Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

wheels/tyres with stock suspension??

john.c

Country Flag
great_britain
hello to everyone, i'm new to here and land cruisers.

can any one tell me, will 285/75/16 tyres, on 8x16 aloys et 0
fit on an 80 running stock suspension.

would also like to fit 30mm spacers,
however all i see available are non hubcentric spacers.

i've built many Drift Cars and run spacers, but always hubcentric,
allways been told how wheel studs just hold the wheel to the hub, the hub(spigot) takes the downward load, ie minimum shear loading on the spacer stud.
all the spacer i've seen have the full downward loading, so the studs are taking the full down ward shear force.

has anyone had any problems running this style of spacer??

cheers john

Hi and welcome John.

The original fit (on original 16" x 8" rims on a 1994 HDJ80) should be 275-70-R16 (31.2" x 10.83") but I've found these seem to be like hens teeth to get hold of. I'm not sure if earlier model 80s are any different.

According to US data on offroaders.com an 80 will take up to 32" dia x 11.5" wide tyres without fouling the body. It would need a 2.5" lift to take the next size of 33" x 12.5" (though I'm not sure why they picked 2.5" and not a standard 2")

Taking the 32" x 11.5" as absolute, the largest metric below this is 285 70 R16 at 31.7"x11.22"

The nearest metric above this is your 285 75 R16 at 32.8"x11.22" which is only 0.4" bigger on the radius and 0.14" narrower one side. These may well be be ok but I've not personally confirmed it.

Other sizes I have looked into:-

265 80R16 is 32.7"x10.43" is only .35" bigger on the radius but a good half inch less wide than the maximum they state.

265 75R16 is 31.6"x10.43" and perfect for being closest to original size (and what I now have fitted).

I hope this helps but others on here with more experience can probably give a straight yes or no. IMO they would probably fit but might just touch under extreme articulation. Could well be fine 99.99% of the time.

On the subject of spacers, the hubs on an 80 (and many other 4x4s) protrude through the wheel centre so even with, say, 30mm spacers the studs aren't taking the load and the rim will still have plenty to sit on.

Adding spacers will of course throw all the tyre info above significantly out as tyres could then foul the arches.

Hope you have a great time with your cruiser.

Richard

Last edited:
LC 5.JPGcheers for the info on the tyres, i've got 275/70/16 BFG all terrain on it now,
gonna replace them as the last owner put them on 14 years ago, 80k miles they've done, still got 7mm of tread!
was just gonna go slightly wider really.

as for the spacers... 30mm... front wheel would still sit on the hub....rear doesnt, so just held by the studs.

gave it a bath today!

Look through the forum search facility for raging debates about spacers John :lol:

I've got them (non-hubcentric) on my 80, Muxley, & have never had any issue with them running 35's... :icon-cool:

Others (Chas particularly) have...

Nice truck - I like white ones :icon-cool:

as for the spacers... 30mm... front wheel would still sit on the hub....rear doesnt, so just held by the studs.

Must be different to mine, being earlier.
There's at least 45-50mm to play with on my rear axles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425921321.830524.jpg

Not all Cruises are created equal it seems. [emoji4]

Last edited:
the 285's clear OK on stock suspension but, I have found that vehicles that have then fitted tend to lose the rear OE mud flaps?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im running a 285 on my 97 fj80 with a two inch wheel spacer and they work fine. The 285 also fits without any spacer. That setup should work...

I want 285's but it is too dangerous!! I tried. I begged at the inspection station, I used my best Spanglish all to no avail :(, still working on it. God forbid I mention spacers, :eusa-naughty: there would be a meltdown in Murcia!! Trying an engineer for the seat removal authorisation next week..........yeh......I know.

regards

Dave

thanks for the replies, will probably get the 285/75 /16 BFG all terrains.

most important job to do 1st...... big end bearings.
its done 215,000 miles and still on the original end shells.

Welcome John.

Nice looking truck you have. I like the white ones nearly as much as the black.

The 285/75/16s will be fine stock also fine with the 30mm spacers I run them myself.

If you havnt already got the bearings I keep them in stock if your looking for acls.

Welcome John.

Nice looking truck you have. I like the white ones nearly as much as the black.

The 285/75/16s will be fine stock also fine with the 30mm spacers I run them myself.

If you havnt already got the bearings I keep them in stock if your looking for acls.
Thanks Karl, ordered some from Julian, this afternoon. But got your number, if I need anything else.
Cheers john.

No probs John. As long as your sorted and they're getting done ;)

Back