Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What's the best mobile provider in Wales?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
My mobile phone contract is due for renewal and I thought before I went ahead and just renewed with O2 I'd check to see if anyone has any opinions or experience of what providers work best in and around Wales as O2 have not been great for me when driving up and down the valleys over the years!

If there's not much in them then I'll stick with O2, but wondered if anyone had any experiences of using Orange/EE and or Vodafone in the more remote areas.

I've read favorable reports on Vodafone in north Wales and would expect EE to have the best coverage as it came about from the merger of Orange & T-Mobile did it not?

It wouldn't matter who I was connected to in my everyday use as down here in Essex I would expect them all to work equally as well as each other.

Orange/EE is the best in North Wales. In my office is the only network that has signal and its the network that the Police use for their mobile phones. For the last 15-20 years its been the best coverage in North Wales.

Don't know if you are aware but if you need to use your phone in an emergency to call 999 and its showing no bars/signal then try anyway as the phone will roam for a signal from any net work and if it finds one then it will piggy back the call on that network. However, it's a oneway deal so make sure you get ALL your information across as they won't be able to call you back afterwards until you get a signal on your network.

Richie

Time to get that Sat Phone Steve. After the incident we had, I don't rely on std mobiles anymore when out and about in the boonies.

After 7 trouble free years with o2 i went to orange/ee/t-mobile (signal provider changes constantly) and quickly regretted it . Text messages to or from might arrive a day later or not at all and regularly losing signal altogether usually about 11pm for an hour or so was very common , and this is just while sat at home . Back on o2 now and won't be changing anytime soon . Vale of Glamorgan or South Wales if you prefer .

With a thurya sat phone you can just pop in your O2 sim and you can use the satellite network. No need to keep topping up that thuraya credit to keep the sim live. Charges will obviously be ridiculous regardless of which way you go. Also calling the emergency services from a sat phone is not that easy, you need to know the complete number as 999/112 will not work.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've been finding lately that it's not always the network but sometimes the phone that you have not getting signal/sending messages etc.

Always worth knowing where the antenna is in your phone and try and not keep your hand over it when in use. Think the iPhone suffered from a problem with the antenna and signal when it first came out?

R

I had heard that Orange is the way to go, but I'm not certain I understand the whole Orange & EEelastionship and what's going to happen to Orange when it's been completely absorbed by EE?! I think what I'm really concerned about is making an emergency call if the need arises and if it really does not matter whom your connected to when making a 999 call as it would be like having a SIM card for each provider in this instance and would not matter who one was connected to. I think what I shall be doing is connecting with Vodaphone on the basis that they are offering the package that I want for the least at this moment in time. Unlimited min and texts with 1GB of data for just £16 a month on a 12month contract. What I have done though is apply to O2 to have my phone unlocked to work with a SIM card from any provider, so that I can buy a Pay As You Go SIM from anyone should I feel the need to.

what do you reckon?

Fonerange very cheap dual sim tough phones get unlimited wifi on 1 sim and unlimited calls and text on the other or whatever works for you . I just bought one because i cannot find any negative customer feedback how rare is that .

Back