Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What we did last weekend.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Went a bimble around Northumberland lanes last weekend.
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-04 at 08.20.33 (2).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-04 at 08.21.18 (2).jpg
IMG_0830.JPG

Last edited:
"Did the Golf make it all the way round?"
My exact thoughts when I looked at the pictures....
We were headed back from Scotland via a stop at the aircraft museum at Elvington ... found very little public accessible off road in Scotland in the area where we were....

We're not exactly spoiled for choice with routes in England but it's a different situation north of the border. As a two wheeled offroader/green laner I've enquired several times about vehicular access to overland tracks and trails in Scotland and been told there are virtually none, apart from paid access to some private estates for pursuits like Deer stalking etc. The "Freedom to Roam" act specifically excludes motorised vehicles and the NERC act of 2006 applies only to England and Wales. Shame because there are some great looking tracks that just disappear off into the distant moorland.

As someone who also enjoys the hills, its a good thing that vehicle access isn't permitted under RtR. After seeing first hand the atrocious state spots are, and have been left in through dirty camping, car based predominantly, because they cant be arsed or unable to carry all the cheap Aldi/argos/sports direct shite and the kitchen sink they have to take, its always a minority that ruin it for others. Habitats that take long time to develop, SSSIs, ground nesting birds would be at increased risk. The flecking idiots tried hacking chunks off trees to burn their beer cans. Would only take a member of the banger disco crew or some scrote to "explore" off a track to piss off the land owners. Won't be long though before there is a train, lift, engineering solution to get lazy or unable to the top of every peak because they feel they should be able to experience the same as everyone else.

Last edited:
It was just such behaviour that brought an end to Summer wild camping around Loch Lomond some years ago and it was predominantly locals who were responsible. Buy a cheap tent and basic camping gear, several dozen cans of beer, head out for a boozy weekend and just walk away at the end of it leaving a mountain of crap behind. Even the islands in the Loch didn't escape. As you say, it's the usual case of the mindless minority spoiling it for everyone.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For clarity we were not looking to camp....we had 2 x Willys Jeeps and an 80's G waggon and were looking for unpaved roads .... just to gain a bit of altitude.... we had Hotels and Lodges for every night because Scottish weather and a canvas roof with no doors or real windscreen wipers and no heater mean even in a warm autumn a nice hot shower is welcome after a days driving.
Interestingly all the locals we met were critical of the types who come out of the towns and camp/leave a mess and much more supportive of those who travel up to visit and are well equipped and looking for peace and quiet .
Roads round Mull were brilliant.... the "Sky Fall " road is also worth a drive.... as others have mentioned secluded campsites often held hidden surprises of rubbish and worse from previous occupants

A bit closer to home there's a moorland single track near us that was closed for a few months earlier this year due to vehicle damage. It's a track I use on the dirt bike. I came past it last Winter on the road bike an saw 4x4's going up the hill, 3 abreast, engines screaming, tyres spinning throwing mud everywhere and cutting deep ruts.:rage:
I stopped and took out my phone but they were too far up the hill and covered in mud to get the number plates.
I remember thinking at the time that this'll end up being closed and sure enough, a few weeks later it was.
Thankfully Sheffield City Council have taken a common sense approach and are implementing a TRO which will close the track from October 1st to May 31st every year EXCEPT SOLO MOTORCYCLES! :greetings-clapping: A result I think!:thumbup:
As if tracks like these aren't under enough pressure from local NIMBY's and sanctimonious walkers without mindless activity from knobheads on 4wheels.

Something a bit different today - driving around the northern coast of the Isle of Man... (in the Jimny, don't hate me!).

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 18
Back