Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's NOT to like about the Oztent?

I watched the clip, looks lovely but just thought it odd that he had to kneel to show the sleeping part. The only Oztent that I've been in was a 5, which is the same height as a 4 at 1.9m, and I could stand up normally.

I'm sue you're correct though and I look forward to the piccies when it arrives.

Richard, we will only know when it comes. But I have just watched an RV2, 3 and 4 video and they all seem to be the same height. One bloke was 6'5". It was all in one package which I liked. Having the front enclosure with full mud wall does take a bit of pressure off the bedroom having to be too tall.

Yes Warren he was laughing when I spoke to him. Blimey he said I have the order in my hand and was just about to ring when you called. Guess they're selling well then.

Richard, we will only know when it comes. But I have just watched an RV2, 3 and 4 video and they all seem to be the same height. One bloke was 6'5". It was all in one package which I liked. Having the front enclosure with full mud wall does take a bit of pressure off the bedroom having to be too tall.

Yes Warren he was laughing when I spoke to him. Blimey he said I have the order in my hand and was just about to ring when you called. Guess they're selling well then.
Looks like a hybrid Chris, width of a RV3/4, depth between the two and height of an RV1. You may not be able to use your camp bed front to back because of the sloped back and at 1.4m high at the front of the bedroom iirc you won't be able to stand in the bedroom part.

Jon, I wish I could find at least two sets of dimensions that agreed with each other. I asked him very clearly and he said it was an RV4. Now, if it's not and it doesn't work for me they can have it back. I'd do a swap for an RV4 and all the bits if necessary.

But again watching the film, it looks tall enough. Soory meant to say in some of the shots it does. I wondered if they mixed old shots with new. With the awning out horizontally the height looks right. But there there are other shots that it looks a foot smaller.

I'm going to ring him again.

Last edited:
Rang him. Very good about it and he's ringing Oztent now. Said it was RV4 but then listening to me he said Ahh, see what you mean. It doesn't quite stack up does it. So we're on hold for a second. Good because I am not in Tuesday to take delivery. But I'm in Weds

Thanks Jon. It is quite confusing.

As well as looking at the dimensions I am looking at the pictures of it set up. Slightly odd design that the width tapers to only 2.15 at the rear from 2.4 at the front but the taper is visible in the pictures. Height wise the main part of the tent (bedroom) looks just like an RV1. I have had RV3,4 & 5, the main tent part is much taller on those. The height of the peak and front of the awning might be the same as RV3/4 but not the bedroom.

EDIT: good that he's checking with Oz Tent, might save you some hassle :thumbup:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok the jury has returned. And it's official. It's not an RV4. The pictures and dimensions don't stack up. That 2.15 is incorrect and is more like 1.15. They have been great about it and very pleased that you guys especially JW twigged. They would have had it back and they were clear about that so this has saved them money. I liked the zip in ground sheet. You can't get that currently. So I have ordered the floor saver too. and the fly plus the sides and front. Hey let's go for it. It will be cheaper than the anniversary edition all in. Real shame. But one of the key factors was the ability to stand up inside. OK we could have slept in the front and the kids in the back, but for a quick trip, with only the rear section, I'd be staggering around with one leg in my trousers.

It's this shot that had me fooled.

Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 16.21.43.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like good customer service that does. I reckon the 2.15 is the width of the tent at the back, not the height, it appears to be a tapered design so the further back you go the narrower it gets. So have you gone for an RV4? They are a nice tent to add to your collection :lol:

Very helpful and nice people. They had a problem though. Some of the bits I ordered are coming this week so were out of stock. he offered me a deal on an RV5 but I was mindful of what you'd said about the design and it being a possible weakness on the larger model so I just said RV4. It's all coming Friday!

The present wife is Googling ferries and campsites in France. I have 2 weeks blocked out for me in my diary and she's working out fuel costs. Err all I did was buy a new tent.

Sorry Jon collection? Errm what collection is this then? :eusa-whistle:

The rear part of that is no bigger than a RV3, think I will stick with my RV5

What did he offer you on the RV5?

RV4 would also be fine for me, but its the $$$.

I dont have a roofrack, but could strap it to the roofbars for journey to site and back.

Pete

edit - Norwich camping, bought my stretcher off them, great company.

Last edited:
nice one:thumbup:

I had the same dilemma recently. for a family of 4 RTT are just too heavy IMHO, so that left an Oz tent or airbeam. The airbeam had the attraction of a family living space which would have been mucho extra beans for the OZ tent. An airbeam came up at a very good price so I bought it. Thinking I may have made the wrong choice now!!! Only put it up in the garden so far, but it took 30 minutes! Sure it will get better with time but can't see it ever being as quick as an OZ tent. I will get an adapter so I can inflate the beams from my compressor which will save heaps but even so, I think I may end up with an OZ tent in a few years time!! Also the fabric is much thinner than an OZtent, it's really a campsite tent rather than an expedition tent.

In the meantime, here's mine in the garden, can we have some piccies of your OZ tent please!!
IMAG04511_zps4a4ec32d.jpg
IMAG0453_zps7ab28880.jpg
IMAG0454_zpsdb8354d1.jpg

Of course. If it's dry on Friday, I'll pop out for 30 seconds and set it up.

Of course. If it's dry on Friday, I'll pop out for 30 seconds and set it up.

:lol:

Its the quick setup time that sold it to me! :clap:

I'm going to be camping everynight for a few weeks in September/October on my trip across the Simpson desert and the idea of faffing around every morning and evening putting tents up and down really doesnt appeal to me! :thumbdown:

So the Oz tent should be perfect with its super quick setup time! :icon-biggrin:

I just wish they were still Australian made as I'd much rather keep my fellow countrymen employed and keep my hard earned money in Australia, but oh well! :|

Just food for thought but these are the latest and best prices in SA for an Oztent RV5 and accessories

Rv5 R9000 £499
Peaked Side Panel Kit R2790 £154
Front panel R1440 £79
Fly Sheet R1170 £64

Makes me sick

That is a stark difference. Sounds like you might be sending stuff over by the container load warren! ;)

Just food for thought but these are the latest and best prices in SA for an Oztent RV5 and accessories

Rv5 R9000 £499
Peaked Side Panel Kit R2790 £154
Front panel R1440 £79
Fly Sheet R1170 £64

Makes me sick

jeez, thats cheap!!

My, there is quite a lot of it, isn't there.

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 16.06.21.jpg

Nearly had heart failure. Only half of it turned up. I went nuts. Turns out the rest was coming from BOAB. Half an hour later, Mr Grumpy turns up with the rest.

Almost 30 seconds later .......

Screen Shot 2014-06-13 at 16.06.38.jpg

Yes from bag to up it is very quick, but you can't just sit straight down and crack a tinny. There is pegging to be done and a bit of rigging to get things square. I can just stand up in the very front section and I'm 6.0 just. In the peaked awning section I most certainly will. There is plenty of room inside for 2 good beds and your kit.

It is the fastest erection I've ever had.

Mind you there was that time with the Jane Fonda work out video ....

You can usually fit a lot/all of the accessories in the same bag as the main tent and as has been mentioned leave the fly attached.

Yes I can see that Jon. The front cross bar from the panel set for sure. Bit of a marathon on first set up with a billion pegs and a million guys but I don't need to do that again
Sitting here in the awning having a beer whilst it pusses it down! Nice. With beds in it only sleeps two for sure. 4 would have to be exceedingly good friends
I don't like it as much as my bell tent though
I do think the bus shelter bit though will be a very fast set up and good for fast set up and tear down

Back