Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel refurb......

For a high class job on Cruiser alloys that lasted 10 years before I had them done again I would recommend Metal Magic in Barnsley.

http://www.metalmagicwheelrefurb.co.uk/

As far as I know they do not do a drive in/one day service but the standard of work is very high.

Hope this helps

Andy

Thanks. Just looked on their website and they do offer a drive in service at small extra cost but their prices are still competative to what I've been quoted. Problem is I don't have a spare set of wheels to use and don't want to faff about having one wheel done at a time. I'll give them a call tommorow.

Last edited:
That place out near Liverpool does a replacement service. You get the new ones, box up yours and send them back. My neighbour got some for her Colorado and I have to say they were very impressive. Like brand new. You could not tell they had been refinished. Still look mint a year on. Only do sets of four though IIRC. I believe they were £246 all in.

Phil, I have a full set of alloys sitting here if you needed to borrow a set. As long as yours were roughly the same condition. We aren't far apart geographically.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks very much for the offer but I think I'm gonna take try the Barnsley refurbishers.
They offer powder coating of 4 wheels to a colour of your choice for just under £230 and they seem to have a good name. That's a drive in/out service and they do the rest. They're pretty busy at the mo so looking at early May but I'm in no desperate rush.

Cheers

Phil

Phil
Isnt there a firm in Ashton does them for a load less than that.?

A post from Gav:
Chicago Coatings in Ashton under Lyne - I'll have to dig their details out but they do come up on the search engines... Mark or Roy

They do a great job but can't/don't do metallic finishes; they shot blast on site
icon_cool.gif

£15 a piece for 16" rims
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No worries. Offer's always there if you get stuck.

C

They're the ones Ade but they won't do a drive thru service...

You have to drop them off without tyres off so you'd need to factor costs for that in unless you have a friendly garage bloke who'd do it for now't for you :icon-wink:

Phil
Isnt there a firm in Ashton does them for a load less than that.?

A post from Gav:
Chicago Coatings in Ashton under Lyne - I'll have to dig their details out but they do come up on the search engines... Mark or Roy

They do a great job but can't/don't do metallic finishes; they shot blast on site
icon_cool.gif

£15 a piece for 16" rims
icon_mrgreen.gif

It might be worth noting that places advertising refurb often do little else so are unlikely to be cheap because thats where they get their main income . Almost every accident repair shop has the equipment to refurbish wheels so if theres one near you maybe you could just drop a wheel at a time in which keeps you mobile and as they are very probably already being paid by an insurance company to fix another wheel at the same time you might get a good deal .

You have to drop them off without tyres off so you'd need to factor costs for that in unless you have a friendly garage bloke who'd do it for now't for you :icon-wink:

Finally got my refurbed wheels fitted, only been on for two days, they look good BUT they are already chipped around the rim from standing in my garage before the tyres went on, they hadn't been moved around just stood standing and stood on the inside rim, so not too impressed with the quality of finish. I'm not really complaining though because they were cheap. I got the five rims on eBay for £54 (I was the only bidder, I think maybe others here restrained from bidding :thumbup:) and the coating was £15 per wheel, so that's a total of £129 or less than £26 per wheel. :icon-cool:

20130803_155600_zpseb5b1e09.jpg

Finally got my refurbed wheels fitted, only been on for two days, they look good BUT they are already chipped around the rim from standing in my garage before the tyres went on, they hadn't been moved around just stood standing and stood on the inside rim, so not too impressed with the quality of finish. I'm not really complaining though because they were cheap. I got the five rims on eBay for £54 (I was the only bidder, I think maybe others here restrained from bidding :thumbup:) and the coating was £15 per wheel, so that's a total of £129 or less than £26 per wheel. :icon-cool:

20130803_155600_zpseb5b1e09.jpg

Looking good though Chas, like the black against the red car!

Looking good though Chas, like the black against the red car!

I like the look of them OK, I'm a bit concerned what they'll look like after some muddy holes that have a few stones mixed in. :think:

I like the look of them OK, I'm a bit concerned what they'll look like after some muddy holes that have a few stones mixed in. :think:

You'll never know till you do it Chas. I had my steels meticulously sand blasted, primed, powder coated and kept under cover in my shed and even they are showing signs of rusting where the wheel centre is welded to the rims.

There's no permanent answer to this IMO, try as we may to.find a solution.

My view is keep 2 sets of everything and while one is being used get the others refurbished, and on a 3-4 year cycle, the car will look reasonable all the time.

Last edited:

Hi Gav,

I think it is time I had my wheels looking like new again.

Fortunatly I have a spare set.

So I will go to my friendly tyre man, and ask him to knock 5 tyres off the 5 rims that look the worst.

Then give Chicago Coatings a call, and arrange with them when to drop off the rims.

This is the address Google comes up with

Address: Manchester Rd,
Mossley,
Ashton-under-Lyne,
Lancashire
OL5 9QA,
United Kingdom

The rims I will be giving them, are undamaged, but look scruffy with peeling lacquer.

Not sure what colour to go with, or keep the original silver.

Any one been there recently, and have ideas of prices for 5 off 17 inch rims?

Gra,

Phone:+44 1457 832046

Last edited:
Hi Gav,

I think it is time I had my wheels looking like new again.

Fortunatly I have a spare set.

So I will go to my friendly tyre man, and ask him to knock 5 tyres off the 5 rims that look the worst.

Then give Chicago Coatings a call, and arrange with them when to drop off the rims.

This is the address Google comes up with

Address: Manchester Rd,
Mossley,
Ashton-under-Lyne,
Lancashire
OL5 9QA,
United Kingdom

The rims I will be giving them, are undamaged, but look scruffy with peeling lacquer.

Not sure what colour to go with, or keep the original silver.

Any one been there recently, and have ideas of prices for 5 off 17 inch rims?

Gra,

Phone:+44 1457 832046
Any one know of a working email address for these guys?

Gra.

Dout they have one graham.

You have the number. Give them a buzz mate :icon-wink:

You'll never know till you do it Chas. I had my steels meticulously sand blasted, primed, powder coated and kept under cover in my shed and even they are showing signs of rusting where the wheel centre is welded to the rims.

There's no permanent answer to this IMO, try as we may to.find a solution.

My view is keep 2 sets of everything and while one is being used get the others refurbished, and on a 3-4 year cycle, the car will look reasonable all the time.

I bought a set of steel Modular rims from Silverline in Warwick. I filled the space between centre and rim with a bead of RTV sealant. Then I gave each wheel another coat (spray can) of satin black. Holding up OK after 12 months.

Roger

Dout they have one graham.

You have the number. Give them a buzz mate :icon-wink:
Hi Karl,

Just in Spain for now, so just thinking email is a a cheaper option than a chat on the mobi.

Gra.

Got you mate.

They are very old school so email won't be an option. Suppressed if it is .

Back