally wrong, was Ted Heath expounding on the benefits of the Common Market. That as it was had to be a good idea, except that somehow, that meant we had to cut or reduce our trade with the commonwealth countries. For me, it's fine having trade agreements, but being bullied into giving up your long established trading was the thin edge of the smelly wedge.

After that, the quite innocent term Common Market seemed to drift into European Union, which is far more sinister and far reaching.

Suddenly, we're heading to be a member state, which for me was abhorrent. We're a country for goodness sake, and not only, we're our own Union of the U.K.

I cant pretend that I wasn't a supporter of either Brexit or Remain, I was still stuck on the fence, but I must admit to being shocked by the result. Our exit will take years, but that may be a good thing. Releasing the ties one at a time and replacing them with something better.

If the politicians play their cards right, and put some effort into creating better circumstances than the EU was offering, plenty good could come of this. Otherwise, we're in danger of being like a small iceberg, drifting away from everyone else and melting away in the process.

"Seize the day" someone once said in Latin, let's make the best of the new opportunities that await us, not get bogged into gloom and doom of what we've just voted away. It shouldn't be a case of making the best of the end of something, it should be the challenge of making the best out of a new beginning.

Kinda drifted off the theme of the thread here, sorry Chris, but who really knows what lies ahead? We can only speculate at this stage.

As usual, the markets got it all wrong, so a few will lose a packet in the first months, can't cry for them for long though. :lol:

This is it for me, and I remember Farrage confirming this, that the Common Market trading agreement is what had the backing of the British people, the free trade area deal should still be on the table as we have not rejected it. How this pans out in reality is anybody's guess. Whatever happens, it should not be to the detriment of other trade deals with non EU countries.

Can we just wind this back to GoK's post for a minute.
I'd just like to say thank you and bl@@dy well done to you and your fellow GoKs for sorting out the NHS IT mess as, as far as I can tell, it seems to be working well whenever I've encountered it these days.
:text-thankyoublue::bow-blue:

Secondly, the earlier post in the FT, paints rather a grey picture as there is nothing to stop people going to whatever country they choose and building a life there with relationships, opportunities careers, the lot. Good immigrants are good for countries where they are welcomed and needed. Ben in Oz is a prime example. He has skills that we could use here, but something made Australia more appealing than the UK. Maybe that situation can be reversed now.

On the second part of the above, my departure from the UK 15 years ago was all my own doing. I got no assistance from any EU regulations, with the exception of the double taxation agreement, but I think that was a UK incentive and not an EU directive.

As far as I'm aware, US citizens living and working overseas are compelled to pay income tax twice, however permanent their stay outside the US may be.

A Land Cruiser, one marriage and a great kid later, I have no regrets leaving :lol:

Good immigrants are good for countries where they are welcomed and needed. Ben in Oz is a prime example. He has skills that we could use here, but something made Australia more appealing than the UK. Maybe that situation can be reversed now.

Thanks Rich. :thumbup:

My biggest reason for leaving was that I genuinely couldnt see a future for myself in the UK! :cry:

I could see the way things were going and couldnt see how I would ever earn a decent wage or be able to get where I want to be in life in the UK! :thumbdown:

I will always love the UK and retain my close ties and I really really hope this is the turning point it needed and will become a great country again! :pray:

But I wont be leaving this country anytime soon, for me this is the greatest country in the world and I love it!! :flags-australia:

To be clear, I hope the situation where the UK loses talented well skilled people will be reversed. It would of course be great to have Ben back here but that was not what I meant, though a country in a good state that would be good enough to attract him (and others) back would be a huge success IMO.

It'll be interesting seeing how it pans out.

I can think of a few things where we might be on the back foot / without a foot;
Cell roaming: it was the EU who collectively said to cell operators "get your act together and make it reasonable". Stuff like that becomes difficult. We have to gather the troops, get them all to agree and then crack on. If we went to a country outside of the European continent and said "you need to tell your big business they must treat roaming fairly" I suspect we'll get nowhere fast.

Another thing which I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed about will be the removal of a lot of the EU laws. For example @Ben 's point about the 70 series. Why would they? Why bring back something which is dangerous? The no-vacuum-cleaner-over-2KW - why? What's the point of relaxing that? Gains nothing, is not actually a bad thing and it'll stay.

Google and Microsoft have received a few black eyes from the EU over their practices. Will we be able to do the same? Do we have the leaders the will balls to actually make it happen? (I really don't think so)

Finally, the EU is more cared about data protection and privacy than the UK is. They were trying to water down a few of their laws so that they can have more access to your information. Without the EU do we trust our own masters? Not a sausage.

What we might get is straight bananas.

Back